Are you a 'fan' of fans?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

Oil does not last very long so unless it is something that you want to do regularly, look for a tube of high temperature nuclear grease to repack the bearings. Shops that rebuild alternators or starters might have it.

Nuclear grease, you would get a big bang out of that!

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Well all this has been fascinating, at least I know now I can get onto heaps of members and get my fan fixed.!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Well all this has been fascinating

I would have said 'fan'tastic but fascinating work too :hystery:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jpbago said:

Oil does not last very long so unless it is something that you want to do regularly, look for a tube of high temperature nuclear grease to repack the bearings. Shops that rebuild alternators or starters might have it.

I used to oil my fans but now I use a little white Lithium grease on them ..... also most of the fans I have had here come with sleeve bearings even in the more expensive ones have yet to find one with real ball bearings .... by cleaning them regular and lubricating them they will last quite a while .... we have 2 that have lasted 4-5 years and run from 8:00am till time for bed about 10:00pm .... since my pacemaker was installed we now do use aircon in the bedroom on low and number 4 setting with 10 being the highest ... just keeps the room cool with no need for even a sheet for covering .... also helps to take the humidity out of the air .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike S said:

I used to oil my fans but now I use a little white Lithium grease on them

Lithium grease, is that what they use on bipolar fans?  (Yes there is such a thing and I'm not talking Hotspurs fans.  Here's a link to bipolar fans)

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

In our wet market there is a tattoo parlor I hang out in (good place to drink Cokes).  They have what looks like a bipolar fan... (this only an example - the one here is much newer)

826aab07b219c3c6548a67533452d17c.jpg

• Like 5

DGTXPAT
Posted
Posted

Interesting topic for those who are fan fans. I for one am a big fan of fans anytime i am in PHIL. I bought 2 fans  across the street from Matiao import in Dumaguete and they are still working fine after some abuse and kids trying to behead spiders on a stick. Who am I to judge their fun !

Anyway...for cooling purposes they certainly beat having dead sticky air and seem to atleast serve as some form of comfort during the day time. At nite time i find them helpful to sleep and also work well to keep the mosquitos away. Ive noticed mosquitos are lazy and dont like to fly with a breeze going in the nipa. Also noticed that mosquitos like the smell of clothes with downy.....am i straying off topic?

OK in final thought I like fans and even here in the USA during the minus 10 degree F days, I still turn the fan on at nite to lull me to sleep. I enjoy the white noise (hope that is politically correct since i am white) and i throw an earplug on one side of my head so i dont have the fan annoying me if it squeeks or makes weird unsypmhony like music. What was that??? Yes i need a vacation and yes their is some brain damage :)

Have a great day and thanks for the topic I had some knowledge of. Being a blue collar worker I am limited (hope that is ok to say because i am not blue).

Disclosure: NO formal education so disregeard my punctuation,spelling and use or misuse of the english language.

• Like 4