Really Live Like a King

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, stevewool said:

The more i read these threads the more i realize i am living in another world, because i just cannot afford what many may have , $ 5000, is that every 6 months or did i read it wrong , but hey i dont have to pay rent so the budget can come down a lot

Are you in the right topic or medication has sent you elsewhere ?

virginprune
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, stevewool said:

The more i read these threads the more i realize i am living in another world, because i just cannot afford what many may have , $ 5000, is that every 6 months or did i read it wrong , but hey i dont have to pay rent so the budget can come down a lot

With that sort of budget I would feel like Onassis and have the according lifestyle! That would last me 6 months and I could live well and happily, I do! Each to their own, everybody wants their own kind of retirement. Quality of life is very subjective!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, virginprune said:

With that sort of budget I would feel like Onassis

I could introduce you to half a dozen expats with that budget without even trying and you are very close to the mark, their girlfriends/wives tend to feel/act like Onassis.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If you have an income that allows spending $5,000 a month, the tendency is to move up to this level. The amount does not really matter provided you are willing to adjust your lifestyle based on funds available per month.

For retirees, what is important is living within a budget, worry free. For example, a significant amount of our retirement funding comes from conservative stocks that pay dividends. Because of market fluctuations, which may include companies who stop paying dividends, we try to maintain an 18 to 24 months cash reserve. Never mind if the interest is nearly zero.  We also receive social security benefits. Health is covered by Medicare A, Medicare B and supplementary private insurance that includes an 80%/20% co-pay for emergency medical on a worldwide basis. We change from HMO to PPO because it allows us to use any medical clinic or hospital in the United States that accepts Medicare.

Our current lifestyle is debt free, home free, worry free, full time travel.  A couple of relatives have questioned our lifestyle, but the reality is our budget is the same as living in an expensive state like Hawaii and having to continue to pay for a mortgage. Our motorhome was a cash purchase. We get to travel to foreign countries. Last year it was Ecuador and Japan. This year is Hungary and Italy. Next year is Philippines and one more country.

Caregiver services in the United States can cost anywhere from $4,000 to $12,000 per month. The higher amount is for Alzheimer. Custodial care is not covered by Medicare. We cannot afford it. The plan is to relocate to the Philippines because it will allow us to continue to live within our current budget. At the present time, I am thinking about Dumaguete if someone has to push my wheelchair.  The location is unimportant for Alzheimer.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2016 at 8:27 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

When you write there, I realize you have not quite 'got it' either.  Those of us who are here have certain expectations, (different expectations for different people), and the low cost of living is normally a large part of those expectations.

Dave hits a good point here. I have visited Philippines many many times over nearly twenty years, some visits fairly long. IN NO WAY DO I UNDERSTAND how it is to live there full time. Yes, I do know much about the one small area I visit but all those little things (and big ones) an Expat learns over time is true understanding and wisdom. 

None of us have the same exact goals by choosing Philippines as home. We joke "cold beer and hot Filipinas" Its much more than that no two expats or visitors are the same. It's one of the things that makes this forum so much fun.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

JJ, awesome detailed information! JJ, would you mind starting a new topic on Expat elder care and budgets in Philippines? I know you have done so before but it's been awhile. 

Back to the question.... To be live like a King one needs a detailed clear plan, a budget supported by your plan and NO DEBT. I agree with JJ about elder care but have mixed emotions as we are very close to our children living here in the States. Having loving trusted family in Philippines keep that option open. Will cross that bridge when we come to it.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you in the right topic or medication has sent you elsewhere ?

I am here but where , i have no idea :crack-up:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Living like a king has not always meant luxury. Stone castle, tallow lamps, no aircon, primitive plumbing. Sure you can achieve that in the Philippines.:89:

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thinking more into this , i bet many of us live like kings in our own houses, well thats until the wife /girlfriend comes back from shopping that is,

Then its back to normal sharing things planning things together, so whether its $5000 or $1000, its all depends on how happy you are with what you have ,

If you are living on $1000 and you have everything you are wanting , then getting $5000 well would that just bring more problems, its all about being happy with what you have and thats all down to planning,.

This forum and i bet there are others out there that give great advice and even though some off it is tongue and cheek too, we all have to make our own decision , i also now that not having enough can be the worst thing going too

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, robert k said:

Living like a king has not always meant luxury. Stone castle, tallow lamps, no aircon, primitive plumbing.

And don't forget the peasants with pitch forks and burning torches who are tired of eating cake. Being a king has its drawbacks:hystery:

• Like 3