Another Thread About Living Costs

luke
Posted
Posted

Another site: http://www.lamudi.com.ph/

chris49
Posted
Posted

I use these two sites for condo overview, both sales and rent, lots of choices and pictures. 

https://www.olx.ph/real-estate/

and 

http://www.zipmatch.com/rent/condominium/cebu

As you can see, modern large condos above 80m2 (half your current space) are easily 50-100k PHP/month in Cebu.. less if you don't need Western standards, more if you want "luxury". Not cheap for anyone except expats with large living allowances. 

Personally I just can't see myself ever spending 2k USD a month for rent in a country that is supposed to be cheap. Most people manage just fine with a lot less though, this is just to give you an idea what it means to try to replicate life back home. 

It's hard to understand the attraction of Cebu for a longish stay or residence in the Philippines. A person could locate anywhere in the PI and take vacations to Cebu and still be ahead.

Our posters often start by saying...."In Cebu" or "on a beach"......well there are people living on beaches here up north and paying rents of 3-4 k a month. Sure the Cebuana women have the big reputation for beauty, but I don't think it's worth paying quadruple rent to access that. Women are everywhere, even Cebuana if that's what you want.

• Like 5

usa32
Posted
Posted

I have not made the move yet.

However, this question is personal and depends what one means by "spectacular"

With the said, budgets range from oh god I'm poor budget of $300-400 dollars a month(british youtuber doing that, and it is possible, but not recommended) all the way up to 5-7 thousand a month, which seems excessive. But that gets western amenities, trips etc. 

Outside of Cebu city/manilla. A budget of 1000 should get you by pretty well. 1500 would be ideal.

This should get you a decent place to live, going out to eat 3-4 times a week(not fancy), travel the islands occasionally. And be able to support a partner/lady friend as well.

Just from what I have heard and researched.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I use these two sites for condo overview, both sales and rent, lots of choices and pictures. 

https://www.olx.ph/real-estate/

and 

http://www.zipmatch.com/rent/condominium/cebu

As you can see, modern large condos above 80m2 (half your current space) are easily 50-100k PHP/month in Cebu.. less if you don't need Western standards, more if you want "luxury". Not cheap for anyone except expats with large living allowances. 

Personally I just can't see myself ever spending 2k USD a month for rent in a country that is supposed to be cheap. Most people manage just fine with a lot less though, this is just to give you an idea what it means to try to replicate life back home. 

It's hard to understand the attraction of Cebu for a longish stay or residence in the Philippines. A person could locate anywhere in the PI and take vacations to Cebu and still be ahead.

Our posters often start by saying...."In Cebu" or "on a beach"......well there are people living on beaches here up north and paying rents of 3-4 k a month. Sure the Cebuana women have the big reputation for beauty, but I don't think it's worth paying quadruple rent to access that. Women are everywhere, even Cebuana if that's what you want.

I think this is a serious nomination for :th_thbestpost: .

To which I will briefly add, does one expect to "live" there, or are you expecting to be on 365 days a year vacation?

Live there, same amount of vacations and weekends as you took in your own country, maybe a good bit more. Yup 2K USD per month should do it.

Permanent vacation? (Which is what so many people really mean by "living" in the Philippines). However much you would expect to spend per day on vacation inclusive of travel X 31 = your monthly budget. Pretty safe assumption as long as you don't participate in any scams.

If you insist on loaning money or become involved in a get rich quick or business scheme, you can double the permanent vacation amount. I think that about covers it. :tiphat:

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I love these threads , i really do,

One day i think lets get over there and the next day i read something else and i think i cannot afford it,

You need this to live on and you need to make sure you have investments , stocks, shares and houses that you are renting out and so on, but not many are mentioning the cash in the mattress,

Yes we are all different in what we are wanting or thinking we are wanting too, loads of great advice i must add too,

One of the best bits of advice is , its not a holiday or vacation its for life so you budget for that on a weekly or monthly budget, well thats what i think you should do,

Remember boys and girls , i am not there yet so its all down to reading and trying to work out the budget i am living on here and what i may be living on over there,

Many of you guys maybe having a good chuckle about some ideas what we new people are saying and planning too, I do, and i even laugh at some of the replies from guys who have been living there for years,

Some of us will fall and go back to what we use to call home  and some of us will make it too,

My plans are getting closer every day now and i am still convinced we will be fine , here is what i worked out so far

living cost $------

enjoyment $-----

whats left each month $----

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

One day i think lets get over there and the next day i read something else and i think i cannot afford it,

You need this to live on and you need to make sure you have investments , stocks, shares and houses that you are renting out and so on, but not many are mentioning the cash in the mattress,

Yes we are all different in what we are wanting or thinking we are wanting too, loads of great advice i must add too,

One of the best bits of advice is , its not a holiday or vacation its for life so you budget for that on a weekly or monthly budget, well thats what i think you should do,

Remember boys and girls , i am not there yet so its all down to reading and trying to work out the budget i am living on here and what i may be living on over there,

Many of you guys maybe having a good chuckle about some ideas what we new people are saying and planning too, I do, and i even laugh at some of the replies from guys who have been living there for years,

Some of us will fall and go back to what we use to call home  and some of us will make it too,

My plans are getting closer every day now and i am still convinced we will be fine , here is what i worked out so far

living cost $------

enjoyment $-----

:hystery:  Good one Steve but will it be enough? I question the whats left bit though  :lol:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Jack, that is my biggest worry , will it be enough, and i shall think that for a long time too i bet

Yes i could stay here in England till i am 66 thats another 8 years , and that can add up to some serious cash we could save, but how much do you want,i bet there are lots of rich dead people in the cemetery

If you are not silly and with so much sitting in the bank doing nothing and having so much coming in each month and thats all before the state pension kicks in, i am sure we will be fine,

Ems will have a budget and what i read from other who are giving a budget to there wives who are there i think its a good one , the rest will be put away for the extras that will be wanted when they are needed,

Its very intresting reading what others have said over the years about costing, and what they needed then to what they have to live on now, some have cut there budget down lots but are still there, maybe its because they dont need to impress anyone but just themselves so life is cheaper and better once the( look what we have sindrum) has worn out , just my saying

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack, that is my biggest worry , will it be enough, and i shall think that for a long time too i bet

Yes i could stay here in England till i am 66 thats another 8 years , and that can add up to some serious cash we could save, but how much do you want,i bet there are lots of rich dead people in the cemetery

If you are not silly and with so much sitting in the bank doing nothing and having so much coming in each month and thats all before the state pension kicks in, i am sure we will be fine,

Ems will have a budget and what i read from other who are giving a budget to there wives who are there i think its a good one , the rest will be put away for the extras that will be wanted when they are needed,

Its very intresting reading what others have said over the years about costing, and what they needed then to what they have to live on now, some have cut there budget down lots but are still there, maybe its because they dont need to impress anyone but just themselves so life is cheaper and better once the( look what we have sindrum) has worn out , just my saying

Of course Steve, it was said in Jest but I do Understand where you are coming From, the thing that is Certain, is that in 8 years time, things will again be so Different. Whether is today or next year, the only time that things are really clear is at the Time you do them.

• Like 2

usa32
Posted
Posted

living cost $------

enjoyment $-----

I thought you built a house there already and were moving?

stevewool
Posted
Posted

living cost $------

enjoyment $-----

I thought you built a house there already and were moving?

Yes we have started the house build,

It was the family home that had to be knocked down and then rebuilt ,

As the family house the father and 1 son lives in the house , we have made it into two floors and a roof terrace , the 2nd floor is ours, its just a empty shell waiting for me to get out there and design what we want, and also to keep me busy too,

Moving out there , well thats soon, very early next year is the plan and i dont see that changing at all, fingers cross as i write this

• Like 3