Male Gays In The Filipino Family Structure

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, davewe said:

As to the Philippines, yes there is tolerance and acceptance. But I also think there is derision and contempt. My wife and her friends point out matter of factly, "he's a gay," but if you dig further there is still a certain amount of judgment and contempt in their views.

I think from the stories told here, having a gay son in PH would still be a negative in the family.  E.G., if they realize he is gay at some point, it would still be "Oh, no" rather than "How nice, he is such a sweetheart!".

No matter how accepting we are, it is still tougher for a gay to succeed, and opportunities are limited.

I'm still wondering if the strong mother figures without strong father figures is a factor.  As Davewe said, many people are not 100% anything, so strong influences or loose upbringing might influence their choices as they become adults.  For instance, a poor young man is still trying to figure things out, and a sugar daddy offers to take care of him.  Probably an easy choice for a poor boy.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Just a side issue, I was thinking how 'gays' persona has changed since my young days. They were badly treated and often bashed etc. These days, gays are often health addicts, go to gyms and can more than handle themselves. Here in Pattaya, they have a bad reputation for bashing elderly 'old fags' on a regular basis, then robbing them. But my point is, that most can now look after themselves and the 'fag bashers' often come off 2nd best, which is a good thing.

I think they are still treated bad in western countries. Thats why you dont see them in the streets like here. By that i mean they still go out, but you wouldn't know a mile awey that most of them are gay. In western countries they mostly keep to themselfs and dont dress up like here. How meny ladyboys did you see on your last visit to Australia Ron? Im guessing barely any.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes you are correct Sander, I did not see any, but apart from one train trip, did not see much outside my medical  stuff and family, plus a few friends.

About the only time you see them in numbers is the Gay Mardi Gras at Kings Cross once a year (or if you go up to Kings Cross), which is Oz version of Pattaya or Soi Cowboy.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have a couple friends here who are gay...  one is always immaculately dressed and keeps himself in shape ...  and the girls literally swoon over him...  it's such a shame he has to break the bad news to them...  hehe !  Another works behind the scenes in both the fashion and entertainment worlds...  he let slip once that, if I ever want to have a model stay the night or longer?  Tell her I'm a lesbian in a man's body...  Dam it but he was right!  

:whistling:

• Like 1