Rules of the road-Daet City

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

That is what I mean, here, you go to LTO get your license and away you go, No theory, No Practical Test just follow the Flow, no wonder it is Chaos

Only in the PI, My wife wants to drive 4 wheels Hmmmmmm well dear, just Remember there is more car behind you than in the Front of you :popcorn:

Haha i got you now :D. Tell her that a 4x4 wont save her when a truck or a Ceres bus is on a collisions course with her. She sounds like Annes aunt Helen :D.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

just Remember there is more car behind you than in the Front of you :popcorn:

By that Folks I mean, my ex wife thought that when she had past the gatepost a few feet she could Turn, SCRAPE:shades:, I just hope Azon will do better than that. I am sure she will but..............:ohmy: :whistling:

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

As previously mentioned driving here can be summarised thus:

Road Rules - there are only three;

1. There are no rules;
  2. Might is right; and
  3. In case of dispute see rule 1.

Traffic lights are advisory only. Road paintings were purely a make work (or divert money) scheme.

There ate two types of Filipino driver. Those so aggressive as to be suicidal and those so timid as to be on the permanent edge of a nervous breakdown.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Something my father taught me applies to most filipinos:  Making the car move does not mean you can drive.  Driving is a skill and an art. Any 4 year old can put a car in gear and let it move (me friend's 4 year old did exactly that many years ago when he left him in the car with the engine running while he popped into work to see if there were any jobs for him).

But my father was not talking about filipinos.  He was talking about Canadians.  One big difference I notice that is a plus for Philippines is this:  Many North American drivers get tunnel vision.  They only look at what is directly in front of their windshield.  They will pass by you and not see you even when you are good friends and waving madly to them.  Many filipinos are very, very aware of what is going on around them (except for the ones texting while driving etc).  For example, when my friend "S" is driving I can drive right by him on my motorcycle and wave and he will not see me (He is American and this is Dumaguete).  When his wife is driving she will notice me a block away.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Something my father taught me applies to most filipinos:  Making the car move does not mean you can drive.  Driving is a skill and an art. Any 4 year old can put a car in gear and let it move (me friend's 4 year old did exactly that many years ago when he left him in the car with the engine running while he popped into work to see if there were any jobs for him).

But my father was not talking about filipinos.  He was talking about Canadians.  One big difference I notice that is a plus for Philippines is this:  Many North American drivers get tunnel vision.  They only look at what is directly in front of their windshield.  They will pass by you and not see you even when you are good friends and waving madly to them.  Many filipinos are very, very aware of what is going on around them (except for the ones texting while driving etc).  For example, when my friend "S" is driving I can drive right by him on my motorcycle and wave and he will not see me (He is American and this is Dumaguete).  When his wife is driving she will notice me a block away.

That is because you are guapo Dave!

RBM
Posted
Posted

I travel pretty extensively here are sadly see this potential almost every day. The exact situation I have avoided many times.

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

Rules and rules, in UK they live by common law and old habits. Something similar here.

Rona told me she prefer not to drive at all, but she rather get a license at some point ?!

:e3364:

Yeah...

BobP
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, RBM said:

I travel pretty extensively here are sadly see this potential almost every day. The exact situation I have avoided many times.

Oh my goodness!  So sad!  

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

There is a joke. " how do you hypnotize an Asian?"  answer, Put a windshield in front of him/her.

This might be good advice noting how drivers in California drive. 

Picture this. A California driver flying down the freeway with a cup of coffee between his legs or in a cup holder beside him, a doughnut in one hand and a cigarette in the other hand holding the steering wheel. Add a cellphone to all of this. 

There are far more accidents and more frequent in California than in the Philippines.

My observation

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

There is a joke. " how do you hypnotize an Asian?"  answer, Put a windshield in front of him/her.

This might be good advice noting how drivers in California drive. 

Picture this. A California driver flying down the freeway with a cup of coffee between his legs or in a cup holder beside him, a doughnut in one hand and a cigarette in the other hand holding the steering wheel. Add a cellphone to all of this. 

There are far more accidents and more frequent in California than in the Philippines.

My observation

Far more reported, far more accidents, I think not.

• Like 1