Are you a 'fan' of fans?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

What Moron Engineer started the Off-Hi-Med-Low switch conspiracy??? 3 clicks to turn on, 3 clicks to turn off,

My fans have a switch that goes all the way around. Off is straight up & down, like at 12 & 6 on the clock. You can spin it round and round all day if you want, either direction.  You never more than 2 clicks from any speed, or off.

I rely on fans all day here. I only use my aircon at night.  My wife uses fans more than she used to, but not as much as I do.  Either my wife or I will clean them regularly.  Usually at least 3 times a year. They get so much dust on them they blow noticeably less air before cleaning (yet the house does not get dusty).

• Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

We have 2 off those pedestal fans and the boss has to have one on every night, she usually goes to bed later than me and hits the 3 button instead of the one button, I wake up during the night thinking I am in one of those aircraft test tunnels, her, sleeping peacefully. We have moved house in the last month and now have a/c in the bedroom which I don't like, but she has used all her feminine charm and talked me into having it on only on 3, too cold on any higher. I got my power bill today (810 pesos) will be interesting to see how much the a/c cost to run.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

ummm huh? did I miss something? feeling a bit dense at the moment. :89:

No! but it made a lot think! you got 1st prize in I am reading the Topics :hystery:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I don't like the fan on me when I am eating as it will make my food get cold. I notice that virtually all Filipinos I have known don't care if their food is hot or cold.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I love a fan, aircon seems to make my throat so dry.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

At night I have to have my aircon - I set the vent to blow directly on me.  Can't sleep well any other way. (It turns of automatically at 4AM and my fan turns back on)   I do miss quality ceiling fans like we had the US. :tiphat:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mike S said:

I have a question I've been dying to ask and now is the time... What Moron Engineer started the Off-Hi-Med-Low switch conspiracy??? 3 clicks to turn on, 3 clicks to turn off, maybe he owned the switch manufacturing company and he wanted switches wearing out 3 times faster?

Filipinos do not use low or medium. Everything is either off or high like gas burners, croaky volume, level of speech, TV volume, etc, so for them, it is one click from off to high.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Filipinos do not use low or medium. Everything is either off or high like gas burners, croaky volume, level of speech, TV volume, etc, so for them, it is one click from off to high.

Bit like their two speed work ethic Slow or Stop! but then, there is the 2 speed bike Stop or manic speed.

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Same here for always having a fan running....sometimes for the siesta nap, I even include a fan with the air-con in our insulated "cold room".  I keep them clean, but don't try to work on them.  They last about a year or so, then my Filipino buddy gets them.  He fixes them or uses the motor for something, and definitely appreciates the gift.        

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I take 'em apart, clean 'em, oil 'em

Oil does not last very long so unless it is something that you want to do regularly, look for a tube of high temperature nuclear grease to repack the bearings. Shops that rebuild alternators or starters might have it.

• Like 5