Sales ladies trying to sell you the most expensive things in store

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

Maybe I just look cheap and ugly and they don't bother trying to up sell me.

I can see two words in that sentences that sums you up. :hystery:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think all of the sales techniques mentioned are amplified in the baby section.  I have been through it.  

Everyone wants the best for their new baby, right?  Even Filipinos.

If you are in SM shopping for baby stuff, and not the Chinese store or wet market, you can probably afford more expensive baby products, right?

If you are a foreigner, double down on all of that!

If you are in an SM where foreigners are rare, double it again!

And of course, (after the birth) the girls are showering attention and compliments on your beautiful offspring, to soften you up!

Like Scott said, any sales person worth her/his salt will size up the targets, and spend more time on the highest potential targets.

Side note, on the recommendation of a Filipino friend, we bought one of those expensive bottles, Phillips Avent  We didn't like it and it sat in a drawer.  p100 bottles work fine.  Generally, I don't buy Phillips products in PH because they are overpriced.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I can see two words in that sentences that sums you up. :hystery:

Why are people so cruel :1927_:

• Like 4

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think all of the sales techniques mentioned are amplified in the baby section.  I have been through it.  

Everyone wants the best for their new baby, right?  Even Filipinos.

If you are in SM shopping for baby stuff, and not the Chinese store or wet market, you can probably afford more expensive baby products, right?

If you are a foreigner, double down on all of that!

If you are in an SM where foreigners are rare, double it again!

And of course, (after the birth) the girls are showering attention and compliments on your beautiful offspring, to soften you up!

Like Scott said, any sales person worth her/his salt will size up the targets, and spend more time on the highest potential targets.

Side note, on the recommendation of a Filipino friend, we bought one of those expensive bottles, Phillips Avent  We didn't like it and it sat in a drawer.  p100 bottles work fine.  Generally, I don't buy Phillips products in PH because they are overpriced.

Good observation. First baby, so never had baby shopping experience from back home. Maybe some people go crazy and buy the most expensive stuff thinking its the best. Its not allways the case. The 17000peso stroller was a no name Korean brand (atleast i never heard about that company + everything was in Korean). It looked ok, but so did the 8000 one we ended up buying. The one we bought seemed same or maybe even abit better quality.

I guess that buying really expensive things is just a way for one to boost their ego (plenty of people who buy a new Iphone everytime its out - even tho the old one was a few months old and still almost new). I'm happy to pay more for quality, but not for a logo.

My boy likes the 100p bottles aswell. In the end its not the price of the bottle, its how clean you keep them (wash them often with hot water).

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

My boy likes the 100p bottles aswell. In the end its not the price of the bottle, its how clean you keep them (wash them often with hot water).

thumbs-up-homer (1).png Now my Friend, that does say it all.:mellow:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

its how clean you keep them (wash them often with hot water).

Actually I do recommend something we bought at SM and I think they are the ones that pushed us on a high priced one.  However, the cheaper BABY BOTTLE STERILIZER was well worth the ~p1200 we paid for it and ensures your baby is drinking out of very clean bottles.  You might find one cheaper.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

thumbs-up-homer (1).png Now my Friend, that does say it all.:mellow:

Whats wrong with boiling them in hot water? Kills the germs the same way as a sterilizer.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Whats wrong with boiling them in hot water? Kills the germs the same way as a sterilizer.

Nothing wrong with that, but the sterilizer is easier, IMHO.  It is made so the bottles stand up side down inside, then there is a tray on top for the nipples and the rest of the stuff, then it steams everything.  You can use it to steam other things too.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

Nothing wrong with that, but the sterilizer is easier, IMHO.  It is made so the bottles stand up side down inside, then there is a tray on top for the nipples and the rest of the stuff, then it steams everything.  You can use it to steam other things too.

Yeah i have been thinking of buying it aswell. Just not urgent yet as hes breast feeding. Maybe next trip to SM or Robinsons. Thats something you would use daily and you want to have good quality, so happy to pay more. Hows that 1200peso one working? I was sure it would cost me heaps more.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Sander Martin said:

Hows that 1200peso one working?

It has worked perfectly for 2 years.  We have a new baby coming next month so I will be used a lot again.

• Like 1