Eating habits.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MikeSwede said:

Yesterday we got the health check done on her part and it came back with a slight high on Cholesterol. (225 for a set maximal value of 200).

I have no idea if that is just above or more than just above treashold.

Anyway, she was told to eat less rice... Now, Houston, we have a problem :shades:

Since neither of us ever had to think about this we are not sure we understand the implications. Eating healthier, and that's it?

Your totally fine. Now i know that Huffingtonpost isn't a scientific webpage, but they have a good informative easy to read article about Cholesterol levels. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/the-cholesterol-myth-that_b_676817.html

Theres meny documentarys about the war againts Cholesterol and most of them end up with the same conclusion - a lobby from huge corporations to sell unhealthy vegetable oil based crap. Oh and to sell you drugs.

http://wellnessmama.com/2193/never-eat-vegetable-oil/ here is another good read on why you should try to avoid vegetable oils.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 2

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Your totally fine. Now i know that Huffingtonpost isn't a scientific webpage, but they have a good informative easy to read article about Cholesterol levels.

Thanks, and will read that tomorrow. Thunder and rain for next coming two weeks, plenty of time to put my head into it.

I like the Huffington people, they dig up good stuff. So did you.

:tiphat:

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I finally got my wife to cut down on pork. Not just the meat but the fat that comes with it. Other than the fatty pork, she eats a lot of veggies. More than me. I do eat healthier in the Philippines than in the states. Probably because more of the food that I like is plentiful in the states and not available in the Philippines. 

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, MikeSwede said:

Yesterday we got the health check done on her part and it came back with a slight high on Cholesterol. (225 for a set maximal value of 200).

I have no idea if that is just above or more than just above treashold.

Anyway, she was told to eat less rice... Now, Houston, we have a problem :shades:

Since neither of us ever had to think about this we are not sure we understand the implications. Eating healthier, and that's it?

I have been on cholesterol tablets for a number of years, never serious numbers.  I have always thought that I am making the pharmaceutical companies rich.  SO now only slightly over and on tablets also.  My paranoia is increasing!

My dotorin fact 2 of them told me to cut back on rice. my SO has cut back also.  Plenty of veges (Sander will tell yo otherwise) fish, chicken is the go so they tell me.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I have been on cholesterol tablets for a number of years, never serious numbers.  I have always thought that I am making the pharmaceutical companies rich.  SO now only slightly over and on tablets also.  My paranoia is increasing!

My dotorin fact 2 of them told me to cut back on rice. my SO has cut back also.  Plenty of veges (Sander will tell yo otherwise) fish, chicken is the go so they tell me.

Cholesterol can be a funny thing. it comes in 2 parts. ie; the good and the bad. Unfortunately the things we eat and drink to reduce the Bad can at times affect the Good. I had my Stroke in 2012 because of extremely elevated Bad. 

Reducing White GM rice is good but the contents are also good for the Good so what do you Do? I have gone back to a European Diet as far as I can when all through my Life I never had a problem with Cholesterol but 18 years in Spain on the "Spanish Diet" Put me at risk, so now I eat maybe 3 Small portions of Whit rice per week and have gone Back to what my 68 year old Body knows. "Potatoes" Salads and plenty of veg ( When we can get some good stuff. When our Bodies have spent years on a particular Diet ( As mother used to give us) the System gets a big Shock when changed so Dramatically and this can lead to problems. I never had a Sugar problem until i moved here Full Time in 2012 after the Stroke, So once again I feel it is the Local Diet( Filipino) that is the cause, so my friends, Sod the cost! I will eat now what I have been enjoying most of my Life, Couple that to what ever medication is Prescribed and constant BP checks and blood tests will soon tell us all what we need to know.  I have really stopped talking to the doctor on medicines, I now have a friendly Pharmacist (Chemist) who will tell me what I have been prescribed will be of use. 

Jack:smile:

Morning All:cornflakes:

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

K is good at stir fried vegetables and does an excellent siniggang, but her salt intake is off the scale, and she won't be told.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Methersgate said:

K is good at stir fried vegetables and does an excellent siniggang, but her salt intake is off the scale, and she won't be told.

My girls salt is the same, so last time back in OZ I bought some Lite Salt, it's 50% less Sodium, she has cut down now, I am sure you could get the same over there, I got mine from the local supermarket.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

My girls salt is the same, so last time back in OZ I bought some Lite Salt, it's 50% less Sodium, she has cut down now, I am sure you could get the same over there, I got mine from the local supermarket.

Thanks; I'll give that a try - but a lot of the salt intake comes from the Pinoy sauces and ingredients that she buys.

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

You must live in a different Philippines. I dont think i have ever had salty food here, just overly sweet. Last week i asked for salt in Mang Inasal (you know the local bbq restaurant that is in almost every mall). They went to look for some and came back with a "sorry sir we dont have any salt" ??.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I would say that they use a fair amount of sugar on grilled food (bbqs, inasal) and noodles/pasta.  For regular fare, they are heavy on salt. 

For as long as she has live in Toronto, and that would be 31 years, my wife has always kept patis by her side when we dine at home.  She doesn't always use it, but she would always be sure that we never run out.

And, yes, there is toyo, bagoong, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and sea salt for cooking staples.