Another Thread About Living Costs

robert k
Posted
Posted

The OP said a spectacular life. There are spectacles all over the Philippines that cost nothing or a modest charge. As for food, I found that if you cook at home you can eat about the same as you did in the US for 1/3 less or thereabouts. It would be even less except spices and some things are going to cost more. A fried breaded pork chop doesn't care if the pig was US or Philippines.

Transportation can be cheap or not. A Ceres bus ticket between cities is cheap. Riding a jeepney can be cheap. I find I must have a vehicle because when I add up the nickel and diming and add in the factor that I often have to negotiate what is a set fare for locals, not to mention those who outright try to gouge me, it is cheaper and much more convenient to have my own vehicle. It also opens up cheap travel options for the island you are on. There is a lot to see on many islands within easy driving distance and if you have your own transport, you can pull over and look at anything you want in between. Having your own transport makes practical those nice outlying places with reasonable rent.

In Cebu one can take taxis around and it wasn't too expensive when I did it but if you go to a mall you could wait 1/2 hour or more in line at a taxi stand before it's your turn. Maybe longer when it rains because people who might normally walk or take a jeepney will take a taxi when it rains and there are only so many taxis.

• Like 4

Ynot
Posted
Posted

That is such a personal decision and the prices are so scattered as to make a budget impossible until you decide your choice of living arrangements. For example, you may find a small house for rent in a gated community in Consolacion. Cebu for as little as 15K a month (maybe less if you are very lucky) or you can rent a studio condo suite atop the Quest Hotel for 60,000K a month. Then there are many choices in between.

Edit: Although a a studio condo suite makes it sound fancy, it is really just a hotel room :hystery: that they call a condo.

I've stayed at the Quest a few times and did get to look at their apartments their. I liked the 1bedroom apartment over the 2 bedroom one.   A better layout, mind you they were selling them, I forget how much but I did a quick calculation at the time and it was over $300,000 Aud, so it seemed expensive at the time.

As for spending $3 k US a month, I would suggest that a is a luxury lifestyle in the Philippines compared to most people here.  It would be interesting to see what the average is,  I would wager it is probably closer to $1200 a month maybe a tad less.  I think if you were to complain about having $3k a month to spend, you would be classed as a whinger, as most people get along fine with much less.  People adapt their lifestyle to suit their budget, and if you earn more you tend to spend more.  Ive seen plenty of cases where persons earning much less than another person are better off asset wise because they are careful with their money.   

As I said we adapt to our budget, as long as we are all happy and can meet our obligations, it does not matter, at least we are living the dream (or in my case hope to live the dream on a more modest budget)

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

The OP said a spectacular life. There are spectacles all over the Philippines that cost nothing or a modest charge. As for food, I found that if you cook at home you can eat about the same as you did in the US for 1/3 less or thereabouts. It would be even less except spices and some things are going to cost more. A fried breaded pork chop doesn't care if the pig was US or Philippines.

Transportation can be cheap or not. A Ceres bus ticket between cities is cheap. Riding a jeepney can be cheap. I find I must have a vehicle because when I add up the nickel and diming and add in the factor that I often have to negotiate what is a set fare for locals, not to mention those who outright try to gouge me, it is cheaper and much more convenient to have my own vehicle. It also opens up cheap travel options for the island you are on. There is a lot to see on many islands within easy driving distance and if you have your own transport, you can pull over and look at anything you want in between. Having your own transport makes practical those nice outlying places with reasonable rent.

In Cebu one can take taxis around and it wasn't too expensive when I did it but if you go to a mall you could wait 1/2 hour or more in line at a taxi stand before it's your turn. Maybe longer when it rains because people who might normally walk or take a jeepney will take a taxi when it rains and there are only so many taxis.

Excellent read

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
As for spending $3 k US a month, I would suggest that a is a luxury lifestyle in the Philippines compared to most people here.

The majority of my real life friends live on more than that.  I'd say the average income for my group of friends, (who retired at about 55 after working 30 or more years and have lived here approx 5 years so they are now about 60) is getting close to US$3,500 and these guys just live normal lives.  I am the anomaly on the low end of the income scale.  The anomalies on the high end are bringing in well over US$5,000 a month and living in luxury.  Such is my experience among my peer group.  Those on the forum who make that much (wink wink nudge nudge to those I know who won't admit it) seldom talk about it and often try to give the impression that they are poor like us low end folk.

What are these 5,000 a month guys doing with their money that I can't keep up with?  Buying cars that cost over a million pesos.  Buying houses that cost 5 million pesos and up.  Taking their partners on trips to nearby countries. Buying their gf's/wives lots of material goodies that makes it hard for my Yvonne to be around them (as they are constantly showing off their possessions).  That's luxury, I think.

US$3,000 is not quite a luxury lifestyle in my view but its surely better than US$1,000 

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Looks like I am going to be the poorest among my new friends, when i move over,

But I will have a roof over my head money in the bank,food on the table, trips here and there and a loving wife to share it all with,now I know I am rich

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

All I can say is common sense stuff. Know how much you have to spend and then monitor what you like and see if it all adds up and still have some cash left. 

Cost of living is cheaper here and that goes without saying.  You can live very cheap if you live like someone who is a native here.  Eating out will be expensive in the long run. Imported food is expensive so you might have to live on Filipino food which is not all that bad but not all that good either. 

Since you do not plan on marrying a pinay maybe you might consider shacking up with one for economic reasons. She can cook for you, clean your place, and would still be cheaper than hiring a maid. You just have to find one that doesn't rip you off.

Good Luck

(snicker, grin)

obda
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the great replies. I currently live in a 1900 sq. ft./175 sq. meter house, and I would really not expect to that in Phills. Half that or even a little less would be fine, as long as it was a dedicate one bedroom - not a studio with dubious sliding doors that some people would make the claim of being a one bedroom. To be honest, I've lived abroad previously, in South Korea in the 1990's long before the ROK became globalized. having said that, would I live like a Pinoy? Probably not, but I could certainly adjust. My gluttonous vices are cheese, beer and the occasional shag. My initial plan is six months on/six months off during our winter/rainy season. Not worried about the visa, can easily do the 10k visa if required. And while I'm there, occasional forays to outer reaches of Phills, along with other countries.

Initially I thought about going to LOS. There are upsides and downsides. These days I sense Thailand doesn't know what it wants to do or be. Since this is a PI forum, I hope I don't have to worry about lese majeste, but I'm thinking the junta is waiting for the King to die, adn then figuring out if it  will be the Prince or the Princess to ascend. It just seems dicey. The lure of Phills is an (mostly) English speaking country, an interest in providing services for ex-pats, and a sightly more globalized world view.

Of course, I need to come and have a look about. So, if any of you would be so kind to save me some steps, are there realty agents around, something of the sort of market based valuations on condos or long terms rents? Send me a link if it is not too much trouble, or just respond in kind.

Thanks so much.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
are there realty agents around,

The thing is, it seems to me that every sale that involves a real estate agent goes like this:

Agent:  How much do you want to get out of it?

Seller:  5 M pesos

Agent:  Ok, I will list it for 10 M and we will sell it for 6 to 8 M and you get 5 M out of that.

Seller?  But if the person comes to me direct and gives me 5 M then you get cut out of the deal

Agent:   Them's the breaks.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
Of course, I need to come and have a look about. So, if any of you would be so kind to save me some steps, are there realty agents around, something of the sort of market based valuations on condos or long terms rents? Send me a link if it is not too much trouble, or just respond in kind.

In that case (no agent required), I look for an Apartelle by the day but could be rented by the month. 1000/day maybe with a discount. Air Con, hot water, cable TV, Wi Fi.....no bills to pay. One room or maybe a kitchenette.

I avoid Cebu City in that case, but that was your initial choice wasn't it?

I am sure you could score a rental cheaper than that. But not sure on a 6 month basis and not with those ammenities including the electricity.

• Like 1

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use these two sites for condo overview, both sales and rent, lots of choices and pictures. 

https://www.olx.ph/real-estate/

and 

http://www.zipmatch.com/rent/condominium/cebu

As you can see, modern large condos above 80m2 (half your current space) are easily 50-100k PHP/month in Cebu.. less if you don't need Western standards, more if you want "luxury". Not cheap for anyone except expats with large living allowances. 

Personally I just can't see myself ever spending 2k USD a month for rent in a country that is supposed to be cheap. Most people manage just fine with a lot less though, this is just to give you an idea what it means to try to replicate life back home. 

Edited by afathertobe