"But That's not how we do it!"

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

How often do you get the "But that's not how we do it!" from your Filipina wife or GF? Meaning that's not how it's done in da Philippines. Doubt that I'm the only one that hears this on a regular basis. 

In your experience what is the most common reason or oddest thing that could cause those words to be uttered. 

Jake may have something special to share I am sure. :6::whistling:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

How often do you get the "But that's not how we do it!" from your Filipina wife or GF? Meaning that's not how it's done in da Philippines. Doubt that I'm the only one that hears this on a regular basis. 

In your experience what is the most common reason or oddest thing that could cause those words to be uttered. 

Jake may have something special to share I am sure. :6::whistling:

Knowing you Dan, I know I'm gonna get us both in trouble with the Boss.  The first thing popped in my head (and elsewhere) is when I howl to the moon, even when it's not there.....he, he.  Simply a

no-no in PI.  

I get no respect sometimes.....he, he. 

Edited by Jake
spel chek
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Everything is slow in the Phillipines (this should be the official slogan instead of that fun bs).

Of Course, would we have it any other way:whistling: Course cos it ain't gonna change just yet:hystery:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

you dont leave your basket full of groceries and walk off.

I have heard that from my wife as well.  I assured it is how I do it!  I think I have only done it twice, but she knows the option is there ha ha :tiphat:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I have left a large cart with maybe 30 items in Gaisano City supermarket as when I got near the meat section, the rotten smell was overwhelming. I don't go near the meat section in SM as it is just as bad. It seems that they don't understand that you have to mark down a product in order to sell it before it goes rotten. The wet market is the same by keeping the same price until the fruits/vegetables are spoiled when they could have recovered some money by selling at 1/2 price.

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2016 at 3:54 AM, Sander Martin said:

My best THATS NOT HOW WE DO IT is from a visit to SM groceries.

We picked up half a basket of food with my fiance and went to the cashier. There were 6 people infront of us. I had to go to the toilet so i left her there to pay. Came back a good 10minutes later and the line had moved by 1 person (all lines were extreamly slow). I wasnt going to spend 30+ minutes standing there. I asked her if we really need the stuff we picked up. She said no, not really. I grabed her hand, left the cashier line, droped the basket between the shelfs and left. She just looked at me and said thats not how we do it here, you dont leave your basket full of groceries and walk off. She told the family and aunt and everyone looked at me strange. Now she allways looks at the cashier lines before entering the shop and asks me if im ready to stand in line haha.

Everything is slow in the Phillipines (this should be the official slogan instead of that fun bs).

haha...i usually shop with just my kid, but if it's crowded I will bring wife, put her in line and I will start shopping....that's how it's done here!

Wife was getting the internet hooked up a couple years back and I made the mistake of joining her.  We had a few issues with the terms, but worked around that.  When it was time to pay, it was p1000 more than we expected....a 'deposit' of some sorts.  I asked when we could expect to get the 'deposit' back  after we terminated service.  We were told that we would not be remunerated for that.  So we got into a discussion of semantics...what is a payment and what is a deposit.  It ended shortly with a shrug of their shoulders and "that's just how we do it here."  :thumbsup:

Edited by Larry45
  • Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

when I got to the front of the line the cashier said :"I'm sorry sir, I am closing now, please go to another cashier."

I have been successful the couple times I have been in this situation with the reply, "OK, I have been in line for 30 minutes so you can close after me." and continue taking my stuff out of the cart. I did the same in Hong Kong one time, the person in front of me who was checking out dropped a glass jar of spaghetti sauce, "Sorry Sir, we have to close the lane to clean up the mess" I stepped over it and said "ok....." I speak with a calm, respectful tone as if I am stating a fact. My body language of taking stuff out of the cart is same as any other time, no hesitation, implying there is no other option but checking me out. Maybe I've been lucky so far? 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have been truly blessed at the checkout line, this has never happened to me.