Beet Root

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

When I was a kid it was our family tradition to have what was called a relish tray for Holiday dinners. It would include pickled cucumber olives and sweet beets. 

We also enjoy fresh beets boiled.

I have to say I WILL try a burger with hot (spiced) pickled beets on it someday soon. Great idea.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Most yanks get their beet in the processed food we eat. Beet sugar, corn sugar. I'm surprised they aren't using 1015 sweet onions to make sugar. I like beets pickled or not. We used to can them with onions when I was a kid.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, robert k said:

Beet sugar,

I would hazard a guess that they are all the same family (Beet root and Sugar beet) obvioulsy I guess what we call Beet root not being as sweet as Sugar beet? Where I came from in the Midlands of the UK BSC ( British Sugar Corporation) had a Mammoth Factory and Produced many Tons of refined Sugar there, The smell could be a little iffy someday depending on the wind Direction, We used to watch the wagons in and out when smaller some of those beets were pretty Big.:89:

Oooops.jpg.759397e7b551bc73bb1f065ca0eb3 I digress  sorry boss, but beets is beets Yeah :thumbsup:  Beets.gif.cc7c896f2391e17864383d45c48f0a Gorra be the same family EH?

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

A hamburger is not a hamburger unless it has beetroot. I put the Aussie flag on top for my poor cousins across the ditch. And its a Lamb Burger just for them.   :whistling:

23993_l.jpg

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I would hazard a guess that they are all the same family (Beet root and Sugar beet) obvioulsy I guess what we call Beet root not being as sweet as Sugar beet? Where I came from in the Midlands of the UK BSC ( British Sugar Corporation) had a Mammoth Factory and Produced many Tons of refined Sugar there, The smell could be a little iffy someday depending on the wind Direction, We used to watch the wagons in and out when smaller some of those beets were pretty Big.:89:

Oooops.jpg.759397e7b551bc73bb1f065ca0eb3 I digress  sorry boss, but beets is beets Yeah :thumbsup:  Beets.gif.cc7c896f2391e17864383d45c48f0a Gorra be the same family EH?

I think beets are good at fixing sugar, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they cultivated a strain to be even larger and better at it. Like they did with corn or tomatoes and so on.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Sander Martin said:
21 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Most of Europe eats beets as vegetables :D

Iloilo central market has them to, but usualy at 100-120php per kg (even when the mother in law buys them). I make them into borsch soup or ill boil and grade them. Add mayo or sour cream + graded cheese and mix it all up. Great salad for meat and potatoes.

The pickled beetroot in a hamburger is something that can stay in Australia if im asked haha.

Oh SM life is full of challenges = but don't worry I will l eat your share.  You don't know what you are 

missing.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/13/2016 at 7:37 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I thought Beetroot was a character in the movie Twins. 

...I have seen some odd things on burgers before - never beets. Not a Texas thing ha ha :tiphat:

Tim,

Everything is big in Texas - it takes a BIG man to put beetroot on a burger!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/13/2016 at 7:31 AM, Old55 said:

Wait a minute.... You guys put beets on a Burger? :th_thbarbaque:

Old55.

It is a gastronomic delight = we also put Tomato Sauce on Meat Pies!!!!

mogo51
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, stevewool said:

As a very young boy and working weekends to make money i used to go beetroot screwing , yep you read it right, but maybe the picture you have in your head is not the one its ment to be,

Screwing the leaves of the root and having your skin between your thumb and finger so sore  and filling up the boxes to make one big box,

Did this while the season was there made lots of money and made lots of new skin too i recon, but still love the odd beetroot sandwich now , just make sure you eat it straight away, dont look nice after a few hours

Sagging Red Bread, not a pretty sight Steve!! But what a sandwich. How did those Yankees make the

Nuclear Bomb???   haha

mogo51
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It's not pickled on a hamburger it's sliced beetroot usually from a can. Years ago all the shops that sold hamburgers had it but you won't find many now that do. I have not had it with beetroot for years but strangely enough it is quite nice. 

Aussie-Beef-Burgers.png

I will keep a lookout for you next month JGF