Teaching The Modern Day Pinay To Budget

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I have been dating pinay for about 7 years now looking for the right one. Each girl I have always tried to teach how to budget, and not live from week to week on what money they have.

Even with my current girl, who most likely will become my fiancée this time next week, teaching how to budget is a very hard task. Has anyone else come across this magical trait of the pinay. Give them 5000peso a week to budget with and they spend 5000peso a week, give them 10,000peso a week to budget, and they spend 10,000peso a week.

Always makes me smile when I hear Eb explaining to me how she budgets each week with the money she has. 

One of these days I will make her understand that some money needs to be saved for a rainy day :)

• Like 5

bows00
Posted
Posted

Give them 5000peso a week to budget with and they spend 5000peso a week, give them 10,000peso a week to budget, and they spend 10,000peso a week

I'm confused... isn't that the definition of a "zero based budget"??

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

One of these days I will make her understand that some money needs to be saved for a rainy day

Oh ok. Yes, a percentage of your budget should always be invested...Always Pay Yourself First! I think this is a problem not limited to the Philippines...

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Give them 5000peso a week to budget with and they spend 5000peso a week, give them 10,000peso a week to budget, and they spend 10,000peso a week

I'm confused... isn't that the definition of a "zero based budget"??

:1 (103):  :1 (103):  :1 (103):  :1 (103):  :1 (103):

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes, all Filipinas can manage a budget where they finnish all money during the period  :)

Many know the word "budget", but almost all use it only in a sentence like   "Out of budget"  (=No money left)   :hystery:

But I know of a few Filipinas, who manage to even SAVE money for future plans, so it's possible. The hard part is to find them  :)

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

It's us Mike not them. I give myself 1000-1500/week pocket money and will make sure to last it out even having a small balance, or getting small extras for the kids or for Gina if she requests.

The Filipina typically wont plan more than a few days ahead. So if I give Gina 5k on Monday tell her it's for 7 days, by Weds Thursday she's running short. Now she will try to make do for 3 days on nothing and we all suffer.

If I tell her up to Friday and the money for the weekend is with me, she does better.

And Mike. They don't waste the money, most of the stuff they buy is household related or for the kids.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

There are some who can and some who can't even with in the same family group ...... J ...her mother and one brother can and do budget and have left over .... her other 2 sister (one older and one younger) and her other brother can't budget to save their lives and constantly come up short ..... I guess it is just luck of the draw as far as finding one who can budget and save money ..... JMHO .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
They don't waste the money, most of the stuff they buy is household related or for the kids.
Yes. (In most cases.)

To be fair to the Filipinas, most of them have a big NEED to fill.

while rather many people in our home countries are in big dept, although they earn MUCH...  (=Living at a luxury level they can't afford, although they CAN afford a rather good life, but spend more than they earn anyway !!!  For instance at TV they show a couple, who earn around 10 000 USD a month, but they had millions is SEK in dept MORE than they had assets. Brain dead :1 (103):

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I will agree to a point Thomas but of late I certainly am beginning to think long the lines that for many, their exposure to money has gotten them into a big want list, rather than a big need list

JMHO but................. :)

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I will agree to a point Thomas but of late I certainly am beginning to think long the lines that for many, their exposure to money has gotten them into a big want list, rather than a big need list

JMHO but................. :)

Jack :thumbsup:

Corect.

There are different types of people though.

/Some are gold diggers, who never get enough.

/Some are satisfied if they just don't need to worry about affording the basics and a LITLE more. I prefer these  :mocking:

/Some are basicly NOT gold diggers, BUT after a poor life they can have got taste for some luxury as resorts and fashion if they get access to it. Left to see if they will stay at that level or will be satisfied with less after a while.

• Like 2