Mosquitos. Or, If You Prefer, Mosquitoes.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

I did forum searches using both spellings and found nothing. Both spellings are included in the title to make this thread easy to find for future searchers.

This is the tropics, so of course there are as many bugs as you would not wish for. I arrived in Bohol 10 days ago and mosquitoes have feasted on my precious bodily fluid several times each day. I expected that. I brought a good supply of mosquito repellent with me from the US. It contains various percentages of DEET, including some that's 99%. Without that the situation would be much worse. 

Mosquitoes abound where I'm from in the US during Summer. A mosquito control program keeps them in check within the city limits but there are many elsewhere, particularly near bodies of water and in the mountains. Most of the time I can feel it when they start to bite and I can swat them. But here I have not even once been aware of one until it has departed and the itching and swelling begins. It seems to take much longer than it did in the US for the itching and swelling to go away.

What has been your experience? How do you cope?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

What has been your experience? How do you cope?

Unfortunately, lamok (mosquitos) is the only thing I can't tolerate in the Philippines or any other tropical area.  I become a psycho killer with a full can of BayGon.  It must be in my blood because I would smell like fresh apples (returning balikbayan from the states).  My wife Judy laughs at me because I'm such a wuzz.  

Do you have screened windows and doors?

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Windows yes, doors no. I've had a few bites indoors but mostly outside.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The mosquitos here seem to be smaller than the ones I was used to in the USA.  When we first got here two years ago, those little blood suckers really went after me in a big way.  Now, not so much and I do not use any repellant.  Maybe my body chemistry changed or they decided that white meat wasn't all that great.    I did find a "great" way to stop the itch and swelling if you do get bit.  Buy a tube of "Clobetasol Propionate" cream from the drugstore (my tube says it is .0586%).  My doctor had prescribed it because something was causing an allergic rash on my hands.  Discovered it perfect anit-itch for bites, just put just the smallest little bit of this on the bite.  If you can keep from scratching for just a few minutes, the itch goes completely away and does not come back, and the swelling seems to go away faster.  Great stuff.  That being said; I am NOT a doctor, so like any free advice, you get what you pay for.  :lol:   You can do some research and decide if you want to try it.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It is not just mosquitoes but also ants that bother me. We have screens but still some mosquitoes get inside from too many people going in and out. I don't like to use BayGon, Deet, nor those Katol coils as google says they are very bad for humans. Just recently, I saw that Listerine mouth wash diluted in a spray bottle works. Across the middle of our screens, there are sliders so that you can open them to reach in to open the windows. For the longest time, I could not get people to keep them closed. They don't understand that air will enter thru a screen and that you can talk thru a screen without opening the slider and leaving it open so I fixed that. I screwed them all shut.

This year, the ants and mosquitoes are not as bad as other years as we have many frogs now.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

My s.o is a magnate for mossies, me not, I have oily skin plus I am a sour old bas...d so they leave me alone.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

For insect bites of all kinds including ants we use the good ol' Filipino stand by Tiger Balm red or white the (red smells better) .... sold here in the Phils by the truck load ..... :merrychristmas: :xmas_girl (1):

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Believe as you stay longer Guy problem will lessen. Not sure they get sick of you or one starts not to notice it so much.

When I return from a trip abroad notice the problem first few weeks, after not so. Presume you taking all the usual precautions, screens here are not 100% and some always get through.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Seems like my Medication helps no end, The Aspirin and Blood Thinners. They Obviously don't like my Blood because I get Very Few bother me.

Jack :unsure:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Seems like my Medication helps no end, The Aspirin and Blood Thinners. They Obviously don't like my Blood because I get Very Few bother me.

Does this happen?  :hystery:

cf653994e5636a0dc105dbeee54d07c7.jpg

• Like 2