Jeepneys, How Do They Work?

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Simple question, I've been there many times, caught multiple trikes, taxis etc but I've only been in one or 2 jeepneys and that was with someone that was guided me after a few too many Red Horses or Tuandays.  

For example, I'm at Ayala in Cebu, I want to get to La Vie Parisienne in Lahug.  How do I know how much to pay and how do I know which one to be on?

I would like to add some more tidbits of information.  Often times you can readily see their routes painted on the side, some are even color coded (like in Olongapo) for certain routes.  More tagalog instructions: para po (stop sir), sa canto po (at the corner sir) or a sharp rap on the ceiling to signal him to stop.  Speaking of stopping, sometimes the driver will, all of the sudden stop and take a leak at his front left wheel.  Also don't be alarmed he's still smoking a cigarette while pumping diesel (usual near his seat or underneath it).

If you're lucky enough to sit at the front, you will be amaze how they can drive, collect money, give proper change while navigating through traffic like a rape ape.  By the way, they love having a beautiful Pinay sitting next to them.

Here on Mactan they have reversible signs they put on there windscreens so you no where they are going, sometimes fun to get on the wrong one :hystery:

When we use them we go to the Jeepney station, they are all lined up in there destination bay, just ask, always a pretty filipina around to guide you. They pack you tighter than sardines, lucky most of the passengers are filipinas and built the way they are they can fit more in and is always interesting to see who you end up squashed against, can sometimes get hot and steamy with all those lovely young bodies in there.

When you want to stop just take a coin and tap on the overhead rail.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Don't converse with the other passengers and avoid body contact,

:hystery:   :hystery:   :hystery:

Must be something unique to your area Chris.  ALL the jeepneys I have ridden in (when full at least) would make sardines believe they have plenty of room in that tin.

As to not talking, foreigners get a lot of leeway there.  Especially in cities like Cebu and Dumaguete.  They expect us to be 'confused' and are polite enough to help out, but when our filipina partners are with us then they expect her to know and we don't get the smiles and royal treatment that we get travelling along, but I admit that I have never ridden on a jeep in your area and I expect Luzon in general may be less friendly.

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We vacationed in Manila a couple years ago (never again ha ha).  My wife did not like the jeepneys.  Not sure how they always operate but in heavy traffic we noticed that they never stopped.  They would slow down and people would jump on or off.  I had no problem with it as I am used to the buses in Mexico doing this.  My wife hated it. I would have to help her on before I jumped in...

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
ALL the jeepneys I have ridden in (when full at least) would make sardines believe they have plenty of room in that tin.

That's right Dave. But still you know in Filipino society unnecessary body contact, like eg touching the arm is very taboo.

And Dave, tell me honestly. Do Filipino's on jeepney's engage in any kind of conversation with people they don't know? For me they don't, but sure the foreigners have an exception and that's because they assume you don't have a clue what you are doing. Now get off the jeepney, people in general will not engage in casual conversation with people they don't know.

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Slowly with minimal if non-existent indicators (the car drivers view). 

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Generally I find strangers don't talk... but I do get a lot of questions from strangers, on the jeepney and off.  Just general questions - nothing too personal: my name, where I from, am I married, how many kids here in the PI's, how much is my retirement... ha ha

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Ask and you shall receive ..... this list is about 3 years old but may still be good as they may add some but I doubt they will delete any .... hope this helps ....

post-11-0-54321600-1447235113_thumb.jpg   post-11-0-95525800-1447235173_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-59755400-1447235219_thumb.jpg   post-11-0-66724100-1447235253_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Easy way.....................sit down hand 8 pesos (here in Manila), ride until you get to where you want to go..........if you are riding for a loooooooooooooong time, and someone makes gestures for more money, hand over another 8 pesos,,,repeat until your where you need to go.

Yes it is a bit of a flippant answer, but trust me it works.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Did I miss anything?

Jeepneys, How Do They Work?

Answer.  Duct tape, tie wire, a few welds here and there, and some tarps for the windows when it rains.  :morning1:

• Like 4