Befriending Filipinos

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Believe it or not, 90% of my friends here are Filipinos.

Well, I'm part of that 10% where I can't leave the reactor room.  I was banished down there by Steve because I was a ba-boy.....he, he.

Jake, in Australia you are called a bar fly!  Every pubs needs a half dozen of them.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

On our last trip to Phils, I met a g/f of hers and they went to school together.  Her and her husband were great people, we had a few very good days with them, they showed us around and we saw some great sights in Laoag.

I have very few Thai friends as I unfortunately I speak little Thai, but I have met many nice people and just a smile and a wave between us showed a connection.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

i have a handful Filipino friends in my area, they seem to enjoy the company and idle chat we have. Recently I have noted that with all the Doom & Gloom around, even at varying Ages their Thirst for knowledge is on the level of some of the Children, Those that can speak an amount of English Enjoy the Conversations, Those that have Little are eager to learn,

I don't get any hangers on and askers and that puts for me, a little more trust in them. They also love it when one of my "Foreign" friends pops in Has a bottle or two as they then feel important in Joining in.

I have found many barriers broken down by having Local Friends in that they will then see us in a Different light.

It has also taught me at my tender age :lol: How to react and talk a little more sensibly to locals I don't know. ( Less table thumping.)

Dave, More of us should have local Friends, That way we just may be able to see life from their point of View and they are appreciative of it. I also find that they would rather you Speak English as they can learn than us make a total mess of the local language and people getting upset.   One thing I will say, is that unless it is something absolutely terrible that happens, you will have friends for life.

Dave, I really do Admire you thoughts and Spirit on this one. :thumbsup:

Jack  :)

Morning All  :morning1:

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Different answer, perhaps. I have three really good friends who are Filipinos, and another group of acquaintances who might become friends, but they have a similar background to me and a similar level of education. There's another group of younger guys who are really part of K's social circle - intelligent, thoughtful, younger men and their wives.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I've a few Filipino friends, and weirdly enough, most of them are eatery owners.  I spend a lot of time in those places, chat with the owners, and have found a few with which I have things in common.  These are real friends...the kind you have over for dinner and they invite you to their home also.  The kind of friends that pay their own way when you go out, and come by to check on you when they haven't heard from you in a few days.  Real friends.

I would say the vast majority of foreigners acquire new friends by opening their wallet, and there's nothing wrong with that.  It's certainly easier than weeding through a hundred locals to find a few you can relate to.  Most of us were a bit lonely in the social scene before coming here, and most guys have no problem with acquiring Filipino friends in that manner.   The problem is that buying friends is the norm and having real friends is quite the exception, so your real friends will typically get lots of sh&t for hanging out with you on equal terms.  It can cause some problems and end potential friendships.  Same with any relationship here, actually.

Hope that's not too negative, but's that's how I see it.  :)

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

I would say the vast majority of foreigners acquire new friends by opening their wallet

Initially, yes, it's ok to show you are not a tightwad. Drinks being a key factor.

Over the long haul, no. Just a waste of money. It takes time to seek out these friendships and I am sure we all have acquaintances. A friend shares some common ground and it must be a 2 way relationship.

I have maybe 2 close friends, one in particular, a fellow Aussie. The other one an older Filipina lady who does own a café and I frequent the place. A real friend in a 2 way relationship and she's older than me.

Then quite a number of close acquantances.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Happy here for now, I mentioned to one of my friends about Bananas. Just before Lunch he came up on his little M/C hey Jack!  look wot I brung you.  post-2148-0-54529500-1448686833_thumb.jp

No Charge, now here we are talking Filipino Friends. :thumbsup:

Jack  :lol:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I made a lot of Filipino friends in the Rotary club.  They are way above my paygrade, though... like a judge, city councilman, governor....

I prefer acquaintances over friends usually.  I am not quite  a loner - more like selectively social ha ha.

Around the neighborhood everyone is super friendly so it is easy to make friends.  When I am out for a morning walk I am often invited to coffee, and on evening walks I am invited to tagay.  (by strangers - friends I have not met yet?).  Everyone is friendly enough but the language barrier is pretty stout out here, away from the city.  We can talk enough to drink...

I enjoy tagay with the college kids better.  It is a mix of men & women, and much better conversations.  Also, the college kids have better pulutan... and better eye candy

I never really got on with old people (my age) back in the US either.  I hung out with college aged in TX too. I just don't have anything in common with old, close-minded people.  And we have way too many of them over here...    :tiphat:

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted
I never really got on with old people (my age) back in the US either.  I hung out with college aged in TX too. I just don't have anything in common with old, close-minded people.  And we have way too many of them over here.

I like the older guys who have lived in the USA, more common ground there.

Not so much connection with the younger ones. If college graduated, with a bit of maturity, I find the level is more similar to my own.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've a few Filipino friends, and weirdly enough, most of them are eatery owners.  I spend a lot of time in those places, chat with the owners, and have found a few with which I have things in common.  These are real friends...the kind you have over for dinner and they invite you to their home also.  The kind of friends that pay their own way when you go out, and come by to check on you when they haven't heard from you in a few days.  Real friends.

Much the same as you Larry, we have been lucky enough to find some really good friends here and in one case have become part of their family, they give much more to us than they receive back. To me they are warm, honest and very hospitable, makes me glad that I met them.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 2