Male Gays In The Filipino Family Structure

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This might be a sensitive topic so I will choose my words carefully, and I ask that you also choose your words carefully.

Here in the Philippines I have observed that the gay culture is much more “out” than back in the U.S.A. or even in Germany where I lived for 4 years.  And, I observed that this seems to apply more to male gays than females.  I notice a lot of lesbians here, but they tend to blend in more.  The same back in the U.S.A;  I found lesbians, for the most part, preferred to blend in.

Here in the Subic / Olongapo area, there are many male gays.  Sometimes I have to sit in the car waiting for my wife, and I just people watch.  There seems to be a really high percentage of male gays, who are easily recognized by their dress and mannerisms.  I even see boys as young as 7-8-9-10 who appear to have accepted their gay sexuality at a young age.

Many years ago in the U.S.,  I have heard figures tossed around (usually by the gay community) that 10% of the general population is gay, and I could never accept that.  Way to high.  Maybe 1%, I thought.  However, here in PH, 10% seems entirely possible.  Even more??

I believe that most gay people are born with these tendencies.  Some may try desperately to hide it, while others come out.  I also believe that some humans fall into the gay lifestyle when they are not really gay to start with.  However, they are usually in the “borderline” category.  
Coming out depends heavily on the society they live in.  In the U.S., grade school age kids try to fit in to avoid bullying, harassment, etc.  Here in the Philippines, gays are much more readily accepted, so more or most are “out”.

So here is my main question and it is more about male gays than female gays.  Here in the Philippines, how are the male gays perceived in the family structure when they are young and maturing?  Are they readily accepted and encouraged at a young age?  Are they outcasts?  Something in between?  If their grade school boy begins to walk and act like girl, how does the family react?  No problem, just accept it?  Is there something in the Filipino family culture that results in more male gays?  I know we have had some discussions on males being “babied” in the Filipino family, so I thought there may be some relationship there.

My wife’s family does not have any gays that I know of, so I have no insight there.  I’m sure many of you have some experiences to share from either your Filipino families or elsewhere.

Inquiring minds want to know.  I am just curious because I see so many male gays here, and when older, they are readily accepted by society, although I think as more of a second class citizen, usually.  There are of course many exceptions to that, with many gays very successful.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

We live near Seattle Washington ground zero for gay culture. I have male workmates friends and family here who are gay. We also have family and friends in Cebu who are gay men. My wife and I think gay men are very accepted in Philippines.

There is a difference in gay culture in Philippines compared to the US. Gay men in the States for the most part have interest in only other gay men. In Philippines there is a large segment of gay men who are interested in both gay and hetro men. I don't get that at all.:89:

One Filipino family member dresses as a woman but is clearly a guy intentionally. I was able to have a nice conversation with him about it. He said he is a gay man likes gay guys and that he is not a man in a woman's body. My best man and good friend is a gay Filipino you would not know he is gay immediately. His partner is a very flamboyant stereotype hair dresser Bernardo accent on the "o". :hystery: They are a hoot love those guys.

A late teen second cousin has won some beauty contests when dressed up you would never know. His younger sister has also won beauty contests you would think she is in her mid 20's but that's getting off topic.:crashh:

Add.... The last two times I was in Cebu there seemed to be a number of transexuals or crossdressing men in the malls. They seemed to be looking for Foreigners I guess as PFP or?

Edited by Old55
Cross dressing guys will be girls

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Inquiring minds want to know.  I am just curious because I see so many male gays here, and when older, they are readily accepted by society, although I think as more of a second class citizen, usually.  There are of course many exceptions to that, with many gays very successful.

Male Gays In The Filipino Family Structure?

Hmmmmmmmmm, Now there, begs a question  from me? Are they really "Gay" or are they just effeminate, 

There is a difference of Course. Maybe I will see some answers before proceeding on this 

Jack:mellow:

Morning all :morning1: ( Still not well but coping.:Count_Sheep:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Old55 said:

A late teen second cousin has won some beauty contests when dressed up you would never know. His younger sister has also won beauty contests you would think she is in her mid 20's but that's getting off topic.:crashh:

Hmmm is it really off Topic because that comment falls into line with my Question on Post 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Are they really "Gay" or are they just effeminate,

The ones I am talking about are most likely certainly gay.  I know the effeminate ones you are talking about.  Also while waiting in the car, they have to look a themselves and brush their hair in the dark tinted mirror of my car windows!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The ones I am talking about are most likely certainly gay.  I know the effeminate ones you are talking about.  Also while waiting in the car, they have to look a themselves and brush their hair in the dark tinted mirror of my car windows!

OK! now we were asked to choose words carefully but I can only ask outright to get understanding in this, What are peoples Interpretations of a gay male?

Homosexual, as in the modern meaning of the Word "Gay"

Effeminate. wanna be Female look a likes.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

OK! now we were asked to choose words carefully but I can only ask outright to get understanding in this, What are peoples Interpretations of a gay male?

Homosexual, as in the modern meaning of the Word "Gay"

Effeminate. wanna be Female look a likes.

#1 in the context of my original post.  For instance, I would consider Bruce Jenner to be gay and he came out of the closet.  All the sex change and dressing up came later and is reserved for rich gays.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So it makes me wonder how may are truly gay, how may are attention seekers, and how many will go whichever way the wind blows (read that as 'bi' or undecided).  It makes me question whether they are really born gay or just spoiled rotten as infants so they will do whatever it takes to continue getting attention.

This is kind of the angle I was getting at.  What happens in early life in the family?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I would consider Bruce Jenner to be gay

This is interesting in light of your statement that:

1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I believe that most gay people are born with these tendencies

This would mean that Bruce led a life of lies for decades until he came out of the closet, or that he is leading a life of lies now.  Or it could mean that people are not born that way but nurtured that way, as in the Kardacians stripped every last ounce of manhood away from the poor guy.

• Like 2