While on the subject of terrorism in the Philippines.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

"There has to be Evil so that Good can prove it's purity above it"

Buddha

5 minutes ago, Nephi said:

Agreed. Lets just hope that action is something we can live with without having to evacuate the country. I wonder just how many of us really would leave if our respective home countries ordered an evacuation?

Having a Country to evacuate to is a Privilege only a few have in troubled times.

One has only to look at the mess in Europe now.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, i am bob said:

There aren't enough ASG to worry about that...  After this weekend they will be running without a break to catch their wind...

Does this mean they will be "breaking wind"?

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, DonJuanMatus said:

I was thinking about going to Dipolog next week to see a girl for the first time.  Now I'm wondering if it's not a good time to go.

Are you a gambler?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, scott h said:

With respect Nephi, this isn't an Oliver Stone movie. Not everything is a conspiracy. This is a natural reaction. Remember the Filipinos don't use English like we do. This state of "lawlessness" is nothing more that what we would term a state of emergency. Remember the LA riots? Troops were on the streets in 36 hours. 9-11? The USA shutdown for 3 days, and troops where at the airports for weeks after.

As for "escaping"?, why would I? I am not politically active (who Marcos went after) I am not a drug dealer or user (who Duterte is going after).

In fact, if they put a fire team of soldiers at every corner, it might just solve the counter flow problem:hystery: (that's a joke guys)

Honestly, I don't know where people are getting these "martial law" ideas, unless it from anti-Duterte media.  They were saying this before he won the election and now they keep pushing it.  Why would he need martial law for the entire country when most of the country backs him?  Now, it is possible that some sort of martial law could be needed in a specific area, e.g., if Abu is cornered, etc.

Evacuation?  From what?  The only general evacuation I could foresee would be if the Chinese do something stupid.  If you are down in Southern Mindinao, you have already be told not to be there, so evacuate as needed.

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

With respect Nephi, this isn't an Oliver Stone movie. Not everything is a conspiracy. This is a natural reaction. Remember the Filipinos don't use English like we do. This state of "lawlessness" is nothing more that what we would term a state of emergency. Remember the LA riots? Troops were on the streets in 36 hours. 9-11? The USA shutdown for 3 days, and troops where at the airports for weeks after.

As for "escaping"?, why would I? I am not politically active (who Marcos went after) I am not a drug dealer or user (who Duterte is going after).

In fact, if they put a fire team of soldiers at every corner, it might just solve the counter flow problem:hystery: (that's a joke guys)

Could be but I've lived here quite a few years and have seen some strange happenings. One thing's for sure. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. I'm with you though in that I am here to stay and simply would not leave. As long as retirement and social security keeps arriving each month I won't complain.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Nephi said:

have seen some strange happenings

Now  THAT I will drink to.....:hystery:.

One thing to keep in mind about all this martial law business. If I read my history right, and according to my wife (who we can all agree is NEVER wrong). Marcos only declared martial law towards the end of his presidency and he couldn't run again. So we have another 5 years to see if history repeats itself :thumbsup:.

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, scott h said:

One thing to keep in mind about all this martial law business. If I read my history right, and according to my wife (who we can all agree is NEVER wrong). Marcos only declared martial law towards the end of his presidency and he couldn't run again. So we have another 5 years to see if history repeats itself :thumbsup:.

That is correct. And having been stationed at Clark from 77-80 it really didn't affect me at all. As far as I'm concerned it will be business as usual.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

As for the cost of living, the difference probably wouldn't be much more than a couple hundred dollars a month for small town Florida, but there would be other benefits. The US is more expensive partly because of minimum standards. In the US your house could be condemned and you wouldn't be allowed to live there for not having running hot water for one example. Roads and internet will probably be an improvement. Less no stock sir. Medical will probably be better than Dumaguete but it will cost you more, but then again, they would treat you even if you refused/ could not pay. How is your heart? I know Duma is not set up to handle that?

• Like 1