Health Insurance To Supplement Philhealth?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
what's happens if you can't get to that best hospital,the one that is near don't have the right equipment or the right doctors/ nurses to help. Just another thought to ponder on

Fascinating timing.  Were you listening in when I talked to the doctor today?  He told me that Silliman Medical Clinic is currently the most advanced hospital in Dumaguete and is still not properly equipped to handle heart problems, which are the number one ailment of expats.

Where is the best?  He said St Lukes in Manila would be his recommendation but closer to home would be Perpetual Succor, Chung Hua or Cebu Docs (I may have misheard that last one).  His best recommendation was Perpetual Succour Hospital.  All of those 3 hospitals are in Cebu but he said Perpetual is equipped for everything up to and including a heart transplant.  Many other hospitals are not.

He went on to say that if you have any heart problems you need to live very close to a cardiac hospital like Perpetual to have the best chance of survival.  My friend who is in the hospital now is getting the best possible care at Silliman, but they cannot give him the treatment he needs and he is too weak to get him transferred to Perpetual in Cebu.  His chances there would go up considerably from the less than 50% chance of survival he is getting now.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

You have all this great insurance cover, but what's happens if you can't get to that best hospital,the one that is near don't have the right equipment or the right doctors/ nurses to help.

Just another thought to ponder on

I don't understand this problem.  I would feel any hospital is better than no hospital.  There are chances in life and again one has to weigh the cost/benefit factor for each.  No one can make these decisions for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Health insurance to supplement PhilHealth . . . I just noticed one of the google ads on this site leads to a HealthCare Cash Plan called Paramount Direct.

It has me thinking that I am paying too much for my spouse's PhilHealth.  At 20 years old, the premium for her PhilHealth and the benefit it pays is the same as for a 60 year old (as far as I can tell anyway) but the premiums for a 20 year on at Paramount Direct are similar and they have very nice benefits.  They pay 1,000 pesos a day for regular hospitalization.  They pay double for serious problems like cancer. They pay an extra 20K if she is hospitalized for over 30 days and the list goes on.

I have already enrolled her in PhilHealth but I wish I had seen this first.  I think PhilHealth overcharges for a 20 year old whose only likelihood of being in hospital would be pregnancy or dengue.

They also have a plan for ages 60 to 75 but I don't think it is cost effective.

• Like 1