Discrimination in the Philippines

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I do not like bartering and neither does my wife.  Out in her province it is just not done - I am terrible at it, but better than her ha ha

I never thought to ask for a discount for cash here in the PI but my wife always does. Surprisingly, she gets it most of the time. It's a huge savings for an expensive item like a big screen tv or a new laptop or any appliance.

Try it.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I wonder if one lives on a tourist visa are they really local? I would say technically you would be a tourist. 

That is a very good point, so lets look at the flip side.  When a filipino is staying in Queensland and has a local address on their driver's license, does that theme park ask them what kind of Visa they are on?  What would happen to that business if they said:  "You have to pay a higher price because you got a shoved in nose and you are brown and we think you are just a tourist here?"

I agree that Philippines is their country and they make the rules, but we don't have to like them.  We have to bend over and take it if we want to live here but we don't have to say:  Ohhh that feels good.

What's wrong with smiling and politely tell our 'hosts' that Filipinos who reside in our countries don't get treated like this?  I don't really care if other expats complain or not, it just makes me sick when they say: "Its alright that you treat me as your bitch, would you like me to swallow too?"  Either tell them how you feel or say nothing.  Or maybe the rest of you really do have so much money that you don't care what they charge?

6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

They may see it as not a bigger price to us but as a discount for the Locals

Yes, thats how they want us to see it, JP.  So where are you a resident now?  Are you a local here?  Or do you mean locals with brown skin . . . which is the very definition of discrimination.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I agree that Philippines is their country and they make the rules, but we don't have to like them.  We have to bend over and take it if we want to live here but we don't have to say:  Ohhh that feels good.

What's wrong with smiling and politely tell our 'hosts' th

The whole point of the matter is no matter what you or anyone says, it's not going to change so it just needs to be accepted that, that is how it is. Yes we can discuss it to death, we could mention it to the tourist places charging more but if you go back next year the price will still be decided the same way. Maybe we have to think of it as win some lose some like rent is cheaper, beers is cheaper but some things are not and never will be. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Or do you mean locals with brown skin . . . which is the very definition of discrimination.

Thing is it happens to anyone, including Filipinos who are not "locals" if someone is a balakbayan they don't let anyone know, the impression is if you are not from the Philippines you are rich and can afford to pay extra.

I know that when we go places where prices are not posted (pelenkeas, wet markets, our local place like that is Baclaran) I am told to stay in the car, or wander around, as soon as blue eyes are spotted the price either goes up or the vendors are not as willing to bargain.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, scott h said:

Thing is it happens to anyone, including Filipinos who are not "locals" if someone is a balakbayan they don't let anyone know, the impression is if you are not from the Philippines you are rich and can afford to pay extra.

This is true.  Even true among non-balikbayans.  When Filipinos visit other provinces and their looks and accents give away that they are also "tourists", they are often quoted higher prices as well.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, scott h said:

the impression is if you are not from the Philippines you are rich and can afford to pay extra.

Yeah, quite often our doctors and dentists will charge more for a "rich" person, local or foreigner. 

Like I said earlier - they are just more open about it in the PI's than the US.  They openly say that if you can afford it then you pay more to help out those that have to pay less. That is a societal difference.

And again, the tourist price is very common everywhere. They just post the prices openly here.  Don't feel picked on, it will happen anywhere that you are a tourist.

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

When it comes to small ticket items such as senior discounts (or lack of..) or a small purchase at the market-really now.. how tight can one's budget be not to pay the skin tax?? Large ticket exchanges like cars, rental agreement or appliances, I think one needs to be invisible if possible-but in this case-no need to be outwardly vocal about it and make a spectacle of yourself. Personally I would have taken the role of Bud Brown here (taking the video

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Hey Steve said:

When it comes to small ticket items such as senior discounts

I watched it as long as I could, but it gets frustrating when McDonald's employees tell us that foreigner Seniors are "taking advantage" of them by asking for the same discount that a filipino would get, the same discount that the the senior would get from McDonald's in their own country, just a few pesos off the total from one of the richest companies in the world, who can surely afford it more than a pensioner of any citizenship.  I realize its the way things are here, I realize it because Yvonne gets upset with me every time I start talking about discrimination.  Is it about the money?  Let me ask you, was it about the money when black people in the US did not want to go to the back of the bus?  Perhaps people do not like being treated like a walking wallet.  Did people tell black people to go back to Africa if they didn't like it, they surely did.  But where are they now?  And its all because some stood up and said NO.

Well I realize I'm not going to change the Philippines but I'm sure gonna take a shot at McDonald's by asking why they are discriminating against white skinned foreigners.  Their contact page is here

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/contact_us/social_responsibility/social_responsibility.html

Well that did not work.  A US address is a required field.  This is what I would have said.  Anyone with a US address want to forward this?

In the Philippines, McDonalds has a policy of giving a discount to senior citizens, however there are at least some outlets who discriminate against senior citizens from other countries (Not Filipinos).  Why do you allow discrimination like this?  Here is a link to my post on an expat forum where this is being discussed.
http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/25260-discrimination-in-the-philippines/?do=findComment&comment=180312

You will see there is a video where one of McDonalds managers says that seniors from other countries are 'taking advantage' of McDonalds generosity.  Your response to our discussion would be appreciated

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You could write to McDo's PH...not sure what good it would do... but you can try.  I would just make up a US address - it is not like they are going to check.  :cheersty:

https://www.mcdonalds.com.ph/customer_care

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Tim.  I don't expect any good to come from any of it.  Nobody cares except a few low income senior 'foreign' citizens.  Its a subject that hit a nerve today because I just came back from visiting a sick friend in Cebu.  Living on a very low pension and in the twilight of his life and McDonalds (in Cebu) won't give him the discount any more.  I swear to you that any Filipino senior citizen who can afford to eat in McDonalds has more income than Terry, who just paid a million Philippine pesos in hospital bills, due to having some good friends.

Oh well, send him back to OZ eh?  Or if he was black then I guess Africa?  Whatever.  He's got no money so nobody cares. :508:

• Like 2