cheese expensive in Phils

mogo51
Posted
Posted

We are about to leave for a trip to Oz and Phils over 5 weeks.  I love tasty and vintage cheddar cheese.  Is it expensive in Phils as it is in Thailand.  

I can buy a 1kg pack of tasty cheese in Oz for 1800 pesos.  Should I  buy it in Oz or can I get a similar deal in Phils,as I wonder how it would hold up in my bag, then in fridges whilst in hotels etc.?

Any cheese lovers who can  assist.  I will hopefully see some of the members in our travels.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Vintage cheddar here is about 280 a 1/4 kilo.It is as good as we get in the Uk so it will be good for you.Most supermarkets stock it.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Good cheese in places like Dumaguete is a rare treat, and when you can find it you will pay dearly for it.  As an example, there is a deli in WhyNot where I buy sliced ham and cheese for my sandwichs.  The low end deli ham is 72 pesos for 100 grams.  The low end cheddat cheese is 130 pesos for the same 100 grams.  There is cheaper cheese available in the supermarkets but it really is cheap and tasteless.  Enjoy your cheese before you come here and be prepared to give it up unless you are on a rich man's budget.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I can buy a 1kg pack of tasty cheese in Oz for 1800 pesos.  Should I  buy it in Oz or can I get a similar deal in Phils,as I wonder how it would hold up in my bag, then in fridges whilst in hotels etc.?

Depending on the Processing of "Cheddar" I believe it travels well but....:89: Ron, how are you going to pack/ carry it. Checked in Luggage or Carry on? I ask because there may be a Restriction on Cheese import as it is a Dairy Product. When I came in from Spain in 2012 I had a rather nice piece of "Spanish Manchego" which I carried in my cabin bag. Wrapped and well sealed , However at Hong Kong I was told that Manila would/may Confiscate it and they Did, Now It may be that Customs Like the Manchego cheese which is very Dry but mmmmmm but at 2 am in the morning I was not going to take anyone to task. So if Hong Kong knew the Score, just a heads up:thumbsup:

Jack:Happy:

Morning All:morning1:

BTW have a Safe Trip mate.:wave: see you in a few weeks.:cheers:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I love tasty and vintage cheddar cheese.

As  cheese lover myself we always bring "quality" cheese back with us. But good cheese can be bought here at SM as in the above post. S&R also carrys "Tillamook" in big blocks. Tillamook is a very famous American cheese from Washington state and is really, really good. But naturally your going to pay for it. Let me know and ill check the price for you on our next trip.

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

The best I can find here is Aussie "Bega Farmers Tasty" comes in a 250gram pack cost is around 280pesos depending on the store, supply is hit and miss. I did get my daughter to bring me a block of cheese this January, no problems, she put it in her luggage in the hold of the plane and as it is freezing temps there it arrived ok. One thing for some reason cheese as with a lot of other food does not have a long fridge life, best to eat as quick as possible, good luck with the trip, hope you enjoy your selves

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Bega and Tillamook are 2 of the ones I have bought there was one called coon but I have not seen that one for a long time.They have herby and extra mature Edam here which are quite good.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Best selection I have seen for natural unprocessed cheese is Tinderbox Cebu. Excellent selection including my favorite appenzeller , be prepared pay big bucks.

Also Bobs cafe in Bacolod has reasonable selection. As mentioned common Aussie cheeses is available most supermarkets, especially Alaya and if keen on Blue it's always there. 

Good vacation and good cheese eating.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Here in Iloilo good cheese is hard to find. Once found it is expensive.  I pay about p250 for a 1/4 kilo of tasteless cheddar. It is some American brand I never heard of while living in America - "Heritage" cheese.  Readily available, not very good...but better than that Eden brand "cheese" they eat.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Should I  buy it in Oz or can I get a similar deal in Phils,

Really also depends on where you are traveling too. Cebu and Manila are going to have a bigger selection as they have specialty stores for imported things. My first trip to the Phils the guy sitting next to me had a whole leg of ham in his carry on. The look on his face was not good as I was whisked away in a taxi while he stood there wondering why his girlfriend was not waiting for him as planned. Not sure what the ending was or if he spent a month eating ham or not.