Buying a Motorcycle?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Get one lower to the ground as possible, it won't hurt so much when you fall off!

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Domino22 said:

I understand the low profile bike that would not stand out that much. But I would not be happy with that long term. It would be a cheaper option for sure and even buying used would cut the cost. My "plan" is to be mobile for the first couple of years and be able to move around to different locations. I will rent and at this time I have no plans to buy a condo, nor am I looking for a long time relationship and all that goes with that. Single-mobile-& free!

If common sense is applied there should be no problem with theft. I have been riding here for many years, traveled extensively and no problem. On the XTZ I have an alarm, not so much for theft more to stop the locals laying on it to have their pic taken, also funny to see the expressions when it rips, very ear piecing.

On the little serow if leaving at hotels we ensure its secure and off road. Local resto and places we normally park within eye view and at times lock steering. its really just common sense. Cities when shopping,  best to just pay the boys P5 and have them keep an eye on it. 

One comment its worth investing in good chain lock for the helmets, appears that there are people whom hang in basements of malls waiting for a chance to steal a helmet, I know as lost a good one a while back in Park Mall.

Although have insurance on the car, do not have on the bikes. rego covers a basic 3rd party injury  which I never heard of them paying out. If your unfortunate enough to have an accident resulting in a serious injury to a third party its likely you will not be around to sort out insurance.

Final comment, invest in a proper helmet and never as in never ride without very suitable footwear. I have seen some very serious feet injuries.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Domino22 said:

I understand the low profile bike that would not stand out that much.

I mentioned my Honda XRM being stolen.  The same night a filipino had has cheap old Rusi stolen.  We were both at the police station together.  Police told me that thieves will take anything that is easy to steal.  They will steal the unlocked padlock from your gate and sell it for scrap metal if it is easy to steal.  Don't be fooled by the western logic that thieves only take valuable stuff.  Of course they prefer valuable stuff but they will take whatever they can get.

• Like 3

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've heard from police and also mentioned in a documentary that it's actually the reverse - they avoid special/expensive/imported big bikes as they're much harder to sell and easier to track on security cameras. Your average little local bike can be very easily resold however. 

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 3