Has anyone tasted binignet?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

A popular Lenten snack with Cebu origins, is a fruit and root crop soup/stew called binignet. I other regions it might be known as ginataan halo-halo. It's cooked usually with taro, camote, saba bananas, tapioca pearls, jackfruit with a coconut milk base. It's usually eaten warm, but sometimes can be chilled and eaten like a pudding. In the provinces especially it is prepared during Holy Week, but can be found at other special occasions as well.

I was wondering if any of you have eaten binignet lately, and if you enjoyed it?

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

No, I have not but it sounds good. As long as it doesn't have PATIS in it.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

A popular Lenten snack with Cebu origins, is a fruit and root crop soup/stew called binignet. I other regions it might be known as ginataan halo-halo. It's cooked usually with taro, camote, saba bananas, tapioca pearls, jackfruit with a coconut milk base. It's usually eaten warm, but sometimes can be chilled and eaten like a pudding. In the provinces especially it is prepared during Holy Week, but can be found at other special occasions as well.

I was wondering if any of you have eaten binignet lately, and if you enjoyed it?

It is known as ginataan here in the north....served warm with all those items, in a coconut and sweet milky soup. Yes quite good, but a bit high in calories, they must add sugar to get it sweet.

Not to be confused with ginataan....the Visayan recipe usually with Yellow Fin, long chillies and eggplant, coconut base in a reddish soup.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, chris49 said:

Not to be confused with ginataan....the Visayan recipe usually with Yellow Fin, long chillies and eggplant, coconut base in a reddish soup.

AH! AH! OK now I know what you mean Aghhhhhhhhhhh ORRIBLE!  Bad Taste ( angry baby).jpg

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

AH! AH! OK now I know what you mean Aghhhhhhhhhhh ORRIBLE!  Bad Taste ( angry baby).jpg

Jack, I like your baby pic. Especially your smile.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

AH! AH! OK now I know what you mean Aghhhhhhhhhhh ORRIBLE!

One of my favorites.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, chris49 said:

One of my favorites.

Well that's your Menu Treat Sorted, when you come Visiting :thumbsup:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well that's your Menu Treat Sorted, when you come Visiting :thumbsup:

Good idea. I might do a visit there if Mogo settles down there. A few years away, but possible.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

No patis Gratefuled--sweet but not salty!:)

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, chris49 said:

It is known as ginataan here in the north....served warm with all those items, in a coconut and sweet milky soup. Yes quite good, but a bit high in calories, they must add sugar to get it sweet.

You're right Chris49--any dish with a coconut milk base.