Are you a 'fan' of fans?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

All right. I'll admit it. I'm desperate for a new topic that engages us all to some degree.

I've always been the 'fan-man'.  I take 'em apart, clean 'em, oil 'em, and tell the woman to take it to the repairman or buy a new one. One runs all night and most of the day, augmenting my sea-breeze computer site with an offset or accelerator breeze effect. The other is back-up and serves the sala if visitors sleep there on the mat. My wife doesn't seem to depend on it, except at night on 'low', but w/o my trusty fan, I would be one miserable camper when there is dead air. We don't have A/C in our bamboo/Nipa abode, but a good fan gets the job done most of the time. (Note: nothing beats A/C for intensive, heat-producing amorous activity.)

There are a lot of good Youtube vids on troubleshooting and repairing these simple motors. I end up replaceing them every 2-3 years, despite regular cleaning and oiling. Removing the housing to get at the back bearings and dustballs is a bit of a ploy, but its worth it to vastly extend the life of the back bearings. I tell her not to let the nephews or anyone else dissassemble the guard, fan blade and plastic screw-on master nut because they usually don't understand the reverse, left-handed parts and strip the threads. You have to have a gentle hand and not force anything in the least way.  I know they only cost P900 plus, but I like them to last.

Any advice or comments on your experiences with your house fans ??????

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

I Like the motors that are laminated steel plates with just winding on the armature, like a refrigerator fan but scaled up. More expensive but they last a lot longer so you end up saving money. About 780 php for the  Hanibishi 9 inch fan I bought like that. It would move more air than the 16 inch Standard oscillating fan I bought for 1250 php that started failing after the second month.

Some time ago it occurred to me that when one sleeps on a mattress a large portion of their body is lying on an insulating surface. If one could sleep in a net hammock with airflow on all sides,, some people who think they couldn't sleep without aircon might be able to.:thumbsup:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Being a yank yourself you'll understand the joke MOTC

25 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

I've always been the 'fan-man'.  I take 'em apart, clean 'em, oil 'em

Dude, you need a life man :hystery:.

First thing I do when I enter a room is turn on the fan, fans in every room, sometimes more than one. AC at night and a fan. Fans are part of the necessities of life here :thumbsup:

• Like 5

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Heh-heh.... good one, guy.  I got all I can handle

16 hours ago, scott h said:

First thing I do when I enter a room is turn on the fan, fans in every room, sometimes more than one. AC at night and a fan. Fans are part of the necessities of life here :thumbsup:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I have at least one fan running at any given time also.

I have a question I've been dying to ask and now is the time... What Moron Engineer started the Off-Hi-Med-Low switch conspiracy??? 3 clicks to turn on, 3 clicks to turn off, maybe he owned the switch manufacturing company and he wanted switches wearing out 3 times faster?

Also, is there anyone else who would like to have a quieter 1/2 low speed? Or am I the one that's a moron? :56da64b0e8139_36_1_471:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I have at least one fan running at any given time also.

I have a question I've been dying to ask and now is the time... What Moron Engineer started the Off-Hi-Med-Low switch conspiracy??? 3 clicks to turn on, 3 clicks to turn off, maybe he owned the switch manufacturing company and he wanted switches wearing out 3 times faster?

Also, is there anyone else who would like to have a quieter 1/2 low speed? Or am I the one that's a moron? :56da64b0e8139_36_1_471:

That's why I like the push buttons ..... takes the guess work out of it .... :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mike S said:

That's why I like the push buttons ..... takes the guess work out of it .... :hystery:

:cheersty:

I have 1 push button and like it, the smaller/quieter one for the bedroom however... click-click-click on, click-click-click off :89:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If it is on FB I don't believe it, If it is a U tube it ain't PEF, come on Fellers lets have some authentic Stuff EH?

It is our Forum, No need for outside stuff!

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

I'm addicted to fans here too. It seems like the Philippines has perfected the design of fans, making them lightweight, colorful, whisper quiet, and having many different configurations. There are a few months out of the year here that they are not so important, but otherwise I have to have my trusty metal rolling turbo stand fan with me at all times.  At breakfast I even like to point my fan directly at my chair before I sit down.:) Fans really take the edge off the heat on a hot day, and make life pleasant. The first year here aircon seemed more of a necessity for us in the bedroom, but after getting off and on sinus infections from the cold dry aircon at night last year, I'm trying to get used to sleeping with just a fan unless it's really hot like in May.

My husband likes a small fan going when he watches TV, but he 's amused at my need for a constant fan companion. If I walk away from my fan though, in a few minutes he has gone over and turned it off. No problem--I just turn it right back on when I get back!

Queenie

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

If it is on FB I don't believe it, If it is a U tube it ain't PEF, come on Fellers lets have some authentic Stuff EH?

It is our Forum, No need for outside stuff!

ummm huh? did I miss something? feeling a bit dense at the moment. :89:

• Like 1