Discrimination in the Philippines

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I went to twin lakes Wednesday and was charged double what the locals pay,I was buying some cigarettes yesterday and she wanted  more than 3 times the normal price. When I went to see the whale sharks a few years ago same thing double for foreigners. How widespread is it here and how are they allowed to getaway with it? Anybody else have any examples of this overcharging scenario?

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Here is the receipt for the twin lakes.

twin lakes receipt.pdf

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Happens all the time in the States Sonja. The world famous San Diego Zoo gives a discount if you show ID that you are from a local zip code. Same with hotel rooms there, show local ID and you don't have to pay the VAT that is designed for tourists.

Now for your smokes? That's just being an entrepreneur really, charge (or try to) what the traffic will bear. I did the same thing when I was a salesman in my younger days. If a guy drove up in a BMW I would try real hard not to give him a discount. If he was in a VW, I would slash so long as I still made a profit.

Here in the Philippines? If I feel I am getting the big nose tax at a sari-sari store I just give my best skeptical look, if they don't lower the price, I go to the next one.:cheersty: 

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I went to twin lakes Wednesday and was charged double what the locals pay,I was buying some cigarettes yesterday and she wanted  more than 3 times the normal price. When I went to see the whale sharks a few years ago same thing double for foreigners. How widespread is it here and how are they allowed to getaway with it? Anybody else have any examples of this overcharging scenario?

I think such activity is most common where there are more tourists and expats but you can find it anywhere.

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

San Antonio, TX river walk gives locals a discount too for the boat ride.  One difference there is that the local can buy all the tickets at that lower rate.  Doesn't matter who uses them.  So find a local to buy them for you and save $2 each. LOL

There are many examples in the USA of treating outsiders differently and favoring locals.  Florida tries it but has the sorriest resident discounts I've ever seen for the theme parks there.

Edit: The whale shark issue is by law that they charge the higher rate.  I still have not found out if that is foreigners or everyone that is not living in the LOCAL area.  Does anyone know that one?  I sent them an email, but got no reply.  Sonja, did you go there with Filipinos that were charged less like your Twin Lakes receipt shows?

Edited by GregZ
Added content.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I feel the same about Kawasan Falls near MoalBoal.  Everyone there sees foreigners as walking wallets, which is fine for tourists who are there to spend money and have a good time but they do not differentiate between an expat who lives local, with a local drivers license, and a tourist who has a tourists budget.

I won't go back there soon, but they won't care as there are hundreds of walking wallets visiting daily.  Shame we get discriminated against by locals, when we ourselves are locals now.  Shame that other foreigners can justify it like

1 hour ago, scott h said:

Happens all the time in the States Sonja. The world famous San Diego Zoo gives a discount if you show ID that you are from a local zip code

Or lik

7 minutes ago, GregZ said:

There are many examples in the USA of treating outsiders differently and favoring locals. 

When they should know that the examples they gave would get sued if they tried to discriminate against a Filipino with a local drivers license bases soley on the color or their skin, which is what we are suffering here.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't really like it - but it is common everywhere.

When I was stationed in Hawaii I had a sticker on the back of my military ID to show that I was a resident - we got discounts at pretty much any touristy area.  It is common everywhere that has tourists.  The amusement parks in Dallas, TX don't enough outside tourists so the locals get almost no discount.  In Orlando, Disney has great discounts for locals.

The problem here is they freely advertise the double pricing.  Most places I have been advertise the higher price, and locals just know to ask for the discounted price. It makes the tourists feel better to not know.

We went to a local cave (Iloilo), at a national park, over easter weekend. Regular price is local p15, foreigner p100.  Since it was good Friday, everyone was p15. I did appreciate that.

As for the cigarettes... they were just trying to rip you off. That is one store I would never go back to.  :cheersty:

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Happens all the time in the States Sonja. The world famous San Diego Zoo gives a discount if you show ID that you are from a local zip code. Same with hotel rooms there, show local ID and you don't have to pay the VAT that is designed for tourists.

Now for your smokes? That's just being an entrepreneur really, charge (or try to) what the traffic will bear. I did the same thing when I was a salesman in my younger days. If a guy drove up in a BMW I would try real hard not to give him a discount. If he was in a VW, I would slash so long as I still made a profit.

Here in the Philippines? If I feel I am getting the big nose tax at a sari-sari store I just give my best skeptical look, if they don't lower the price, I go to the next one.:cheersty: 

The "big nose tax"  hahahaha, that's a new one. Big nose =big wallet

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Its the same thing in all 3rd world countrys. 

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Its the same thing in all 3rd world countrys. 

It likes to be called "a developing country". :cool: