Building Plans And Costs For The New Arrival

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

Was looking to see if the wine rack was full of bottles for the forum house warming party.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Lots of great advice from many friends on here,

May i just add you can build anything that you want , but make sure its for YOU,

Like i said in our build lots got involved and had there own plans but it was our hard cash that was going to pay for it all, there was going to be this many bedrooms and extra spaces for there own pleasure , just make sure you are there or if not try to visit the site regular , the plans well just look at pictures of houses and say i want that one and get someone to draw the plans to something like that design,

Again its for you and your partner not for anyone else, I am convinced if we find a lot and build again it will be single story and i know i could build it for half the price i paid so far for this place we have ,

Dont be afraid to ask anything even if you think its silly, it could save you lots of cash , good look

stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 2/25/2016 at 11:06 AM, Old55 said:

Ynot, I respect you are open eyed and acknowledge the risk but still plan on building. For sure that risk is not for everyone. :tiphat:

I don't have architectural plans of a home in your budget to share. Maybe someone here will be able to help.

My family went through the building permit office to choose a trusted architect with a proven track record. A family member spent every minute on the job site during construction and was the one who bought any supplies used. The construction came in budget without any major surprises. 

On 2/24/2016 at 6:03 AM, stevewool said:

A great idea , we have just built a place , its not mine but one day my wife may live there,

We built it for when we get out there in the Phils,

We knocked down the family house and started to build the new house between another 2 sisters, i knew it was a mistake but i had there word that they would share , but it never happened,

So the house came down to me and the wife paying for it all,

At first i was angry and i will never forget too, but with the bills at just under the 1 million and its not finnish yet i am starting to mellow,

Emma my wife works very hard here in England and she has paid more then have of this herself in savings,

We still plan to live there some time , the ground floor is for her dad and the first floor is all ours, thats the bit that needs everything doing, then there is a roof deck,

Here are some pictures,

attachicon.gif10394115_896401950376703_3395115515884889186_n.jpgattachicon.gif10514644_905591252791106_425275567182606117_n.jpgattachicon.gif10968386_10206103203726940_6015062904830151398_n8.jpgattachicon.gif10982346_10204938673059664_5210269221829767577_n.jpgattachicon.gif10600384_10206119530615102_1782432195571546236_n.jpgattachicon.gif11074104_10206462108459334_8447338430915532904_n.jpgattachicon.gif11094232_10206683679078891_803651280_n.jpgattachicon.gif961514_10206587344790594_222310844_n.jpgattachicon.gif11104065_10206461217397488_6634920_n.jpg

Steve could you please post a link to your helpful build topic?

I am not to sure how to do this, could you help or anyone

• 3 weeks later...
robert k
Posted
Posted
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:45 AM, manofthecoldland said:

I can't even recall the last time i used the western 'dry bathroom floor' method here for serious business. Just goes to show what living here long term does to a man's life-long habits and norms. When in Rome.....

Having not built the elusive house with enough CR space, I would keep a door mat by the CR and toss it down in front of the toilet. It keeps your pants dry. I used to be in the construction plumbing trades in the US and just the thought of poopy water going on the floor and not in the toiler would have the health department close a place down because people walking in it would track it everywhere. I can't deny that ones posterior gets cleaner with water and I myself bought a whole lot of washrags to do the job, I would wipe with paper first, and can with lid for spent ones until they can be laundered in the washing machine. I like a dry floor.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My wife and I live alone so it is just the 2 of us using the cr here.  We have a shower (with curtain - that confuses people) so showering does not get the entire cr wet... they look at showers as a self cleaning feature of the cr ha ha... (only 2 of us in the house, but it is a family compound)

We have a bum gun, so she does not use the tabo, much.  Keeps the floors, and walls, much drier.

We built a 30 sq meter hollow block/cement house (we added a 15 sq meter bamboo/nipa front porch). One main room serves as living room, bedroom, and kitchen. The cr is walled off separately.  There were no plans. I drew it free hand on a piece of scrap paper, to show them what I wanted. I don't think any other plans were drawn up. 

As for rent v buy... up to you.  My biggest concern is not the house or family per se, but the noise in the neighborhood.  If the neighborhood goes to hell - it would be nice to be renting, so we can bail.  We built cheap, so I am not too concerned if we end up walking away from in a few years.  She will always have it to come back to.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Lots of discussion about wet CR floors so let me show you what I do about that.  I bought this Plastic floor mat in Robinsons hardware store for 100 pesos.  Its got a hundred or so little plastic 'legs' that get you up off the wet floor.

56e6cb9e17340_PlasticFloorMat.png.e19701

Then, if you like to go in the CR barefoot, you put a rug on it that is kept up off the wet floor by the plastic mat.  it looks like this

56e6cc227cea6_Putarugonit.png.9d9fe15c47

Voila!  For just over 100 pesos there is no more need to complain about the wet floor in the CR.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Then, if you like to go in the CR barefoot, you put a rug on it that is kept up off the wet floor by the plastic mat.

If you can't keep the floor dry, how do you keep the rug dry? :89:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, AlwaysRt said:

If you can't keep the floor dry, how do you keep the rug dry?

I'm not sure I follow you.  The rug does not touch the wet floor and thus stays dry, BUT when showering we pick the rug up and move it out of the way temporarily.  It doesn't weigh very much :whistling:

• Like 4

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Its called an each way bet when i put a like on two opposing views :)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Ynot said:

Its called an each way bet when i put a like on two opposing views :)

I read it as 'liking' reading what is said, not 'agreeing' with what is said, but sometimes I like AND agree

• Like 1