Buying a Motorcycle?

Domino22
Posted
Posted

I sat on a Yamaha XT250 which I think is the same bike as the Serow 250. I did stand the bike upright and liked the seat height. But thanks for the suggestion about the knees I will have to look at that.

As for insurance I have not really looked at this. Do you need liability ? Can you get theft insurance etc?

robert k
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

I sat on a Yamaha XT250 which I think is the same bike as the Serow 250. I did stand the bike upright and liked the seat height. But thanks for the suggestion about the knees I will have to look at that.

As for insurance I have not really looked at this. Do you need liability ? Can you get theft insurance etc?

You need minimum liability to register, I think the dealer usually takes care of the first policy but I wouldn't rely on that insurance alone. I'm sure full coverage insurance is available.

Domino22
Posted
Posted

THX How bad is the stealing of bikes there? With the new tech would a tracker be worth it? Is insurance there like Mexico? Money goes in money never comes out!

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

With the new tech would a tracker be worth it?

My gut feeling, no. By the time you noticed it gone, my money is on them finding the device, or if not finding a cop that will try and go find it before it is stripped or out of the province

Domino22
Posted
Posted

Well that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling! So instead of buying what I want I should plan on buying 4 bikes that I do not want for the same cost of what I want and replace as they are stolen?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Domino22 said:

Well that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling! So instead of buying what I want I should plan on buying 4 bikes that I do not want for the same cost of what I want and replace as they are stolen?

Not as bad as all that. There is full coverage insurance I'm sure. I would have a little care about security but I would for anything just avoid the inconvenience of my ride going missing. Then too, thieves thrive on opportunity, if your's looks like a pain in the rear to steal they will probably pass in favor of the nice XRM that's screaming take me!:smile:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Domino22 said:

How bad is the stealing of bikes there?

I guess it depends where.  I owned a Honda Wave for 3 years, a Rusi for 2 years, a Honda XRM for 2 years and now a Rusi for 1 year.  Only the Honda XRM got stolen.  That was outside a nice restaurant in Dumaguete.

A more expensive bike would be a target but there are guys riding some very expensive motorcycles in Dumaguete.  They are more careful where they park them than I was, the lock up the bikes better than I did, and I have heard that some use a GPS locating device.  If someone steals a bikers bike and 10 of his friends track it to the location on their Harleys I think they will get it back.  More realistically, an average guy with a GPS location device would go to the cops and tell them his bike was stolen and he has the location, please come help get it back.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/21/2016 at 9:34 AM, Domino22 said:

I understand that the market for larger bikes is smaller than mopeds

Maybe a Royal Enfield would suit you?  http://royalenfieldph.weebly.com/

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/07/royal-enfiled-opens-dealership-philippines-237777

Royal-Enfield-Classic-500-.jpg

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

i've been looking into getting a bike for a while (just waiting for the mess on drivers licences to get cleared up) and, from what i have read here and elsewhere, more people prefer riding their smaller local manufacture / chinese bikes as they are stolen less often, get better mileage and are easier to get through traffic on...  i'm even thinking of either a motorstar or kymco scooter 150 cc...  yeah, i know...  i miss my 900 kawasaki too...  

:whistling::89:

Domino22
Posted
Posted

I understand the low profile bike that would not stand out that much. But I would not be happy with that long term. It would be a cheaper option for sure and even buying used would cut the cost. My "plan" is to be mobile for the first couple of years and be able to move around to different locations. I will rent and at this time I have no plans to buy a condo, nor am I looking for a long time relationship and all that goes with that. Single-mobile-& free!