Rules of the road-Daet City

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Actually, a van driver told me that here it's on a first come basis. Meaning if there is space for my vehicle and I get there first, it's now my space. 

I see it all the time and no one gets pssed about it They just blow their horn which I take it to mean, "OK".

Funny thing, I seldom see any accidents. Usually just a down motorcycle.

Occasionally a minor fender bender.

In Caiifornia there would be "Road Rage", cursing, fights, and occasionally gun shots. 

Sad but true, as it is the same same in Thailand, but many accidents, it has the 2nd worst death record

in Asia.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You have hit the nail on the head with this one.  Reactive drivers are aggressive drivers.  Proactive drivers are defensive drivers.  There are a LOT of aggressive drivers here and all is fine until two really aggressive drivers meet head on.

Granted you're going to get your share of  aggressive speeders and people driving under the influence but many Filipino drivers I've observed are alert and trying their best not to get themselves and their [passengers hurt or killed. Also damaging a vehicle owned by your boss will probably cause you to lose your job.

To some extent when driving here you have to be somewhat aggressive anyway, when passing or avoiding a motorcycle with a wobbly tire, or some precariously overloaded truck etc. Being an aggressive driver is a "sign of the times" in many western countries too. Not to the extent that we experience here of course.

Lack of road rules, policing of drivers, especially underage drivers and cyclists, no driver education and the inability to inspect and sanction older or dangerous vehicles is a big concern here, but hard to change in a poor, developing country.

3 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I've often thought of using the rule of gravity when driving here.

Picture this, you keep a small basket of gravel sized rocks by your left had grip of the motorcycle.  When that Ceres bus or VHire van comes towards you just toss a few in the air.  The rule of gravity says that what goes up, must come down, so if you are really good the rocks will come down about the time that bus or van's windshield is in that spot :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

While Dave's reply may sound funny when I was in the US riding my Harley I always kept a spark plug where I could reach it ..... all you do is throw it straight up in the air so the ass-hole behind you can't see it (some people thing it is funny to tailgate a bike) it will definitely get their attention ..... it works .... almost all the folks I rode with did that .... lot better than getting pushed off the road into a ditch .... ball bearings work well also ...

To be honest I really have no problem driving here .... you just learn to drive defensively which is how I drove in the US which came from riding motorcycles for the past 40yrs .... you damn well better learn to ride them defensively or grow some real thick skin to protect from road-rash .... here most bikes ride fairly slow compared to running along at 60+ mph in the US.... drop one that that speed and it's gonna hurt ... :hystery:

By the way you couldn't pay me to ride a bike here .... to damn old and my bones are to brittle .... :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
HikiSpray
Posted
Posted

I found it to be quite easy to adjust to the way of driving in the Philippines, I drove more defensive on the highways and a little more aggressive in the Cities (no violent driving, just more ... bold?. I don't know how to put it in words), the rule seems to be that if your vehicle is more expensive you have the right of way. I was nervous a few times coming to/ passing small towns, but when in doubt, honk and flash your highbeam. Actually there is a lot of honking and flashing of lights. :) However, I mostly drove around in the Cagayan valley, once through Dalton pass and up to Banaue. So I'm guessing that it is a little bit different depending where you are in the PH. And this was only during our 6 week vacation so I could have had my rose coloured glasses on.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Just one big game of chicken.......

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

After watching driver behavior in several large and smaller cities in Phils, I can see very little difference between the abilities of the drivers.  The education level seems the same, the aggression seems the same, the lack of understanding road rules and courtesy seems the same!

The only plus for Thailand is that they drive on the other side of the road like I do, or should I say largely did.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

I learned how to drive in SEA in Thailand and its easy (works here aswell). By default who has the larger car makes the rules. If you have a right of way and you see someone turn into the main road = you should sound your horn (if your driving a motorbike, then you have to do that for the dogs aswell - you dont want to hit a dog and get hurt right?). That is to let the other guy know that your coming (who has the time to check for traffic right?) and your not going to stop for him.

Sometimes we go out of town and Anne's aunt is driving. I take the copilot seat. She likes to turn around and talk to the people in the back seat and ignore what happens infront of her. Two times out of 3 trips i had to yell STOP (once there was road work ahead that she was just going to run into). She says she refused to drive in Canada while visiting her sister - to scary. I said no sh&t Helen... You cant drive. She still likes me :D.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

I learned how to drive

This is the Difference I think

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

This is the Difference I think

For South East Asia i mean. Its a different road culture here. Been driving in Europe ever since i was 12 and got my license at 18 (the age you can legally drive alone in Estonia).

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

For South East Asia i mean. Its a different road culture here. Been driving in Europe ever since i was 12 and got my license at 18 (the age you can legally drive alone in Estonia).

That is what I mean, here, you go to LTO get your license and away you go, No theory, No Practical Test just follow the Flow, no wonder it is Chaos

Only in the PI, My wife wants to drive 4 wheels Hmmmmmm well dear, just Remember there is more car behind you than in the Front of you :popcorn:

• Like 2