Buying a Motorcycle?

Domino22
Posted
Posted

I did a search here but when I just entered "motorcycle" drive by's and murder came up. So here are my questions.

1) When you get above a 250cc bike is the import tax higher costs as in VAT etc?

2) I understand that the market for larger bikes is smaller than mopeds - smaller bikes due to cost and local income. And the seat height on some bikes.

3) If you want to order a bike say Honda 500 something that they do not stock but could order how much more would it cost in general and with all that goes with that?

4) Has anyone done that? Or are you better off just buying off the dealer floor?

5) I did see a Kawasaki 650 bike posted at a dealer but never found the price.

6) As for insurance on the bike does theft insurance available?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Adding questions to the above post, What about a used bike. I know there is some presidential decree prohibiting importing of a used bike or car. However I have seen 'foreigners' on a motorcycle tour who have brought their own bikes into the country for touring purposes. Does any one know how this is done and the rules about taxing or duration of the stay of the bike? Once 'in' is there any follow up by the government?

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

I've researched quite a lot about available big bikes in the Philippines. Seems to me the Suzuki Bandit 600cc is one of the best deals around, and getting spare parts shouldn't be as hard as other bikes as you buy it directly from any Suzuki dealer with warranty and all that. 

There are also second hand bikes available in larger urban areas: 

http://ph.priceprice.com/motorcycle/?motorcycle-type=Cruiser-10

robert k
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Bruce said:

Adding questions to the above post, What about a used bike. I know there is some presidential decree prohibiting importing of a used bike or car. However I have seen 'foreigners' on a motorcycle tour who have brought their own bikes into the country for touring purposes. Does any one know how this is done and the rules about taxing or duration of the stay of the bike? Once 'in' is there any follow up by the government?

I read up on this some time ago and if the bike isn't exported again they will execute your bank account.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, afathertobe said:

There are also second hand bikes available in larger urban areas: 

http://ph.priceprice.com/motorcycle/?motorcycle-type=Cruiser-10

Has anyone found any useful information on this site? It looks nice but of the 10 or so bikes I looked at in the link the newest listing was over a year old, most were 2009-2013.

Gator
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Domino22 said:

I did a search here but when I just entered "motorcycle" drive by's and murder came up. So here are my questions.

1) When you get above a 250cc bike is the import tax higher costs as in VAT etc?

2) I understand that the market for larger bikes is smaller than mopeds - smaller bikes due to cost and local income. And the seat height on some bikes.

3) If you want to order a bike say Honda 500 something that they do not stock but could order how much more would it cost in general and with all that goes with that?

4) Has anyone done that? Or are you better off just buying off the dealer floor?

5) I did see a Kawasaki 650 bike posted at a dealer but never found the price.

6) As for insurance on the bike does theft insurance available?

Hello and welcome to the board.

1). Tax is based on value and country of origin, not engine displacement. It's not uncommon for it to be 125% or so of the actual retail book value. 

2). Much smaller market for many reasons including parts availability and to a lessor extent fuel consumption as well. Where do you plan on doing the bulk of your riding? A smaller scooter or dual sport is ideal if your going to be riding mostly in cities. I have a 175cc (badged as a 150cc) dual sport and it's fine even on longer trips I've taken around Cebu. 

3). More? More then what? It'll cost what the dealer quotes you. Just be sure to get the "out the door" price.

4). I haven't, but did look into Harley's at the dealer in Cebu. There was no extra cost for ordering a 1200cc Sportster in the color I wanted and with some extra accessories as opposed to one of the black ones they had in stock. 

5). Email them; and Google is also your friend in getting prices. 

6). Yes.  Cost of course depends on various factors including, but not limited to,  your place of residence, value of the bike, etc. Be sure to thoroughly check out the company as you might be in for a surprise if you ever need to submit a claim -. 

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Has anyone found any useful information on this site? It looks nice but of the 10 or so bikes I looked at in the link the newest listing was over a year old, most were 2009-2013.

I believe I mentioned I have used Emcor PH online knowing they are a little high, I would expect I could bargain down 4-5k php at a dealership. At least the prices they have are current and you don't have to go door to door or find a shop on FB and text someone who may or may not answer.

Domino22
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the feed back. Let me add some info to some of the replies. 

1) A 125cc would be fine if I stayed on paved roads. In Bohol I rented a Yamaha YBR ?? Well 125cc. Went all over Bohol and Panglao on that bike. But when I went to Anda and on the map saw a loop up the east side I thought I would make a day trip and find a place to eat lunch. Well when the pavement ended I kept going and got myself in trouble and I could not back track out of the jungle and climb the hill I had gone down. I have the video on youtube. A young girl and her brother pushed me up the hill, I was ready to walk out!

2) I am fat 100 kilos so it takes more horse power to move my mass.

3) I want to be able to go thru the jungle roads - trails etc. No crazy motocross stuff or making a new trail. Slow and steady and not get hurt.

4) I want to be able to tour around and explore and carry all my stuff and dive gear on a bike. If I can not put it on the bike it will not come with me in the beginning of my retirement. Down the road that will change slowly I think.

5) Yamaha Serow 250 and Honda CRF250L I think I have been looking at. I will buy new only and am not sure what will be available in 2018. That is my target year.

6) Parts are Parts and I know that whatever I buy I need to be able to get it fixed/serviced etc.

7) I am new to this site and have read a lot of posts but sometimes doing the search thing does not get you the info you need from the local folks.

8) Just a thought I saw a Honda 500 that a dealer added offroad tires and a carbon fiber exhaust and it looked awesome. Photo to big to post here.

9) long post sorry. Arrive Dumagete 11/12/16 Just checking this area out to see if it would be for me. Dove here in Dauin a long time ago and have been to Dumagete several times during that trip.

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I'm also a big guy and will soon be looking for a bike/scooter to get around.

I found this site online.

http://www.motortrade.com.ph/

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Domino22 said:

Thanks for the feed back. Let me add some info to some of the replies. 

1) A 125cc would be fine if I stayed on paved roads. In Bohol I rented a Yamaha YBR ?? Well 125cc. Went all over Bohol and Panglao on that bike. But when I went to Anda and on the map saw a loop up the east side I thought I would make a day trip and find a place to eat lunch. Well when the pavement ended I kept going and got myself in trouble and I could not back track out of the jungle and climb the hill I had gone down. I have the video on youtube. A young girl and her brother pushed me up the hill, I was ready to walk out!

2) I am fat 100 kilos so it takes more horse power to move my mass.

3) I want to be able to go thru the jungle roads - trails etc. No crazy motocross stuff or making a new trail. Slow and steady and not get hurt.

4) I want to be able to tour around and explore and carry all my stuff and dive gear on a bike. If I can not put it on the bike it will not come with me in the beginning of my retirement. Down the road that will change slowly I think.

5) Yamaha Serow 250 and Honda CRF250L I think I have been looking at. I will buy new only and am not sure what will be available in 2018. That is my target year.

6) Parts are Parts and I know that whatever I buy I need to be able to get it fixed/serviced etc.

7) I am new to this site and have read a lot of posts but sometimes doing the search thing does not get you the info you need from the local folks.

8) Just a thought I saw a Honda 500 that a dealer added offroad tires and a carbon fiber exhaust and it looked awesome. Photo to big to post here.

9) long post sorry. Arrive Dumagete 11/12/16 Just checking this area out to see if it would be for me. Dove here in Dauin a long time ago and have been to Dumagete several times during that trip.

The serow would suit you. I purchased one new a year ago as a second d bike. It would do all you require, just sit long an hard on it first. Has quite an unusual sitting position, knees are very high and takes a bit of getting used to.

Think still on special, dropped P17k a week after I bought which is par for the course with me.

Under powered but super reliable and pretty good off road capabilities.,

• Like 2