Eating habits.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been trying to get my wife and daughter to eat healthier foods.Yesterday my wife ate half a cucumber and some other salad. Now her and my Daughter have started eating all of my bread,now I don`t mind that but I wish she would tell me when we are about to run out as I can only get it at lee plaza or hypermart. It is their own bread and is the best I have had since I came to the Philippines, it is called bread worth and it is white very good for sandwiches or toast.My wife has cut down on her salt intake after finding out her BP was a little higher than normal.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Don't have a problem hee, SO and I ae on the same page.  We eat lots of veges, fish, chicken, less of pork and virtually no beer (as it is sh..t or super expensive).

I do like a nice break but very hard to find here also.  I do buy a good bran loaf made by an Israeli guy I found, it is expensive but wonderful bread.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Don't have a problem hee, SO and I ae on the same page.  We eat lots of veges, fish, chicken, less of pork and virtually no beer (as it is sh..t or super expensive).

I do like a nice break but very hard to find here also.  I do buy a good bran loaf made by an Israeli guy I found, it is expensive but wonderful bread.

I like other kinds of bread but for sandwiches I like a plain white

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Bread and healthy food shouldn't really be in one sentence ?.

Its hard to feed Anne vegetables. She likes root type vegetables, but any green leafy thing is a big no no. I have to admit that everytime im in The Philippines i eat alot less vegetables then i do back home. Hard to find a good healthy veggie dish that isn't spiked with a pound of sugar or lard. I have yet to find a place where i can get a proper salad here...

I got her eating healthy when she stayed with me in Australia for 3 months. The local shop was 20km awey and she cant drive (we did most our shopping 350km awey in Perth as it was 2 times cheaper and because of that we had no reason to visit the local shop and buy junk). When we did our 2 week shopping i kept an eye on the cart and filled it up with fresh groceries. Now if somebody could keep me awey from beer like that, id be a skinny fellow soon ??.

Hoping it will be same in Europe :D.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Bread and healthy food shouldn't really be in one sentence ?.

Its hard to feed Anne vegetables. She likes root type vegetables, but any green leafy thing is a big no no. I have to admit that everytime im in The Philippines i eat alot less vegetables then i do back home. Hard to find a good healthy veggie dish that isn't spiked with a pound of sugar or lard. I have yet to find a place where i can get a proper salad here...

I got her eating healthy when she stayed with me in Australia for 3 months. The local shop was 20km awey and she cant drive (we did most our shopping 350km awey in Perth as it was 2 times cheaper and because of that we had no reason to visit the local shop and buy junk). When we did our 2 week shopping i kept an eye on the cart and filled it up with fresh groceries. Now if somebody could keep me awey from beer like that, id be a skinny fellow soon ??.

Hoping it will be same in Europe :D.

Funny but very true,the bread I buy is low in salt and sugar  so healthier. They have also started drinking all the milk so when I want my cereals in the morning there is not enough sometimes. I bought 1/2 kilo of grapes the other day gone in no time at all I managed to get half a handful of them the small ones in the bottom of the bag. I am happy for them to eat the foods but I wish she would tell me when we are getting low oh the joys of marriage eh gotta love  em.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Grapes in  Phils, you need to find somewhere where they will let you pay them off Kev.  100 plus pesos when I was there, ouh.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Grapes in  Phils, you need to find somewhere where they will let you pay them off Kev.  100 plus pesos when I was there, ouh.

Its a 125pesos per 500gr of Aussi grapes in SM. Thats 250pesos per kilo or 7aud. It was quite hard(if not impossible) to get the same grapes in Australia for 7aud a kilo :D.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 13 May 2016 at 9:19 PM, sonjack2847 said:

Funny but very true,the bread I buy is low in salt and sugar  so healthier. They have also started drinking all the milk so when I want my cereals in the morning there is not enough sometimes. I bought 1/2 kilo of grapes the other day gone in no time at all I managed to get half a handful of them the small ones in the bottom of the bag. I am happy for them to eat the foods but I wish she would tell me when we are getting low oh the joys of marriage eh gotta love  em.

Its not the ammount of sugar and salt that make it unhealthy (tho they help). Most of the products made out of grains are highly refined and made from very fine ground flour. With that process most of the minerals and nutrients are lost. What you get are just empty carbs. Because of the milling process your body digests the food much faster, leading to spikes in bloodsugar.

There are meny studys that have come to the conclusion that eating alot of refined grains will make you fat (among other health issues) instead of the all feared cholesterol. The fear of cholesterol was/is a scheme from the big corporations to start using different vegetable oils to save money and get a bigger profit.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Its a 125pesos per 500gr of Aussi grapes in SM. Thats 250pesos per kilo or 7aud. It was quite hard(if not impossible) to get the same grapes in Australia for 7aud a kilo :D.

We were paying $4 per kilo in Coles and Woolworths when we were there, nice grapes.

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yesterday we got the health check done on her part and it came back with a slight high on Cholesterol. (225 for a set maximal value of 200).

I have no idea if that is just above or more than just above treashold.

Anyway, she was told to eat less rice... Now, Houston, we have a problem :shades:

Since neither of us ever had to think about this we are not sure we understand the implications. Eating healthier, and that's it?

Edited by MikeSwede