cheese expensive in Phils

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, mogo51 said:

We never have a problem taking it back to Thailand, just walk straight throughhh 'nothing to declare' 

I knew a guy who brought a suitcase FULL of Alberta beef from Canada to Cebu.  Just walked right through with 'nothing to declare'.  I haven't the slightest idea if he was allowed to do that but he was trying to run a restaurant so he froze it, bagged it well, put it in his checked luggage, and it lasted the 24 hour trip.  I only tell you this so you know it can be done.  Up to you if its the right thing for you.

As to his restaurant?  It failed miserably.  He built up his reputation on prime Alberta Beef and when he ran out then he tried to pass off the local product as Alberta Beef and his reputation fell beyond recovery.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Try your local Swiss Deli. that's where I get mine here in Davao

Is that a chain of stores?  Never seen one here in Iloilo.  Up in Boracay they have a European deli with all kinds of cheese, deli meat, and real chocolate :)

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

I knew a guy who brought a suitcase FULL of Alberta beef from Canada to Cebu.  Just walked right through with 'nothing to declare'.  I haven't the slightest idea if he was allowed to do that but he was trying to run a restaurant so he froze it, bagged it well, put it in his checked luggage, and it lasted the 24 hour trip.  I only tell you this so you know it can be done.  Up to you if its the right thing for you.

As to his restaurant?  It failed miserably.  He built up his reputation on prime Alberta Beef and when he ran out then he tried to pass off the local product as Alberta Beef and his reputation fell beyond recovery.

An acquaintance of mine does this regularly, not as much, but keeps himself in beef. for 6 months.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Is that a chain of stores?  Never seen one here in Iloilo.  Up in Boracay they have a European deli with all kinds of cheese, deli meat, and real chocolate :)

Found a small deli in Iloilo Supermart thats located close to little SM in the center of the city. On the first floor there was a small deli with some cheeses, ham and pepperoni. They had that same cheap 395peso per KG Mozarella I usually buy from Villa Iloilo Supermart. Also had some real parmesan cheese. Its located near the main supermarts checkout.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Swiss Delis are franchises. Yes, kinda like chain stores. They are not as common as 7-11s but they serve good food and have a small choice of grocery items. The one in Davao City caters to many foreigners and their mates. 

• 2 months later...
Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Heads up to all the Cheese lovers. A few Arla (Danish) products seem to be two for one in supermarkets.

Abit more then a week ago they had Arla Havarti Cheese 150gr packets with two for 1 deal in Iloilo Supermart (the main one in Atrium). The 150gr packet came down to about 75 pesos each. Also some Bree cheese with the same 2 for 1 deal. I bought 10 packets of havarti (all they had) haha. Its soft and abit sweet cheese, but for me here it tasts like heaven (specially with a price like that).

Same place and Iloilo SM City they had Arla Pineapple cream cheese for sale as 2 for 1 three days ago (i think it came down to about 50 something per packet). 

Today i went to Ayala Cebu after submitting our visa papers and boom Arla Havarti Jalopeno cheese blocks (220gr) were 2 for 1. Came to just abit over 100 pesos each. Took 6 blocks (left some for you guys).

This is the first time in about 7 months, that i have seen any discounts on Cheese and believe me, i check the cheese section everytime i visit a supermarket.

You might want to check your local supermarkets cheese fridge next time ??.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 2