Windows 10, Like It Or Not, I got it!

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Follow up on my Windows 10 nightmare.  Tech could not fix and in the end reverted me to Windows 7, immediate success, so absolutely no doubt Windows 10 was the  problem.  Cost me 3000 bht to fix it.

Sander, my advice, don't do it for your sanity.

Microsh&t didn't give me a choice and they updated my laptop without asking me. Ill give it a try. Im well capable of doing a harddrive wipe (not going back to windows 8.1) and a clean install of windows 7 myself.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Follow up on my Windows 10 nightmare.  Tech could not fix and in the end reverted me to Windows 7, immediate success, so absolutely no doubt Windows 10 was the  problem.  Cost me 3000 bht to fix it.

Sander, my advice, don't do it for your sanity.

Although it might be windows 10 that was your problem but it might be a reason in your case such as bad download and install. Something went wrong mid way or something. Would like to hear from anyone who has a new computer using windows 10 and if they have problems. 

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Although it might be windows 10 that was your problem but it might be a reason in your case such as bad download and install. Something went wrong mid way or something. Would like to hear from anyone who has a new computer using windows 10 and if they have problems. 

My SO got a new computer in Oz last month, Windows 10, so far no problem.  However, there are a number of sites that I looked up where others downloaded the upgrade and have encountered the same problems as I had.  It is not a one off!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

It's been months since I last tried my windows 10, I will crank it up again and see if they have patched it up sufficiently to work with my name brand monitor that it calls generic.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

My laptop feels really slow with Windows 10. Its a Intel i7, 8gb ram and a ssd harddrive... Shouldn't  be this slow..

Edited by Sander Martin

• 1 month later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

anything concerning windows should always be a clean install and not an update to another os...  ms really is bad on the update versions and often there is so much that is going to be broken...  that is why most machines you buy with win10 already installed will work better...  plus the fact that ms likes to only design for the latest technology...

yes, i'm sticking with my macbook for my writing and my ubuntu (latest upgrade to the newest os is always done right...  hehe) on my older machines...  :89::whistling:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well with about 5 days to go for the free windows upgrade I decided to decline the offer and stick with 7. I figure that since my laptop would have to be 5 years old that 7 will be around for the lifetime of the laptop so I wont be using 10 until the day comes that I need a new machine.    :5714137783ea0_1(172):

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

Putting w10 on my laptop at this very moment through the update. I'm also downloading the creation media from Microsoft at the same time because I'm going to do a clean install after the "update". It seems most of the people with success with W10 have new machines or did a clean install. Everything I have is either backed up or easy to obtain again so I will let windows do it's worst, or hopefully, best. The laptop is about 4 years old but was only my primary computer for about a year in the Philippines.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Windows10 auto update. This might help someone with a slow connection that doesn't want the auto update to run). 

We have a slow 1mb connection (best we can have here) and everytime i started up my laptop, the internet went super slow. Torrent was off, noone else was watching youtube etc and nothing was updating (or thats what i was thinking). Turns out that Windows10 downloads updates in the backround without telling you (you wont even have that small icon near your clock that says updating like you had with previous windows versions). You cant turn the auto update off either... Google helped me. Turn all your connections (even wifi) metered. Only way to stop windows10 downloading crap..

• Like 1

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:14 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Read my previous post on Windows 10 out of the box on a Lenovo laptop that I purchased here in the Philippines. I still stand by my post although I will add this. Don't try to run Windows 10 on a laptop with 2GB of RAM like my Lenovo. It's just too slow. Every time I click on an any icon, like File Explorer, there is about a 4 or 5 second delay before it will fire up. I disabled all unnecessary processes at start up in the Task Manager and it still runs slow. I did a full scan with Windows Defender and there are no viruses on the PC. It's so frustrating that I went to the shop to have them add 2GB of RAM and was told that it will void the warranty. I let my wife use the Window 10 laptop. I'll stick to Windows 8.1 on my HP Notebook with 4GB of RAM. Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for rolling out this POS.     

• Like 3