Buying Gadgets and most other stuff online

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Queenie O. said:

That was my plan Robert. Lets say the seller though, is willing to ship to me from the US--after I pay either the listed USPS shipping or Priority shipping listed, do you think that there will be an added fee when the item arrives at my post office?

Also, I used to have a PayPal account in the States, put it's closed by now. How can I get a new dollar PayPal account from here in the Philippines?

Anyone who wants to chime in here is welcome...

Yes you will have to pay Philippine duty and or tax. Look up the threads on Balikbayan boxes. That is what people use attempting to sidestep the process.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, robert k said:

Yes you will have to pay Philippine duty and or tax. Look up the threads on Balikbayan boxes. That is what people use attempting to sidestep the process.

Oh yes--things of considerable size and weight are best shipped BB Box way. What if my item was an article of clothing or sandals or something light like that, do you think that the duty or tax would be fairly reasonable/doable?

robert k
Posted
Posted
Just now, Queenie O. said:

Oh yes--things of considerable size and weight are best shipped BB Box way. What if my item was an article of clothing or sandals or something light like that, do you think that the duty or tax would be fairly reasonable/doable?

Sadly yes Queenie. I would suggest buying more or saving up a load to send to make it worthwhile. If it's really cheap and can be proved to be cheap, you can decide if you still want it after tax has been applied. Not great but it is what it is.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

do you think that there will be an added fee when the item arrives at my post office?

As the saying goes Queenie "you buy your ticket, and take your chances!". In my experience, any box that comes through the mail (Philpost via USPS) has to be picked up at the post office. Every time I have picked up a package at the local Post office, I have been asked to open it. Then it is up to the postal inspector to determine if the item(s) are taxable or not.

That's just MY experience.:whistling:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, robert k said:

Sadly yes Queenie. I would suggest buying more or saving up a load to send to make it worthwhile. If it's really cheap and can be proved to be cheap, you can decide if you still want it after tax has been applied. Not great but it is what it is.

The tricky part too is you don't really know what the exact amount of the tax/duty will be until the item arrives. I guess it's a matter of how badly I want that item! -

robert k
Posted
Posted
Just now, Queenie O. said:

The tricky part too is you don't really know what the exact amount of the tax/duty will be until the item arrives. I guess it's a matter of how badly I want that item! -

Yes Queenie, Dave Hounddriver has mentioned that he has told them to keep it if they get way out of line with the tax. 

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, scott h said:

As the saying goes Queenie "you buy your ticket, and take your chances!". In my experience, any box that comes through the mail (Philpost via USPS) has to be picked up at the post office. Every time I have picked up a package at the local Post office, I have been asked to open it. Then it is up to the postal inspector to determine if the item(s) are taxable or not.

That's just MY experience.:whistling:

Hmmmn--what if it arrives at my little rural town post office, is it sort of helpful if the postal people know me personally, and it's more arbitrary, or is there a kind of a set equation on how it's calculated?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, robert k said:

5 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Yes Queenie, Dave Hounddriver has mentioned that he has told them to keep it if they get way out of line with the tax.

Well Robert seeing that I'm into vintage Hawaiian dresses and vintage or unique things in general, I know that I already have it in my mind that I WANT that item, so I guess I'll just have to have some extra  money set aside for those fees, and just take my chances..-

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Queenie O. said:

Well Robert seeing that I'm into vintage Hawaiian dresses and vintage or unique things in general, I know that I already have it in my mind that I WANT that item, so I guess I'll just have to have some extra  money set aside for those fees, and just take my chances..-

Queenie, I would hope they just charge the minimum. I think DH said it was 112 php.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, robert k said:

Queenie, I would hope they just charge the minimum. I think DH said it was 112 php.

Doable!! As long as any fee is not outrageous, I could deal with it. Knowing me I'd pay whatever LOL if I wanted it bad enough. I remember Dave refused the high fee, but his SO went back and payed to get her camera from what I recall.

Edited by Queenie O.