Really Live Like a King

bows00
Posted
Posted

Money, it is a tool.  Nothing more...

So far, my research has concluded that a single guy could live comfortably with less than $1000 per month outside of a major city in the Philippines.  But let me emphasize the word "comfortably" here, where rent will be about $130 US per month for a decent studio.  And where where WiFi will set you back another $35 US.  And food... oh my God, you will save at least 50% of what you pay back home (unless you are in need of cattle products... like milk, cheese, and of course, beef).  

But this thread is for all you single guys out there that have a fantasy.. a vision.  Just how much income per month would it take to live out your dreams here in the Philippines...    

Well, let me throw out a number... what could you do with $5000 US per month?  Enough?  Just think about the lifestyle you could have... big house, helpers, drivers...

Would that fulfill all your dreams?  Or will that add more stress to your life with all the relatives asking for hand outs?  Or is your life so happy now that it wouldn't make an ounce of difference.  Or... are you in a position where you will need more?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bows00 said:

Well, let me throw out a number... what could you do with $5000 US per month?  Enough? 

Well bows00

With that kind of income, I would be pretty happy where I am right now!

The wife and I would make a point of visiting her family twice a year in Philippines!! :cheersty:

• Like 3

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

With a budget of 5000usd a month most the guys would live somewhere else than Phillipines.

You can spend pennies here or thousands, all depands on how you live. Life is cheap here if you like a simple lifestyle, you can keep awey from the expensive import food and eat like a local. Oh and dont party much. Sure alcohol is cheapish, but it will add up fast if you party alot. Specialy if you like the "pay to have fun girls".

Id say i would do fine here with 1000usd per month as a single guy, if i limited party budget.

All depends on the fact if you have a local family here or not and their financial situation.

• Like 4

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

And food... oh my God, you will save at least 50% of what you pay back home (unless you are in need of cattle products... like milk, cheese, and of course, beef).  

Depends on where your home country is and what you eat.

If i compare Phils to Estonia, then the only thing really cheaper here is fish and maybe meat a little (tho meat here is quite poor quality and feels like it has water injected for extra weight).

Veggies are cheaper back home (and also in Australia if you know where to buy - skip Woolies and Coles) and much better quality. Fruits are cheaper (kilo of big bananas has been around the 1 euro range for ages - 50-60peso). Etc etc.

Like you said dairy is expensive here.

So im saying that self cooked one weeks healthy meals would cost me less in Europe than here. Cost in Australia would be higher, but only because the meat there is very expensive. Most the cheap stuff here is super over processed crap I wouldn't even feed my dog.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bows00 said:

So far, my research has concluded that a single guy could live comfortably with less than $1000 per month outside of a major city in the Philippines.  But let me emphasize the word "comfortably" here, where rent will be about $130 US per month for a decent studio.  And where where WiFi will set you back another $35 US.  And food... oh my God, you will save at least 50% of what you pay back home (unless you are in need of cattle products... like milk, cheese, and of course, beef).  

But this thread is for all you single guys out there that have a fantasy.. a vision.  Just how much income per month would it take to live out your dreams here in the Philippines...    

Well, let me throw out a number... what could you do with $5000 US per month?  Enough?  Just think about the lifestyle you could have... big house, helpers, drivers...

Would that fulfill all your dreams?  Or will that add more stress to your life with all the relatives asking for hand outs?  Or is your life so happy now that it wouldn't make an ounce of difference.  Or... are you in a position where you will need more?

For that much you could just take up residence at a resort and still have enough to visit other places. You could eat what you want, most things are available in the Philippines, just the cost associated with them put people off. It all depends on what one is looking for. Just because I had $5k a month, I doubt I would spend that much.  Money is a tool, I agree. Sometimes it speeds up the process, you need not bargain shop when you have ample money. $5k USD a month, the only stress in my life would be what I allowed. It may not be the definition of paradise but it would be a good start.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The last thing I would want as a single guy would be a big house with employee's and all the problems that come with both of those.

If single with that kind of money be foot loose and free to travel and experience life.

• Like 4

bows00
Posted
Posted

For $5k, wouldn't there be enough to hire a chef to do your cooking?

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

With a budget of 5000usd a month most the guys would live somewhere else than Phillipines.

I think guys that are in the Philippines just for the cost of living just don't get it.  To me, it's about the people and culture there...

• Like 3

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, bows00 said:

I think guys that are in the Philippines just for the cost of living just don't get it.  To me, it's about the people and culture there...

Everyone is different. What might be good for person A wont be good for person B. Only reason im here is my fiance Anne and our son. I dont mind it here, but I personally could never move here for good. I have told her that from the start, that if we are going to have a relationship, so must be willing to move to Europe with me. Been here over two months on this trip and i cant wait to get my sons birth certificate and passport sorted, so we can start the visa process. Hopefully we will be ready to go in couple months.

I like the people alot, but there is just so much bureaucracy and crap here. The vibe of the country is just way too slow for me and i get annoyed quick. Im to young to waste my time standing in lines here. Maybe if i was 30years older ready to retire, it might be different. I dont see a future here for myself, atleast not now.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 4