Keeping fit to fight the years!

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, PaulB said:

I do my best in the Abu Dhabi heat to try and keep fit to fight against the ageing process

I worked in Abu Dhabi for 13 years and used to do a brisk walk along the Corniche everyday for an hour regardless of the heat. For some reason the heat doesn't seem to bother me. After I retired to the Philippines I increased my walk to an hour an fifteen minutes a day. I live on the National Highway where walking would be a suicidal act so my walking in confined to my backyard where there is a small basketball court. The only thing that stops me is the rain. If the court is wet it gets too slippery to walk. I do 125 laps around the court. The walking really pays off. I am 65, my BP is normal, and my resting heart rate is 50 beats a minute. I also sleep much better on days that I walk.     

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Mr. Bobo said:

For some reason the heat doesn't seem to bother me.

Agreed.  For the first few weeks the heat bothered me when walking in the mid-day sun.  Then I put on a hat :hystery: Now the heat does not bother me as I accept the fact I am going to sweat like a sauna when walking in the heat.  That said, I prefer the hours of 4 to 6 PM for walking around Dumaguete and area.

DavidK
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Smoking, alcohol, drugs and a lethargic lifestyle will subtract years from your life and make your subtracted years, miserable both financially and emotionally. 

Cutting out alcohol and drugs will certainly make your life feel longer anyway.........

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Cutting out alcohol and drugs will certainly make your life feel longer anyway.........

What about smoking? Cancer in the mouth, throat, nose, lungs but you're right about alcohol and drugs.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

1 hour ago, DavidK said:

What about smoking? Cancer in the mouth, throat, nose

Very rare I am told here, you may have more of a problem with exhaust fumes, If we did all we think we should NOT, we may as well be 6' under

Edited by Jack Peterson

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Very rare I am told here, you may have more of a problem with exhaust fumes, If we did all we think we should NOT, we may as well be 6' under

Wishful thinking? 

Diabetes is a big problem here. I don't know about cancer or heart disease.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thinking about keeping fit to fight the years has me thinking about the expats I've known who have died since I've been here.  There were two who died of cancer, another who was poisoned by his wife, one who had diabetes and died of a related heart attack, and quite a few with pneumonia and/or heart disease.  There may be others but I can't remember any others at this time.  So the two health issues we should definitely be concerned with how to prevent pneumonia and strengthen our hearts.

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mr. Bobo said:

I worked in Abu Dhabi for 13 years and used to do a brisk walk along the Corniche everyday for an hour regardless of the heat. For some reason the heat doesn't seem to bother me. After I retired to the Philippines I increased my walk to an hour an fifteen minutes a day. I live on the National Highway where walking would be a suicidal act so my walking in confined to my backyard where there is a small basketball court. The only thing that stops me is the rain. If the court is wet it gets too slippery to walk. I do 125 laps around the court. The walking really pays off. I am 65, my BP is normal, and my resting heart rate is 50 beats a minute. I also sleep much better on days that I walk.     

Mr. Bobo Abu Dhabi Corniche is still a great place to walk. I live in Al Reef near the airport so a bit far to go each day. I do have a nice run around here and the heat is okay if you adjust your life to early mornings. Great to hear your walking works for you. Thanks for sharing.

chris49
Posted
Posted

I rode 68 km fairly easy on Friday.

The team rode 51 km all off the main roads on Saturday.  Those on my FB may view the Videos. Riding barangay roads and muddy trails over 3 full hours, with another hour ride back home.

I do all that, 300 km a week, sometimes taking an easy week.

However. The single most important tip I can give you past age 60, is lift weights. I do that almost every day for 10 minutes, sometimes twice.

The second thing would be a high protein low carbohydrate diet. I do lapse on that, but lets say 70 % I do it. Carbs are converted to sugar, if not utilized they are stored in the body as fat. Proteins are stored in the liver as glycogen and eg if ever you were starving the liver would release them. Or during high intensity exercise the body starts pulling them out.  Carbs during exercise are used immediately, which is good. But if you continue eating them while not exercising, they simply deposit in the body. In a male primarily the abdomen.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, chris49 said:

I rode 68 km fairly easy on Friday.

The team rode 51 km all off the main roads on Saturday.  Those on my FB may view the Videos. Riding barangay roads and muddy trails over 3 full hours, with another hour ride back home.

I do all that, 300 km a week, sometimes taking an easy week.

However. The single most important tip I can give you past age 60, is lift weights. I do that almost every day for 10 minutes, sometimes twice.

The second thing would be a high protein low carbohydrate diet. I do lapse on that, but lets say 70 % I do it. Carbs are converted to sugar, if not utilized they are stored in the body as fat. Proteins are stored in the liver as glycogen and eg if ever you were starving the liver would release them. Or during high intensity exercise the body starts pulling them out.  Carbs during exercise are used immediately, which is good. But if you continue eating them while not exercising, they simply deposit in the body. In a male primarily the abdomen.

Good exercise routine you have and also good advice. Yes, diet and exercise are both important in keeping fit and healthy.