Health Insurance To Supplement Philhealth?

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Sorry about that.  Try the link below.

https://www.chministries.org/default.aspx

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Am I being silly here,

Never having anything major in my life other then when I was younger, my japs eye seemed to have healed over and I could not pee, and I had to go to hospital for it to be cut open and to be sorted out.

Anyway being fit and not taking anything at all do I need insurance.

I have mentioned before about paying out so much cash for something that may never happen,

Plus you read about you pay for what you think you are covered for only to be told sorry your bronze package don't cover it, you need tripple tripple platinum's

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Am I being silly here,

Never having anything major in my life other then when I was younger, my japs eye seemed to have healed over and I could not pee, and I had to go to hospital for it to be cut open and to be sorted out.

I have mentioned before about paying out so much cash for something that may never happen,

Plus you read about you pay for what you think you are covered for only to be told sorry your bronze package don't cover it, you need tripple tripple platinum's

That's the thing about being an adult and caring for yourself in a place like the Philippjnes.  You get to decide what risk you are willing to take.  I've always looked at insurance as like gambling and I don't like to gamble.  And also hope to never have to use it.  But now I am no longer earning income, just living on the savings and I don't want to loose any more than I have to.  So like everything else in life, I weigh the risk and benefits.  I have found what works for me and each has to do that for themselves.  Just be careful to not over insure. Also remember, usually most insurance will cost you more the later in life you get in.  Good luck with your decisions.

• Like 4

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Well said.  Though some of my closest friends may argue my "being an adult", I couldn't agree more even though I may be a bit less adverse to "gambling" than you state.  Or I'd just stay here where at least I know the intolerable beating I'll take.  The PhilHealth site has been down since yesterday (gee, that's shocking), once it's up and I can add the math from what they provide and when, I think I can decide.

Actually, it looks like a BC travel insurance plan for 6 months may be the best bet.  It offers some very good medical coverage and a lot of other perks.  By then, we should be able to sort this out on the ground and so far, again, BC seems to be the best bet.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

As MikeB said:

My one claim for the accident was in the neighborhood of p2 million

So if you have 4 million pesos i the bank for emergency medical (2 million for the first occurrence and another 2 million in reserve in case it happens again or in case your wife is in the accident with you)  I would say you don't "need" insurance.  Keep in mind that it makes a difference what kind of medical care you get if you have insurance.  When you check into the best hospital in town and say:  Take good care of me as the insurance is paying it.";  you will get royal treatment.  Other people, like myself, who are self financed, have doctors who cut corners to try keep the bill down to where we can afford to pay it.  I have had some friends without insurance die in Philippine hospitals.  To date, I don't know anyone who died in hospital while having full medical insurance.  But that may just be because most of my friends are broke like me  :hystery:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I understand what you are saying dave.but there has to be a limit to whay you have to pay out and what you can afford to pay out each month or year to think I am fine,

It's been spoke about many times about the cost,I have tried to work it out but I keep coming back with silly figures,

I cannot afford to lose nearly half my monthly income on just in case, don't get me wrong I don't mind paying so much for the just in case,but what is that figure, I have no idea,

When I tried to work out blue cross for me and Emma the price came out over £3600 per year. Like I said yes get it but not at those prices,

What are the other boys doing who live out there, hope and pray or are you paying out

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Yikes dude, how did you get to 3600 pounds?  I just got a quote from BC PI:  Select Standard with ACCESS (that means they pay direct, no cash outlay and no waiting for reimbursement), no outpatient, no dental (unless an accident), 20% copay, 750K PHP max at 59K PHP annual for all of us, 4 people.  My math that's about $100 USD a month.  I have to look a bit more closely and maybe up the max, but that's what they quoted.  If I dump the ACCESS and go the reimbursement route, it's 18K PHP less.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yikes dude, how did you get to 3600 pounds?  I just got a quote from BC PI:  Select Standard with ACCESS (that means they pay direct, no cash outlay and no waiting for reimbursement), no outpatient, no dental (unless an accident), 20% copay, 750K PHP max at 59K PHP annual for all of us, 4 people.  My math that's about $100 USD a month.  I have to look a bit more closely and maybe up the max, but that's what they quoted.  If I dump the ACCESS and go the reimbursement route, it's 18K PHP less.

That sounds better.i will wait until I get back home before I look again for me and Ems, but thank you for writting this

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Yikes dude, how did you get to 3600 pounds? I just got a quote from BC PI: Select Standard with ACCESS (that means they pay direct, no cash outlay and no waiting for reimbursement), no outpatient, no dental (unless an accident), 20% copay, 750K PHP max at 59K PHP annual for all of us, 4 people. My math that's about $100 USD a month. I have to look a bit more closely and maybe up the max, but that's what they quoted. If I dump the ACCESS and go the reimbursement route, it's 18K PHP less.

I'm not sure how much 3600 pounds is but his figure is probably accurate for the upper tier or "dollar" plans, as BC calls them. I had Blue Royale Plan A which is a dollar plan but I passed an age threshold which puts me in another more costly plan with less coverage. As you get older you pay more for less. My dependents still have the plan and it runs about $1500 a year for them but their ages are much less. You've chosen a peso plan which is much less expensive but the coverage is considerably less. As far as being admitted w/o paying anything up front; that's not necessarily true; it depends on the hospital policy, some provincial hospitals don't take insurance at all.

I'm not recommending any company, what I am saying is to read the information very carefully and know exactly what you're getting. A good insurance agent can be very helpful.

• Like 4

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Mike, 100% agreed.  The Royale plans are pricey, but they are worldwide plans with high limits.  These are not easy waters to navigate.  Even when I was working (big company with 20 different plans and 3 providers), "apples to apples" comparisons were tough.  This adds a whole other layer of joy into the decision.  Who's going to get sick?  How sick?  When?  Where?  Crystal ball stuff, sheesh.