Calling all nipple experts!

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

I no experience with LPG lines. If it were me I would get with the Gas dealer have someone who knows what they are doing (good luck!) provide the correct safe hard plumbing. 

Sounds like the best option, with just an added precaution to be switched off of a night as a extra safety :thumbsup:

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Maybe you could try a local car parts supplier, I had to get some high pressure water hoses for my car and the place I went to had a good range of sizes that I think would do the job for you, give them a try.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My propane dealer had quality hoses that would have worked on both nipples, but they were too short for my setup.  They referred me to an appliance parts place that we had stopped in before but I never thought about getting a hose there.  They also had a similar good quality Japanese LPG hose in bulk so I bought 4 yards.

I spent the afternoon setting up the stove and it does not work!!

So now I have some things to rant about!  :smile:

1.  Abenson did not stock this La Germania model and showed me others that did not come with a plug; only the wires.  When it arrived I asked again about the plug and he told me would have to supply one.  So I went and bought a giant heavy duty plug to match my U.S. Navy outlet that was probably for an electric stove.  It is the huge type with a straight flat edge ground at the top and two angled flat bits for the phase and neutral.  When the stove was delivered and out of the box, it had a plug, not just wiring.  It actually was the same configuration plug that I needed, but a mini version that would not fit my outlet.  So I cut it off and attached my new plug.  If they would have told me it had a plug, I probably would have replaced the wall outlet as I really don't need that giant heavy duty plug.

2.  It came with one of the worst manuals I have ever seen.  It kept referring to "figure 1", etc., but there were no "Figures"!.  Just now I downloaded the same exact manual and it has the figures at the end.

3.  Blue shrink plastic.  Have you dealt with this stuff?  The exterior of all of the large metal parts of the stove came with a protective shrink wrap.  Each part was done separately before assembly, so getting it all off meant I had to take some screws off of the cooking surface area.  Otherwise it seemed that I would have some small pieces of it burning or melting when we used it.  What a pain!

4.  It doesn't work!  Electrical is fine but gas is not getting to the burners or oven.  I tested the gas all the way to the inlet pipe and it is fine.  After reading some of the garble in the manual, I suspect that it is not set up for LPG.  The silver nipple I showed above may not be for LPG.  The "figures" I found in the online manual show 4 types that can be used for propane or natural or butane gas, but they are not labeled to show which is which!  If that nipple is not for LPG (it is the only one included) then it might be likely that the burner nozzles are not for LPG as well and would need to be changed.  The nipple is also a kind of "valve" in the it restricts the flow.  The one I pictured above has a very small hole, much smaller than the hole on the standard LPG regulator.

So off to Abenson in the morning to see if anyone there has any technical knowledge.  I doubt it.  They will probably have to schedule a service call.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I am going to buy a couple of the portable gas burners that take the small aerosol can size fuel bottles. 2 separate ones for redundancy instead of a double burner and I can carry them outside and not heat up the house. Maybe I will keep what hair I have left. :smile:

If I decide I need it I will buy a big toaster oven that regulates well.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 7/11/2016 at 5:28 PM, OnMyWay said:

We finally had our new La Germania gas range / oven delivered yesterday and I hit a roadblock with the installation.

In the back it has a fixed metal gas pipe coming out with a male nut assembly on it that is supposed to attach to a metal gas pipe.  For rubber hose gas lines, they include a female nipple that will screw onto the male fitting.  The nipple is on the right in the picture below:

DSCN2173.JPG

On the left is the new regulator I bought, which has the standard size nipple.  Note that the La Germania supplied nipple is slightly smaller than the standard size on the regulator.  So in theory, they fit two different sized hoses.

The La Germania slides into a standard size hose, too easily.  I can clamp it down but I am uneasy about the fit as it will be in the house.

I'm no expert on nipples other than owning two, but we clamped our hose when installing our LaGermania stove. That is done here most often I think, but if you're uneasy about that, then don't do it. Maybe the LaGermania dealer in your area would have a solution for you.

Queenie

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

OMW, I purchased a similar stove/oven (LaGermania) from Abensons. Had to go thru the same crap with the blue plastic wrap everywhere. I ended up clamping the hose on the regulator and oven. 

You also may want to check at American Hardware (on Gordon avenue just past SM mall going towards the 13th street gate) for longer hoses. They have reels of hoses and sell by the foot.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks for this thread, guys.  It has me convinced that I will buy my stove from the local gas-fitter and have them install it.  The difference in price is negligible.

Question:  When I am ready for the new gas stove, the once 'dirty kitchen' will be all enclosed with concrete blocks and concrete roof.  There is nowhere to put a window that does not lead to one of the neighbor's kitchens so how safe is a propane gas stove in a totally enclosed area?

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 7/12/2016 at 2:18 AM, Kuya John said:

Sounds like the best option, with just an added precaution to be switched off of a night as a extra safety :thumbsup:

I agree Kuya John--we even turn off the propane every time we're finished using it. Just as an extra safety precaution against a potential gas leak.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Question:  When I am ready for the new gas stove, the once 'dirty kitchen' will be all enclosed with concrete blocks and concrete roof.  There is nowhere to put a window that does not lead to one of the neighbor's kitchens so how safe is a propane gas stove in a totally enclosed area?

There are models that are specifically vent free, just as there are vent free propane fireplaces. That does not mean there is no odor or that it is particularly good for you. Is there a way you can at least install a vent fan (would also help with heat buildup as sounds like your dirty kitchen is now an oven itself)

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

we clamped our hose when installing our LaGermania stove. That is done here most often I think, but if you're uneasy about that, then don't do it.

We always clamp the stove hoses.  I thought that was required.

40 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

we even turn off the propane every time we're finished using it.

Yes, same here.  We only have the gas on when it is being used.

1 hour ago, jon1 said:

American Hardware (on Gordon avenue just past SM mall

You have been gone too long!  I think you mean Goodyear and they were out of stock.  If you ever need appliance parts, try OBT Trading near the SM parking exit.  They have a large stock of stuff.

Where will all the cooking fumes go?  Completely enclosed might kill you.

I will buy my stove from the local gas-fitter

Are you talking about a table top burner or a full oven type unit?  Table top should not be a problem to install but if they do it for free, why not?  The larger indoor units are more complex and if I could have bought one from a gas fitter, I surely would have.  I don't know of such places here that would carry large units.

I went to Abenson today and they are going to have a service tech come out.  They don't have anybody technical that can know anything about the unit or the installation.