"But That's not how we do it!"

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

In Beijing pedestrians walk in the street because the sidewalks are full of parked cars.

I recall seeing a video a couple of years ago of one solution to the parking problem. The mayor of one Ex-Soviet city got so annoyed with illegaly parked cars that he acquired a tank (or to be precise an APV) and proceeded to drive it over said cars.

I remember many years ago when I would visit Saigon, the lovely young receptionist at the hotel told me to be careful of the traffic when I was out and about, I replied I was always careful when crossing the roads, she meant watch for the motor bikes on the footpath as I leave the hotel and after not heeding her advice one time was almost cleaned up by one.:89:

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

I remember many years ago when I would visit Saigon, the lovely young receptionist at the hotel told me to be careful of the traffic when I was out and about, I replied I was always careful when crossing the roads, she meant watch for the motor bikes on the footpath as I leave the hotel and after not heeding her advice one time was almost cleaned up by one.:89:

It's he same here. The major dangers are electric scooters and three wheelers driven by delivery men. These vehicles are fast, silent, and deadly (rather like some f@rts).

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

It's he same here. The major dangers are electric scooters and three wheelers driven by delivery men. These vehicles are fast, silent, and deadly (rather like some f@rts).

Again in Saigon, the place is over run with moto's I think there must be millions there, any way as the roads in the city itself were or French design, big wide 6 to 8 lane boulevards, when crossing you just stepped of the kerb eyes straight ahead and walking at a brisk pace crossed the road,never ever stopping mid point, these massive amounts of motor cycles would just go around you, seemed to work well, but was scary at times.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

Again in Saigon, the place is over run with moto's I think there must be millions there, any way as the roads in the city itself were or French design, big wide 6 to 8 lane boulevards, when crossing you just stepped of the kerb eyes straight ahead and walking at a brisk pace crossed the road,never ever stopping mid point, these massive amounts of motor cycles would just go around you, seemed to work well, but was scary at times.

Wise words. It is scary at first, but you get used to it. Never ever stop or change speed while crossing the road, allways keep the same pace you started with.

• Like 1