Are you really with the one you love

robert k
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It is all in the individual opinion and that is yours .... however I don't see any high horse looking down his nose in his post .... I guess the same could be said for you ..... but again that is just my opinion .... 

I think it was the parts of the post that really left no way out of buying a house. It is there repeatedly. If you don't buy a house it isn't really love. And then the ..."We" have done so part. But if you don't see it, then you don't see it.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

It must also be remembered that as you are making these great plans leaving property to whoever, it is not what you want or what the laws in your home country allows but what Philippine laws say that govern the transfer and taxes. The laws here are very unique and may be enough of a reason on their own to rent instead of buy.

• Like 4

Ynot
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

I think it was the parts of the post that really left no way out of buying a house. It is there repeatedly. If you don't buy a house it isn't really love. And then the ..."We" have done so part. But if you don't see it, then you don't see it.:thumbsup:

Hi I know i say buying a house but that was to support my argument for those that considered buying a house and then chose not to because it could not be in their name.  Not everyone can afford to buy a house, I've lost 2 houses but I suppose i'm fortunate in that Im not financially ruined (yet) and could afford to lose another or what Im willing to lose if things went south.  You will note I also ask what would you do if your relationship failed after 10 years and you did not have a house would you make provisions for her.  someone mentioned savings bonds or investments etc, so it does not have to be a house.  But the thought process in not buying a house for those that were considering is what i was looking at.  So its no just about a house, and it never was.  Its interesting to see some comments already made.   We have probably all been scarred from previous relationships and tread more warily when entering new ones.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Ynot said:

I've lost 2 houses but I suppose i'm fortunate in that Im not financially ruined (yet) and could afford to lose another

It is human nature to look at others like their circumstances are the same as our own. Would your feelings on the subject change if instead of being able to loose another house, that house represented your entire life savings which is a fact for many. Leaving you with $800/month retirement to pay child support, feed and house yourself and eventually a new mate. It would be decade(s) before you could replace that house. Not everyone has the same perspective you do, it took me decades to figure that out and I still forget.

• Like 3

Ynot
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

It is human nature to look at others like their circumstances are the same as our own. Would your feelings on the subject change if instead of being able to loose another house, that house represented your entire life savings which is a fact for many. Leaving you with $800/month retirement to pay child support, feed and house yourself and eventually a new mate. It would be decade(s) before you could replace that house. Not everyone has the same perspective you do, it took me decades to figure that out and I still forget.

I did say the example of buying the house was to support my argument about are you really in love.  It was really about the thought process that went into making that decision.  

I also stated the following: " Not everyone can afford to buy a house, I've lost 2 houses but I suppose i'm fortunate in that Im not financially ruined (yet) and could afford to lose another or what I''m willing to lose if things went south.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Ynot said:

I did say...

Yup you sure did. My bad for being tired, jumping between threads, and talking on the phone at the same time. :tiphat:

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ynot said:

Having read numerous replies to various topics, I've come to the conclusion that high percentage of you are not with the ones you really love.  I put forward the argument that you are merely passing time until something better comes along!  

Now you may say how can I make this outlandish statement, and I say easy.  Look at your responses to "should you rent property or should you buy"! Now those of you who initially said you should rent because it gives you flexibility I will suggest that perhaps this statement does not apply to you with certain conditions, that you then did not say in your next argument; well if you can not own the property in your name, then you would be silly to buy property that you can not own.  If this was your next argument against buying, I say to you, this statement applies to you. 

For those of you whose first response, you would be silly to put property in your gf's name or your wife's name, then this statement applies you as you are not really in love.

Now you may say don't be silly, I'm being careful, I'm saying you are not 100% committed to the relationship.  You have an escape plan to minimise your losses, and in the back of your mind you have already pre-mapped what should happen if the relationship falters.  With that mindset, you have set yourself up for failure.  Under normal circumstances and probably in your past life, you did everything humanly possible to try and salvage the relationship.  Who got what was not even a thought.   But in your current circumstance, you have already taken the first step to move on, you are waiting for the day for the relationship to fail.

Now, if by some stroke of luck the relationship lasted say 10 years and then falters what would you do?  Would you look at your assets and think, gee we had 10 good years before our world fell apart!  I think I will give her x, or would you just walk away and mark that time down as one for experience.   If you were back in your home country, there probably would be an enforceable right to pay your partner a percentage of your assets, particularly those assets you accumulated together! So what would you do.  Be honest if you were renting a house would you then make sure she had sufficient to buy her own place or set up with some money to assist her in the future, just what would you do. And what provisions have you put in place in case of your demise for the person you supposedly love, that you share your life with!

For those of us who have gone down the path of buying a property, we at least have made some provision for our partner should the relationship fail or in the event of our unfortunate demise.

Have you considered that the gentleman in question may be in love but he is not certain that she is? How can one know absolutely someone else's heart and thoughts? Look at Bill and Hillary Clinton, marriage of convenience? You bet! Are they getting divorced? Heck no! There is a lot to be said for loyalty.

I don't want to give all my financial information but suppose I leave her with $1,000,000 USD worth of property which makes a steady income of 1.2 million peso a year. Do I have to buy her a house too? Because that is what it seems you are saying above. That the wife must be set up so she is independent of you and can walk away at any time or you don't truly love each other.

Maybe someone wouldn't want to put temptation before her? Maybe they have a spat and she says or does something she cant take back because there is always the consolation prize.

Suppose as you posited in the post above that the marriage only lasted ten years? Would it be ok to wait ten years before you bought a house in her name? If not, should you buy the house in her name in the first 3 months of marriage? Is she entitled to a house if the marriage breaks up in 3 months? I would like to pin down just where she is entitled to a house.

How long is it Ok to wait? 1yr? 2yr? 3yr? 5yr?

I have a request. Please post a picture of the house you bought in your wife's name so everyone can see you aren't telling them to do what you have not yet done?

I have probably 100 more questions how you arrived at the conclusions in your post but this will do for now?

• Like 1