Calling all nipple experts!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

We finally had our new La Germania gas range / oven delivered yesterday and I hit a roadblock with the installation.

In the back it has a fixed metal gas pipe coming out with a male nut assembly on it that is supposed to attach to a metal gas pipe.  For rubber hose gas lines, they include a female nipple that will screw onto the male fitting.  The nipple is on the right in the picture below:

DSCN2173.JPG

On the left is the new regulator I bought, which has the standard size nipple.  Note that the La Germania supplied nipple is slightly smaller than the standard size on the regulator.  So in theory, they fit two different sized hoses.

The La Germania slides into a standard size hose, too easily.  I can clamp it down but I am uneasy about the fit as it will be in the house.

My other problem is that I need about 2-3 meters of hose, and the typical packaged hose is 1.5, so I need to buy from a bulk reel.

1.  Can I find another nipple like the silver one above with a larger, standard nipple?  It looks bigger than a 1/2 inch thread but it says 1/2 on the side and the manual says 1/2.  I have no idea what the nipple size is.

2.  Can I find a regulator with a smaller nipple that will match the L.G. nipple?

I went to a few place but I did not find a solution yet.  I'm going to ask at our LPG dealer tomorrow.

I know that nipples are a sensitive subject, but I really need the experts!  Scott, you have a La Germania.  Are you familiar with the nipples?

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you used automotive grade fuel line that fit the small barb fitting, you could bell the other end with needle nose pliers or by shoving an oversize bolt in it and letting it sit for a few hours, remove the bolt and spit on the regulator barb connector and ram it on and the hose will contract to the point you would probably have to cut it lengthwise if you ever wanted to remove it. I have had to do this with fuel lines at 14 Psi, ounces of gas pressure should be no problem.

Or you could make an adapter with a barb splice with the appropriate barb and hoses on each end.

It's tough to guage size from the picture but the stove could be 1/2 (inside diameter) male iron pipe (MIP) and if so it shouldn't be that hard to find a replacement barb connector with a larger barb.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2

skyskyper
Posted
Posted

I couldn't find any nipple at all!

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

go with smaller internal bore hose. put end of hose in cup or bowl of boiling hot water to soften it, will then easily fit bigger nipple into smaller now softened hose.

Personally i prefer bigger nipples than softer one....hahaha

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

.....they include a female nipple that will screw onto the male fitting......I know that nipples are a sensitive subject, but I really need the experts!  Scott, are you familiar with the nipples?

Yep, I'm guilty of taking the topic out of context.  But the devil made me do it....he, haw.  

Edited by Jake
deleted stupid comebacks
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Yep, I'm guilty of taking the topic out of context.  But the devil made me do it....he, haw.  

Gas Grill connections.htm

Jake, that article fried my brain!  All I need is a little nipple advice and I would expect that  someone with your broad experience would have plenty of nipple advice to share!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I no experience with LPG lines. If it were me I would get with the Gas dealer have someone who knows what they are doing (good luck!) provide the correct safe hard plumbing. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

It's tough to guage size from the picture but the stove could be 1/2 (inside diameter) female iron pipe (MIP) and if so it shouldn't be that hard to find a replacement barb connector with a larger barb.

That would be my preferred solution.  Possible the propane dealer will have these?  Any other ideas on where to look?

3 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

go with smaller internal bore hose. put end of hose in cup or bowl of boiling hot water to soften it, will then easily fit bigger nipple into smaller now softened hose.

That would be my second option but I want to make sure I still have a healthy hose when done, as it will be used in the house every day.

The problem might be finding a smaller hose in a 2-3 meter length.  My favorite hardware store stocks it in bulk but is out of stock now.