US Tax ramifications of owning a condo unit

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hi Jack,

I am just expressing a personal view, I would not be running to them with my hands in the air. but if that what floats the boat, then by all means.  Will they let you write off if you lose a couple of million pesos from the small nest egg you may have accumulated over 45 plus years of work.

Sorry Jack, but I don't see the need personally, I doubt US Revenue would worry too much, but then I have heard they can be pretty  ruthless, but so can Oz. Just my opinion.

Not a scam, just protecting what I have for the sunset years.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes all agreed but you have to Admit you have it to Claim the Deductions.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Hi Jack,

I am just expressing a personal view, I would not be running to them with my hands in the air. but if that what floats the boat, then by all means.  Will they let you write off if you lose a couple of million pesos from the small nest egg you may have accumulated over 45 plus years of work.

Sorry Jack, but I don't see the need personally, I doubt US Revenue would worry too much, but then I have heard they can be pretty  ruthless, but so can Oz. Just my opinion.

Each to our own but Any Countries tax System is not one I would want to get caught foul with.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Hi Jack,

The article is relevant if:

1. You are from US.

2. You are in such a position ie. have properties in both places 

3. Like a lot of us, just living from cheque to cheque

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I think it is time for a Pils Jack!  I can taste one from here.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

The article is relevant if:

1. You are from US.

2. You are in such a position ie. have properties in both places 

The article is relevant to the OP as thats what he was asking about. US tax law and condo ownership.  :smile:

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

In the US, Mortgage Interest and Property Taxes are deductible but only if they are in excess of the Standard Deduction. The Standard Deduction is $9,300 for a single taxpayer and $12,600 for married couples. If mortgage interest and property taxes exceed these amounts you can itemize deductions to reduce your tax bill. If you sell the Condo for a profit you would have to pay Capital Gains taxes on the Profit, but there is a $250,000 exclusion so you are probably in the clear here as well. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Happyhorn52 said:

In the US, Mortgage Interest and Property Taxes are deductible but only if they are in excess of the Standard Deduction. The Standard Deduction is $9,300 for a single taxpayer and $12,600 for married couples. If mortgage interest and property taxes exceed these amounts you can itemize deductions to reduce your tax bill. If you sell the Condo for a profit you would have to pay Capital Gains taxes on the Profit, but there is a $250,000 exclusion so you are probably in the clear here as well. 

It also depends on what you do with the condo.  If you rent it out then it becomes a business and taxes are different.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I didnt read the article before my other post.  That is a good summary.