Keeping fit to fight the years!

PaulB
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone

As I get older these things called calories keep shrinking my clothes. I do my best in the Abu Dhabi heat to try and keep fit to fight against the ageing process.:nudie:

I am just wondering (apart from Chris49) do any of you have a routine to keep your fitness levels up and therefore give your body a healthy chance. Those not yet made the move what will your plans be and are they realistic? I appreciate the temperature, weather and humidity but be very interested to know what gets your heartbeat up that takes place outside the bedroom!:Caught:

In my many trips to the Philippines I have taken my running gear but not been brave enough to take on the Askuls so I seem to only exercise my right arm lifting a cold San Mig Light. I know that is not sustainable so trying to seek ideas.

:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

Paul

Edited by PaulB
  • Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, i am bob said:

I'm the same...  I try to get out early in the morning for at least an hour's walk... If I make it one morning out of 3?  I'm doing good..! When I broke my leg?  4 months of increasing waist line...  Lol!  The start of November will be my 2 year anniversary and, through walking and eating more sensibly (less sweets and more fried chicken, lechon manok, burgers, pizza, adobo, pancit, etc...  Lol), I've lost 6 inches from my waist and 30 kilos overall..!

Ok Bob, I will keep an eye out for that 30kgs, it has to be somewhere! lol

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Walking.  I totally agree with the above posts.  I walk every day for a minimum one hour. When all is well and feet are not blistered I like to walk as much as 4 hours.  Thats about the max for me though, and only once in a while.  I think 1 hour uphill and 45 minutes coming back down is the perfect work out, for me.  Unfortunately I have been doing mainly flat ground these days and I am out of shape for the hills.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Yes, exercise helps you in many ways. It helps in weight control, it helps with digestion, it helps your heart and lungs. So, together with a healthy diet exercise will add years to your life, pleasant years. 

Smoking, alcohol, drugs and a lethargic lifestyle will subtract years from your life and make your subtracted years, miserable both financially and emotionally. 

I would much rather die of heart failure at a ripe old age than die from cancer.diabetes or liver problems. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Walking.  I totally agree with the above posts.  I walk every day for a minimum one hour. When all is well and feet are not blistered I like to walk as much as 4 hours.  Thats about the max for me though, and only once in a while.  I think 1 hour uphill and 45 minutes coming back down is the perfect work out, for me.  Unfortunately I have been doing mainly flat ground these days and I am out of shape for the hills.

So you must post while you walk? :smile:

There is an older Caucasian lady who walks in our neighborhood.  Maybe at least 70?  She literally walks all day, rain or shine.  I see her in the morning, mid-day and evenings.  She walks slowly and she takes rest stops at the bus stops.  Sometimes she even walks clear down the hill.  I have walked and measured the distances here.  We have two loops, and each are about 2 km.  I would estimate she walks at least 10km per day, probably more. 

I suspect she is not quite right.  Possibly dementia or something like that.  However, she seems well enough to do it safely.  She might be the mother of an expat, or something like that.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

So you must post while you walk? 

Its funny that you mention that.  I have had similar thoughts about some members who seem to be doing so much and yet seem to have time to be on the forum 24/7.  Then I remembered the old adage about, if you want something done give it to a busy person.  A person who is not busy is often doing nothing.

There is one member who keeps fit riding a bicycle (you all know who I mean :console: )  and I used to think he may be prone to exaggeration until he started posting pics.  Now I am a believer.  So for pics of my walking I refer any interested people to Yvonne's Facebook page. . .  (oops, I just checked and its full of her selfies while we walk :hystery: :hystery::hystery: )  But I tell you, its more fun to walk with Y than when I used to walk by myself.  Have to admit I got more of a workout when I went by myself or with other foreigners though.

And yesterday:  For preamble, those who live in Dumaguete have been disbelieving when I mention walking from downtown to Sibulan.  Its a long, long walk.  But yesterday there were a large group (hundreds) of local joggers who were actually jogging that distance and more (lost track when they went past my subdivision).  My hat is off to them as walking it is enough for me.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But I tell you, its more fun to walk with Y than when I used to walk by myself.

Yes, it is always more fun to walk (or run or bike) with others.  I find that the time goes by faster and you have motivation to not turn around early!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well given my health (Post Stroke) the last thing I should do is Heavy exercise (According to my UK Consultant & Echoed by my MD here ) But keeping to this Chart  fitness chart.jpg I am in a pretty good Shape, I bicycle every day about 8/10 km Nothing like Chris but enough for me and with the Dogs, walking is a must. I stay to the theory that 2000 steps per day is good exercise. curious.jpg it is 42 steps from my CR to the Kitchen Door and back to my PC do that a few times a day and it soon adds up :shades:

• Like 3