"But That's not how we do it!"

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, robert k said:

I have been truly blessed at the checkout line, this has never happened to me.

:hystery: Give it Time Robert " First time" for Everything as they say :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I feel your pain but that is how it is done here. 

Once in a while you just might get in a short line and think how lucky you are.

Ha, only to find out that a person in front of you has a credit card that wont clear. Then, if that is not bad enough, the person might be a senior citizen and have a ton of paperwork to be completed in order to get their senior discount. 

Then, you look over at the line you ignored and the person you would have been behind is walking past with his/her groceries while you are still waiting in the short line.

The funny and not so funny thing is that the cashier has more patient than you.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Then, you look over at the line you ignored and the person you would have been behind is walking past with his/her groceries while you are still waiting in the short line.

The funny and not so funny thing is that the cashier has more patient than you.

56e13073a565d_WhatawonderfulWorld..jpg.5  :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:  :thumbsup: or is it :56da632e94212_1(60): for some:whistling:

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Actually, I have very little patience. Just saying. I guess I'm getting old. 

I have little patience for the way things are done here.

They way people drive. They drive over the sidewalks. They park on sidewalks. Pedestrians have to walk in the street.

Vendors take up much of the space on sidewalks.

Very poor "customer service". 

I can go on and on but I'm not complaining, ok. Just pointing out the little things that irk me.

It takes a while to get used to it. Does no good to complain to anyone. Just gotta "suck it up".

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/9/2016 at 6:54 PM, Sander Martin said:

My best THATS NOT HOW WE DO IT is from a visit to SM groceries.

We picked up half a basket of food with my fiance and went to the cashier. There were 6 people infront of us. I had to go to the toilet so i left her there to pay. Came back a good 10minutes later and the line had moved by 1 person (all lines were extreamly slow). I wasnt going to spend 30+ minutes standing there. I asked her if we really need the stuff we picked up. She said no, not really. I grabed her hand, left the cashier line, droped the basket between the shelfs and left. She just looked at me and said thats not how we do it here, you dont leave your basket full of groceries and walk off. She told the family and aunt and everyone looked at me strange. Now she allways looks at the cashier lines before entering the shop and asks me if im ready to stand in line haha.

Everything is slow in the Phillipines (this should be the official slogan instead of that fun bs).

Just a similar sideshow to this.  My ex father in law, really cranky old bas...d.  He is standing in a Supermarket for quite a while.  He walked up to the cashier, dropped the basket on the counter and said,

'I am too old to waste time standing in this queue'.  Then walked out the store.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I know what you mean Gratefuled.  I was talking to a City Councilman, and he was saying what a traffic problem the pedestrians cause by walking in the street... I smiled and said 'with so many vendors clogging the sidewalk.... where else are we supposed to walk?'  He laughed and said yeah, that is another problem :tiphat:

• Like 5

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Just a similar sideshow to this.  My ex father in law, really cranky old bas...d.  He is standing in a Supermarket for quite a while.  He walked up to the cashier, dropped the basket on the counter and said,

'I am too old to waste time standing in this queue'.  Then walked out the store.

What a badass :D!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I know what you mean Gratefuled.  I was talking to a City Councilman, and he was saying what a traffic problem the pedestrians cause by walking in the street... I smiled and said 'with so many vendors clogging the sidewalk.... where else are we supposed to walk?'  He laughed and said yeah, that is another problem :tiphat:

I have heard that in times past Cebu City has enforced the road right of way with business building right to the edge of the lane, with bulldozers. I should think the erratic trucks would handle the problem.

I remember seeing a picture of an elementary school that had built onto the road to the point that if they opened the door it was in the traffic lane and it opened in the direction that the door blocked your view so you could not see if anything was coming.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
On 03/11/2016 at 8:36 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

In Beijing pedestrians walk in the street because the sidewalks are full of parked cars.

I recall seeing a video a couple of years ago of one solution to the parking problem. The mayor of one Ex-Soviet city got so annoyed with illegaly parked cars that he acquired a tank (or to be precise an APV) and proceeded to drive it over said cars.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

In Beijing pedestrians walk in the street because the sidewalks are full of parked cars.

I recall seeing a video a couple of years ago of one solution to the parking problem. The mayor of one Ex-Soviet city got so annoyed with illegally parked cars that he acquired a tank (or to be precise an APV) and proceeded to drive it over said cars.

I have not been to Beijing but I have been to Shenzen and Guilin China. Both very modern and very very clean. I would recommend either or both for a visit. You would not be disappointed. I guarantee it. I was single back then before coming to the Philippines and I had the time. They were 2 separate trips.