Really Live Like a King

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Everyone is different. What might be good for person A wont be good for person B. Only reason im here is my fiance Anne and our son. I dont mind it here, but I personally could never move here for good. I have told her that from the start, that if we are going to have a relationship, so must be willing to move to Europe with me. Been here over two months on this trip and i cant wait to get my sons birth certificate and passport sorted, so we can start the visa process. Hopefully we will be ready to go in couple months.

I like the people alot, but there is just so much bureaucracy and crap here. The vibe of the country is just way too slow for me and i get annoyed quick. Im to young to waste my time standing in lines here. Maybe if i was 30years older ready to retire, it might be different. I dont see a future here for myself, atleast not now.

I like the way you think.  I feel the same way about making the PI my final resting place. 

For us, everything is in place for her to emigrate to the states, she just has to say the word.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When you write there, I realize you have not quite 'got it' either.  Those of us who are here have certain expectations, (different expectations for different people), and the low cost of living is normally a large part of those expectations.

Exactly and low cost of living is one of the reasons many expats are here. Another reason is their wife. Those are the main reasons. Some like the weather if they experience cold winters in their country. 

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I like the way you think.  I feel the same way about making the PI my final resting place. 

For us, everything is in place for her to emigrate to the states, she just has to say the word.

Seems you are like me. You came here, tried it and figured out that its not for you. Phillipines isn't for everyone. Sure its fun if your just visiting and travelling around. Day to day life unfortunately is different - not meny of us can afford to keep travelling around the country for an extended period of time. Some get used to the day to day life here, while others dont. People are different, no point to live in a place you dont really like, when your heart wants somewhere else. Life is to short. No ammount of money will make you love a certain place.

I am kinda scared of taking her to my own country. What if she feels the same as i feel here. She did visit me in Australia for 3 months while i was working there and liked the order and how clean everything was, hopefully she will like Europe aswell.

Give me -20celcius anyday compared to this humid weather.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When you write there, I realize you have not quite 'got it' either.  Those of us who are here have certain expectations, (different expectations for different people), and the low cost of living is normally a large part of those expectations.

Not to call you out Bows but I very much agree with Dave because it's true in my case. Over nearly twenty years I have visited Philippines many times. My perspective is truly lacking opposed to to an Expat. Even someone who has lived there a fairly short time.

:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681::Caught::6:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I'm in California now. Just waiting for the California Primary so I can vote then return to the PI. My 3 sons are grown now and I have some lovely grandchildren that I am enjoying. I wish my wife would hurry and decide to come here with me. There is so much here to show her. She will love it but yes, she will miss her parents who are seniors and not in the best of health.

Yes, we can go for short vacations to visit her parents once a year.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, bows00 said:

For $5k, wouldn't there be enough to hire a chef to do your cooking?

A "real" chef - nutritionist who would prepare meals in your home would be affordable.

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
On 05/03/2016 at 5:27 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

And some of us gave up thinking about what we could have had, and simply make a life out of what we do have. I have spent time on both ends of that imaginary scale, and really, very little changed. Sure, I do a lot more shopping than when out of funds, but my idea of living space has always stayed the same, as have my eating/cooking habits.

More taxi, less bus. But a tricycle wins most time anyway, money or not. Still King of my life.

When instead wanting to live the Rocco lifestyle (Leslie, for you americans) money suddenly becomes the fuel that spins the kitten. But that is another topic entirely.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2016 at 8:38 AM, MikeSwede said:

And some of us gave up thinking about what we could have had, and simply make a life out of what we do have.

I think there is very deep wisdom in what you said here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

The more i read these threads the more i realize i am living in another world, because i just cannot afford what many may have , $ 5000, is that every 6 months or did i read it wrong , but hey i dont have to pay rent so the budget can come down a lot