Mosquitos. Or, If You Prefer, Mosquitoes.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Seems like my Medication helps no end, The Aspirin and Blood Thinners. They Obviously don't like my Blood because I get Very Few bother me.

Does this happen?  :hystery:

cf653994e5636a0dc105dbeee54d07c7.jpg

:28:  :28:  :28:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

... or maybe this?  :dance:

4d7ef3c40424423afa3ff259cf722a8e.jpg

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There are many, many biting insects in Philippines but for some reason they all like my feet and ankles and leave the rest of my body alone.  So I wear thick socks with my sandals and look like a nerd, but a nerd with no insect bites Nyah Nyah!!   :mocking:

• Like 5

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

In the taiga and tundra country of the Far North we have two months of B-52 mosquito armadas. They're big, they're deadly and you hear them coming for you. They swarm you in large numbers. I have pictures of my uncle and I with 50-100 on each of our outer garments when we stop moving and the wind is dead.  If you're not protected by net, thick clothing, chemicals, etc., prepare for a battle to retain your life-blood. They drive caribou herds to coastal or high mountain ice and snow fields in search of relief. They are a true threat to you sanity and can endanger your life if you don't have defensive barriers.I use what works in the Far North... a large metal spoon or silverware knive handle that can hold a charge of heat.... which is rolled across the raised with bite (hold it in place to long and you will suffer a mild skin burn) in order to de-activate the body chemistry which produces the itch sensation ( Sorry.. I forgot the exact biology, but you can google it).

You're far better off living in a place with day breeze, night breeze, and little nearby  habitat vegetation for starts. Good screening is a given. Indoor fans or AC, along with bed netting keeps them at bay. If necessary, mosq. repellent on exposed skin. I wear pants and long sleeved shirts at dinner outside every night on our terrace with dope on my slippered feet and back of hands.

I also use 'blue-light' zappers and fan-nets to kill any who make it past the screens. 

I don't wear protective socks around the house, but I have several friends that do during mosq. feeding hours. 

All that being said... this is the most mosquito free Nov-Dec. that I have experienced in a dozen years here for some reason... lack or precipitation, perhaps.  Good luck with your armor and defenses.  

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I forgot to add that the 'hot-spoon' method of triggering and de-activating the histimines that make you itch when the welt raises up is accomplished by filling a coffee mug with hot water (doesn't have to be boiling or you will get 1st degree burns on your skin) and submersing a tablespoon of heavy handled silverware knife in the hot water. After it takes on the transferred heat charge you roll it (the convex surface of the spoon or the rounded knife handle) across the bite welt several times, taking care not to burn your skin. You will get immediate relief from your itching as the heat penetrates and triggers the chemical release.

Like I said.... google it for the science behind it.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I forgot to add that the 'hot-spoon' method of triggering and de-activating the histimines that make you itch when the welt raises up is accomplished by filling a coffee mug with hot water (doesn't have to be boiling or you will get 1st degree burns on your skin) and submersing a tablespoon of heavy handled silverware knife in the hot water. After it takes on the transferred heat charge you roll it (the convex surface of the spoon or the rounded knife handle) across the bite welt several times, taking care not to burn your skin. You will get immediate relief from your itching as the heat penetrates and triggers the chemical release.

Triple LIKE sir!  

Perhaps you could start a new topic about life around the Arctic Circle.  I love watching Life Below Zero and Alaskan State Troopers TV series.  

Edited by Jake

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Seems like my Medication helps no end, The Aspirin and Blood Thinners. They Obviously don't like my Blood because I get Very Few bother me.

Does this happen?  :hystery:

cf653994e5636a0dc105dbeee54d07c7.jpg

:28:  :28:  :28:

One of the first bites actually happened on the main vein on the inside of my left elbow. :boohoo:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

My wife drips hot candle wax on the bite. Maybe the same effect.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
My wife drips hot candle wax on the bite. Maybe the same effect.

Ahh the memories.  My ex and I played games like that.  Does yours tie you up first?   :thumbs-up-smile:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
 In the taiga and tundra country of the Far North we have two months of B-52 mosquito armadas.

I remember, years ago, staying overnight at a lodge in Tok Junction.  The mosquitoes were as bad as you say.  The only way I could sleep was to get totally sh&tface drunk.  When I awoke in the morning the floor and window sills were covered with dead mosquitoes.  I can only conclude that I killed them all.  Alcohol poisoning is my guess  :cheersty:

The second worse mosquito encounter was the summer of '72 in Aklavik and Inuvik.  Everything you say brigs back those memories. You're not exaggerating :no:  

• Like 3