Senior Citizens Discounts

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

As an experiment, I decided to try to get the discount at my local McD, to see what they would say.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I went to the drive thru as I figured it might be easier there.

When I ordered in the speaker, I tried to sound feeble, old, and hard of hearing, thinking that might boost my chances.  On to the pay window.

The cashier was a petite little thing with a sweet smile, but she asked for my senior card.  I said I forgot it but I have my ID.  She said please go to the next window and I will have the manager meet you there.  Arrgghh!

The manager was nice but he would not budge.  He said even if I had a senior card, I did not look Filipino so he could not give me the discount.

I held up the line, thinking he would give in so the line would get moving.  No dice.

I told him I would complain to the Philippines head office and he just shrugged, and said "Have a nice day!"

That did it!  I lost it and took his picture for my complaint.

Here is a picture of the little b*stard with his fancy headphones.  The cashier is right behind him and his muscle is on the right.

20160412_145114.jpg

:SugarwareZ-005:

As villainous a crew of pirates and cutthroats as I have ever seen! You were lucky to get away.

Next time try blackmail. Tell them you will turn them in for violating child labor laws?

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 4/11/2016 at 10:03 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I notice that the longer an expat actually lives here, the more he notices discrimination against foreigners, and particularly retired foreigners on a tight budget.  I expect that discrimination to get worse in time, not better.

Maybe part of the problem is again the perception that all foreigners are wealthy.  If they can afford to move and live in a foreign country they surely must have kept one of those money trees because they can afford visiting a restaurant for at least one meal every day!

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Just now, intrepid said:

they can afford visiting a restaurant for at least one meal every day!

That gives me a great idea for a new topic.  Thanks

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 4/11/2016 at 3:09 AM, DavidK said:

My aged non-Filipino friends here in Cebu ask for and nearly always get the SC discount. Haven't investigated on what grounds or what proof of age cards they're using as I don't qualify (yet) so am not that interested. 

I use my US drivers license......if you don't ask you can't get.  Worked on the ferry to Duma but not in the restaurant there.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just a few further thoughts and then I'll crawl back in my hole ..... the whole reason for senior discounts is because senior citizens live on a fixed income and can't earn extra money especially if on SS in the US (well until you reach a certain age) without SS penalizing you for it (US only) it is not because you are being honored for being old .... in the PI these seniors get a such a crappy small amount and some nothing at all .... if they didn't work .... that these people need all the help they can get (but then most can't afford to eat at McDo's as the nut case in the video can)

But hey help could be on the way .... when I buy my McDo franchise I will give you foreigners a p20 discount and just add that much back into the cost of all my hamburgers .... actually I think I can come out ahead of the game ..... in fact I will give you a great big smile when you ask for your discount ..... and then smile all the way to the bank .... as the saying goes "ain't no such thing as a free McDo's" ... oooops or is that lunch ..... oh well same never mind ..... :hystery::hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 4/14/2016 at 8:00 AM, Mike S said:

in the PI these seniors get a such a crappy small amount and some nothing at all

Those are not the ones eating at McDonalds.  The Senior Philippine Citizens who like to eat at McDonalds are the ones who worked in the US as OFWs, possibly doing the same thing some members here did when they were working, and making the same money, and are now retired and live here.  But they developed a taste for MacDonalds while in the US.  Tell me again how they got such crappy money, then look at the SUV they parked in front of the McDonalds.

I can totally agree not to 'horn in' on the low income PI seniors discount at places those low income people eat at, but at McDonalds?  Give me a break! 

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Dave the seniors that drive big SUV's and came form the US as OFW's are vastly smaller than the majority of the rest of the Filipino senior citizens .... probably less than 10% .... but whatever .... I really don't care as I don't hang out at McDo's counting the number of seniors that drive big SUV's .... I just see the ones in the mall eating there and so I can't tell what they drive .... but if it will make you happy ..... you're right ..... :grouphugg:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike S said:

. but if it will make you happy ..... you're right

Awww.  Such a nice guy, really.  (And I was thinking the same just before I saw that you said it :hystery: )

:7500:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1