Teaching The Modern Day Pinay To Budget

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

To be fair to the Filipinas, most of them have a big NEED to fill.

I will agree to a point Thomas but of late I certainly am beginning to think long the lines that for many, their exposure to money has gotten them into a big want list, rather than a big need list

JMHO but................. :)

Jack :thumbsup:

This is so true, Jack. Before we came along the wants did not surface because the needs were priority, I guess.

• Like 2

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

My late wife, an American from Hell's Kitchen, truly did not know how to budget. Her 'wants' list always trumped her budget. I, on the other hand, learned how to control spending. For example, I always know exactly how much cash I have on hand, down to the penny. I track my bank balances, and know how to move money around to maximize my spending power. I always use debit cards, never credit cards.

I was going to say exactly how much I have to spend, but thought better of it. I don't want to be targeted by some predatory person with a deep desire to part me from my money. Let's just say I was living on a shoestring budget for a long time, and now have a bit extra every month. If when I make my move to the Philippines, I will truly live like a King -- of a minor kingdom that is ruled by a benevolent despot.

post-5148-0-95285000-1446380527_thumb.jp

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Give them 5000peso a week to budget with and they spend 5000peso a week, give them 10,000peso a week to budget, and they spend 10,000peso a week.

If you gave me 5000/week I'd spend it in an instant too and wouldn't save a dime - and probably come back and ask you for more :) Sorry to sound flippant here but you've answered your own question. People value money when they've worked their a$$ off to earn it. Take 2 kids. Give one $10 and make the other one work for 10 hours to earn the $10. See how they value the money.

Now I am not implying that your gf does not work or do valuable things around the home. But your question is why can't someone budget when they are given money and I think you answered the question.

When my wife arrived in the US I gave her money for her needs and she couldn't wait to hit the mall. She now works and saves almost all of what she makes. She hates spending at the mall since she knows how many hours of work it took her to earn the cash for the new boots she wants.

Course she still buys the boots :)

Edited by davewe
  • Like 4

Josef-01
Posted
Posted

I learned to not give any money. We do shopping once a week which cost us about 2.5 to 3k. If my wife want something she come to me and ask me. I always need to hear the reason, if she need it or what for she need it.

I noticed exactly the same like Jack, so that's why I decided to do this way.

Sent from Huawei P8 lite using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I learned to not give any money. We do shopping once a week which cost us about 2.5 to 3k. If my wife want something she come to me and ask me. I always need to hear the reason, if she need it or what for she need it.

I noticed exactly the same like Jack, so that's why I decided to do this way.

That way she will never get any exersise in follow budget...   :)

((My parents started teaching me when I were around 5 yo by giving me "week allovance".  They let me decide myself and mostly I had some left in the end of the week.

We got chance - if we wanted to - to earn extra by doing part of home work my mother had (puting pamflets in envelopes).

When I got a bit older, they offered me to pay half if I saved the other half of something expensive. That way I got a tape recorder, they did cost much back then.))

I plan to teach my kids something similar, hoping my wife will not sabotage it   :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When I got a bit older, they offered me to pay half if I saved the other half of something expensive. That way I got a tape recorder, they did cost much back then.)) I plan to teach my kids something similar, hoping my wife will not sabotage it  

:unsure: Hmmmmmmmmm this could well lead to another Topic! 

Jack  :)

Morning All  :morning1:

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

It's funny when it was just my money, geez was hard to get her to budget, now she is working, how things have changed.

• Like 5

Josef-01
Posted
Posted

It's funny when it was just my money, geez was hard to get her to budget, now she is working, how things have changed.

I'm waiting 4 that day... LOL

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I'm waiting 4 that day... LOL

Now when she has to buy anything with HER money that old saying come to mind " As tight as a fishes a..hole"

• Like 2