cheese expensive in Phils

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Here in Iloilo good cheese is hard to find. Once found it is expensive.  I pay about p250 for a 1/4 kilo of tasteless cheddar. It is some American brand I never heard of while living in America - "Heritage" cheese.  Readily available, not very good...but better than that Eden brand "cheese" they eat.

Villa supermarket has mozarella cheese at around 400pesos a kilo. Not in stock often tho. I check every time i go there and buy a kilo or so when they have. Its cut into ~200gr pieces. 

Sure its not like a good strong tasting hard cheese, but its better then the overly processed "plastic cheese" and it doesn't destroy your wallet.

I allways take couple kgs of cheese with me in my main luggage. Never had a problem so far. I have never been searched at any SEA airport.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Molo, Robinson's had some good mozzarella last month (and not too expensive). It melted really well.  Just in time for our barangay fiesta.  I bought some and made a real good baked mac.  ...and now they don't have it - they must have got it in just for me, just for the fiesta ha ha.  I feel so special :)

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Molo, Robinson's had some good mozzarella last month (and not too expensive). It melted really well.  Just in time for our barangay fiesta.  I bought some and made a real good baked mac.  ...and now they don't have it - they must have got it in just for me, just for the fiesta ha ha.  I feel so special :)

Seen huge blocks of 1.7kg mozarella for around 900 pesos in SM City. Wonder if they are good..

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I love Mozzarella cheese sliced or in a block. I get mine at SM mkt. I get my Ricotta cheese at Swiss Deli for my lasagna.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have not seen any ricotta here.  I would love to make a good lasagna (and eat it all by myself I am sure ha ha)

I mostly buy a pepper jack. Never heard of the brand before. "California" brand, from the US.  It is pretty good. Still a bit expensive, though. 190 grams for about p175?

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2016 at 6:18 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Robinson's is a good source for cheeses. Once in a while they tape 2 together on the expiration date, and as I know a good cheese should not expire even after a few years if unopened. Sharp NZ Cheddar,English Stilton or Danish Blue...Brie, all of them.

As far as price, 200-250 for around 200 gms, maybe 250 gms.  I can't get it regularly, but if in QC I would eat slivers with red wine and Sky Flakes, maybe over 2-3 days. Or with 2-3 friends in one session, maybe 2 different cheeses. If it is a tad expensive (not 100% sure) but worth every centavo for the enjoyment.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have not seen any ricotta here. 

Funny, I was just looking at a Wiki on that this afternoon.  Seems like it is not hard to make but I am not adventurous to give it a try

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ricotta-Cheese

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/31/2016 at 1:23 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Depending on the Processing of "Cheddar" I believe it travels well but....:89: Ron, how are you going to pack/ carry it. Checked in Luggage or Carry on? I ask because there may be a Restriction on Cheese import as it is a Dairy Product. When I came in from Spain in 2012 I had a rather nice piece of "Spanish Manchego" which I carried in my cabin bag. Wrapped and well sealed , However at Hong Kong I was told that Manila would/may Confiscate it and they Did, Now It may be that Customs Like the Manchego cheese which is very Dry but mmmmmm but at 2 am in the morning I was not going to take anyone to task. So if Hong Kong knew the Score, just a heads up:thumbsup:

Jack:Happy:

Morning All:morning1:

BTW have a Safe Trip mate.:wave: see you in a few weeks.:cheers:

Thanks Jack,

We never have a problem taking it back to Thailand, just walk straight throughhh 'nothing to declare' 

but sounds like much different in Phils. In Oz, still like summer here, country side very diy need rain.  Been over 30 degrees every day for months, most unusual for this time of the year.  Evenings ok though.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

thanks guys sounds like cheese is the same in Phils as Thailand, not surprising.  I went to the supermarket and let fly with some cheese, salami , black olives etc with Lebanese break and had a 'pig out' (with red wine - bloody heaven.

Had to get the SO a new computer for her school work and tests preping over the weekend.  Got a good Lenove 17, 1tb hdd, 4gig ram, for $800au, she want 14" screen but they were much more expensive, but she seems happy with this one.

Took her to Seaworld Amusement Park yesterday and she had a great time. This week is getting meds week, speak again later.

Thanks for all your help always great as usual.  Stay sharp Jack, I will be in good form by the time I see you in Duma.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 2 April 2016 at 4:17 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have not seen any ricotta here.  I would love to make a good lasagna (and eat it all by myself I am sure ha ha)

I mostly buy a pepper jack. Never heard of the brand before. "California" brand, from the US.  It is pretty good. Still a bit expensive, though. 190 grams for about p175?

Try your local Swiss Deli. that's where I get mine here in Davao