US Tax ramifications of owning a condo unit

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I was just trying to keep the answer simple, but thanks for the enhanced explanation. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Happyhorn52.......Your post was informative, helpful and on topic. Not sure what your reply is in regard to but it's all good thanks for sharing.

Edited by Old55

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

Well, I put a small deposit P25k on a condo that won't be ready until December 2018. They just broke ground 3 montha ago. I'm only paying P7,000 a month until it's ready. Than get a loan for the balance. So, right now Im unsure if I will proceed with the purchase or just cut my losses and back out. They gave me a TIN number so I'm guessing if I sell it after its built I will have to pay taxes both US and Philippines. I may just rent a condo instead. I just filed my FBAR today. I checked the box amount unknown (let them figure out the amount rather than me make a mistake. I may need to amend my 2015 Federal tax return to include 8938 facta, depending on if I went over threshold or not. Will  find out when FBAR has the total amount. Filed jointly 2015 but with us address, filed FBAR with Philippines address. So I don't know which threshold I need to use. :bonk:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, anthonytt said:

Well, I put a small deposit P25k on a condo that won't be ready until December 2018. They just broke ground 3 montha ago. I'm only paying P7,000 a month until it's ready. Than get a loan for the balance. So, right now Im unsure if I will proceed with the purchase or just cut my losses and back out

Its hit and miss with those.  I'd venture a guess that 2 out of 3 go to completion as planned and the third one is like what we have on the boulevard in Dumaguete.  That being a hole in the ground with a lot of rebar sticking out, lots of workers getting paid, no work getting done, and no idea if they will ever proceed or if its just a money pit that looks good while they continue to sell units and then walk away when they have milked it dry.

I would definitely go with a condo that is preselling but I would wait until they had too much invested to back out of the construction before taking that risk.  When all they have is a hole in the ground it is extremely risky.  But you only have a few thousand into it so you're good.

• Like 2