Health Insurance To Supplement Philhealth?

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted
We are relocating Feb 1 and it's time for me to make some health insurance policy decisions/purchases.  We are:

Myself, 58, good health, but on 3 daily meds for BP and cholesterol.

Asawa, 33, excellent health

Daughter, 4 years

Son, 9 months

We will be entering Balikbayan, after 6 months or so, I'll be applying for 13a.

Looks like Philhealth and a second policy, was looking at BCBS PI, but it seems they exclude preexisting conditions permanently.  I see the BCBS thing has been pounded to death in other posts, but back-of-napkin math on PhilHealth seems worth it.

We will not be returning to US, will most likely exclude that on any policy.

Anyone know what I can expect to pay for prescription maintenance meds (listed above or equivalents)?  Any experience with exclusion of "pre-existing" conditions?

I have a decent budget for this and can get the policy coverage/costs info myself, just looking for some direction.

Thanks!  I'm probably going to purchase the policies before departure.

chris49
Posted
Posted
Myself, 58, good health, but on 3 daily meds for BP and cholesterol

What Meds? Branded original? Or Generic possibly from Indonesia, India, maybe Thailand?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I use generic meds for my heart condition (mild arrhythmia) and to be honest? I don't bother to submit the bill to my health insurance... They are cheap enough that I don't make the minimum for reimbursement... Hehe! Shop around once you get settled... Everybody has different prices... And make sure it's a "branded" generic and not a knock off...

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Instead of BCBS, have a look at Blue Cross Philippines. http://www.bluecross.com.ph/

Some but not all pre-existing conditions are excluded. You have to purchase it before arrival. Prices are lower if you will be in PI only. I have read that claims are paid out properly.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You have to purchase it before arrival.

Are you sure about that?  I ask because a fellow I know claims to be the representative for Philippine Blue Cross and says I can enroll through him.  I cannot mention the name due to the forum advertising rules but if someone was to go through the research I would not be surprised to find out you can buy it when residing in Philippines.  I was quoted 50K pesos a year but he said they may deny certain claims as being related to my adult onset diabetes so I did not go any further.  So far I have been okay 'self insuring' but its risky.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

To buy Blue Cross, you either buy direct from them while out of country - or through a secondary marketer (independent) once in the Philippines... Strange, I know... :)

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Looks like Philhealth and a second policy, was looking at BCBS PI, but it seems they exclude preexisting conditions permanently.

It's Blue Cross Philippines, there is no BCBS Philippines. I don't know who gave you the preexisting information but I don't believe it's correct. My family and I have had BC Phils for almost 5 years, only had 2 claims (one the result of an accident) the other a standard hospitalization claim and both were paid in full. Anyone who says xyz insurance excludes preexisting but abc insurance doesn't is full of crap (imo). Read the brochures carefully, get with an agent once you're here. You can get travel insurance to fill the gap until you're settled. I have Inpatient insurance only so I can't help with the meds costs (not taking any) but that info is in the brochures.

We will not be returning to US

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that one.

• Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that one.
Where should I send that dollar? :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Are you sure about that?

My apology for the late reply. Our policy cannot cover the remaining 111 days because you are already here in the Philippines. We have a Travel Insurance Inbound which can cover your stay in the Philippines but you should have got it before arriving here.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I use generic meds for my heart condition (mild arrhythmia) and to be honest? I don't bother to submit the bill to my health insurance... They are cheap enough that I don't make the minimum for reimbursement... Hehe! Shop around once you get settled... Everybody has different prices... And make sure it's a "branded" generic and not a knock off...

I agree. And I think for any generic med or meds, I would be surprised if the cost would be above 100 pesos/day, probably way under.

• Like 2