Rules of the road-Daet City

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

There isn't any, it is a free for all, just drive for survival.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

There isn't any, it is a free for all, just drive for survival.

Might makes right is a pretty good slogan to keep in mind. If a ceres bus really needs to get around me I don't mind pulling entirely off the road because I don't want them to get half past me, not have time to get ahead of me then start coming back in because of oncoming traffic. Usually all that is required though is to slow down. Just do whatever is necessary to arrive at your destination safely.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Buses and large trucks have the right of way and Jeepney's will stop anyplace anytime for no discernible reason. The only rules you can count on is that the strips painted onto the roads will be ignored and if a collision occurs in your vicinity you will pay for it. 

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Actually, a van driver told me that here it's on a first come basis. Meaning if there is space for my vehicle and I get there first, it's now my space. 

I see it all the time and no one gets pssed about it They just blow their horn which I take it to mean, "OK".

Funny thing, I seldom see any accidents. Usually just a down motorcycle.

Occasionally a minor fender bender.

In Caiifornia there would be "Road Rage", cursing, fights, and occasionally gun shots. 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I have learned that driving in the Philippines is really a blood sport. Unlike a lot of western countries (USA is a prime example) The Philippines really is not a "car culture". They really don't start driving at a young age like most of us and don't really, really understand how flow of traffic works, or road courtesy. As Grateful says

4 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Meaning if there is space for my vehicle and I get there first, it's now my space. 

U turn in the middle of the road? No problem if it jams up traffic, the turner "gets what HE wants".

I see "line straddles" all the time. Or drivers that just drift into your lane instead of signaling and waiting for a gap. The only real solution is to give way, or hold your ground. I have found that most Filipino drivers are really cowardly. If you don't give way they chicken out and get back in their lane.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, scott h said:

I have learned that driving in the Philippines is really a blood sport. Unlike a lot of western countries (USA is a prime example) The Philippines really is not a "car culture". They really don't start driving at a young age like most of us and don't really, really understand how flow of traffic works, or road courtesy. As Grateful says

U turn in the middle of the road? No problem if it jams up traffic, the turner "gets what HE wants".

I see "line straddles" all the time. Or drivers that just drift into your lane instead of signaling and waiting for a gap. The only real solution is to give way, or hold your ground. I have found that most Filipino drivers are really cowardly. If you don't give way they chicken out and get back in their lane.

There are numerous traffic violations all the time. I've never seen a traffic cop on patrol. Usually, they can be found standing in the shade with their radar gun. 

Traffic lights are another issue. They are just for show. 

Oh, and if a vehicle has a flat or something in the middle of the road, then that is where it is fixed. 

I've never seen a tow truck, either.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

The rule of the road driving here is that there are no rules! Sometimes too when I'm driving and I realize that I just made a mistake, i instinctively look around for a cop, but there is none:)

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Many Filipinos' are quite reactive and skilled drivers though. No road-rage here either, as people are pretty patient with each other.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I've often thought of using the rule of gravity when driving here.

Picture this, you keep a small basket of gravel sized rocks by your left had grip of the motorcycle.  When that Ceres bus or VHire van comes towards you just toss a few in the air.  The rule of gravity says that what goes up, must come down, so if you are really good the rocks will come down about the time that bus or van's windshield is in that spot :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Many Filipinos' are quite reactive and skilled drivers though. No road-rage here either, as people are pretty patient with each other.

You have hit the nail on the head with this one.  Reactive drivers are aggressive drivers.  Proactive drivers are defensive drivers.  There are a LOT of aggressive drivers here and all is fine until two really aggressive drivers meet head on.

• Like 1